+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: City Gardener on HGTV

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar

City Gardener on HGTV

Saturdays 11pm e/p
    Known as The City Gardener, host Matt James utilizes a different approach and some inspirational, easy-to-adopt guidance so urban dwellers can create a haven in the most unlikely of spots. James, who has also been dubbed as the "fresh face of modern gardening," focuses on harmonizing the gardens with the owners' interior house styles.

This is one of HGTVs "Digs" shows. While set in the UK (primarily London) is is full of great urban gardening info. I don't live in the burbs, most of my friends either live in Victorian era homes with small gardens, or in Mid-Century mid/high rises with the only outdoor areas being balconies. Matt really addresses these kinds of gardens.

Last weeks was about high rise container gardening. I now have a lot better idea of what I'm gonna do with my terrace.

Edited to add: Plus Matt is soooo cute!
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

I really like the Digs hour that HGTV put together. I watched night's episode that was filmed in Leicester. I always am amazed as the racial diversity that they have in modern England, to see a British accent come out of Bhavanna's and Nigel's mouths was delicious. Anyway back to the garden. I enjoy Matt James as the host as he reminds me of the Australian host of Crocodile Diaries. Alot of energy and enthusiasm for the job. This week's garden was a huge project and I was suitably impressed with the hard work everyone did, it reminded me of all the backbreaking work it takes to dig a hole in the compacted clay with have as soil here in Northern Virginia. I was thrilled to see that little backhoe, I wanted to go buy one, it was the cutiest piece of garden equipment I have ever seen. I was very impressed with the garden design. The 3 changes in levels, the patio, the deck and the secret garden. I loved the use of materials. The brick stairs to the wooden asymmetrical deck. I would kill for that shallow steel pool, (where can I get one) to the slate retaining wall the concrete seating area and the wooden deck with bamboo screeening for walls. Matt also has a repeating theme of putting things on an angle. The initial entertainment deck was at an angle, the steel pool was at an angle and so where the 2 concrete sitting areas, I think that the secret garden was also at an angle. I do wish that we had had an overhead shot of the entire place. What was also unbelievable was the amount of plant material they installed. I also like how Matt was able to incorporate the home owner's taste, simple clean lines, modern furniture and just make the garden and extension of her home.

I do wish that they had given a timeline. Most of the shows look as if they just take several days to accomplish this show obviously took several weeks of very hard work.

That steel pool was so cool. I would guess that a local metal working/hvac ducting shop could make one. I loved how the frame just made it look like it was sunk in to the ground.

Anyone watch last night's episode about Dani Lee her dog Button and her Tiny back yard in Leeds. If nothing else I am learning the geography of England. I liked the tiny space that Dani had, 2 by 3 meters which translates into about 12 by 18 ft. I am not a fan of boxwood hedges due to the smell, not my favorite and the maintenance, constant pruning to maintain the shape. I liked the design and the pond, but I am not a fan of gravel. I want a solid surface under my feet. I liked the full feeling the garden had, but even Matt said they over planted and I wonder how overgrown it will look in 3 yrs when most perennials will reach their maximum growth. Still I enjoy this show and its great to see how other people live.

Interesting show last night. I think they mentioned that the house was in the southern part of London. I like how Matt James expands the feel of the house into the garden and just makes it another room of the house. They did mention that a finished garden can add $18,000 of value to the homes asking price if they ever plan to sell. It was cool to use a paisley design, very 60's and incorporate it into the garden, I loved the idea of the sunken living room and the hanging chair. No one mentioned the fountain but I thought the 3 stone globes were really cute. It is amazing that in such a small space you can incoporate 3 level changes, lighting, water and atmosphere. I do wonder how much maintenance the garden will entail and how the heck do you mow the lawn?? With one of those small self propelled mowers??

Usually they would use either an old fashion push mower or an electric one. This was one of my favorite renovations, as mid-20th century modern is my personal style. They got a lot $5400.00, especially since they spent $1070 (Sale priced) on the Kartell table alone. I loved the water feature as well. Mu only fault was that the swing chair was so high up you'd new a step up to get into it.

I love that show! I try to remember to watch it every week. I, too, enjoy that wonderful accent. I would love to live over there and be around it all the time. Does anyone remember that gardening show they used to have on BBC America? That one was so cool. They would do amazing things to the garden. One had a sliding deck that covered some water. I even did a search and can't find it.
    ETA: I remembered it was from Scotland. It was called Homefront. I loved it.
    Last edited by agamergirl; 07-10-2005 at 01:12 PM.
    "I'm burning up a sun just to say goodbye." Dr. Who (10th doctor and my favorite)

Home Front in the Garden is a fantastic show, and Diarmuid Gavin is dreamy. He does amazing modern gardens, but the budgets for them must be astronomical.

Doesn't that hanging chair need a pillow, I mean, otherwise you would slip right through. Or, just hang there stuck until the neighbors or local emergency team would rescue you. How embarassing.

It wouldn't be comfortable to sit on that bare rattan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast