+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: City Gardener on HGTV

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I loved this garden! While Matt essentially scrapped everything in the space, he used textures and materials (rusted rebar, railroad sleeper ties, chimney pots, etc) that made it seem as if it had been there forever. The chamomile running between the pavers was brilliant.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

I really loved last nights episode. Matt was able to make an exotic garden for the somewhat irritating Jane in the cold and rainy northwestern Manchester suburb. I liked the decking that meandered through the yard to the pergola.

I sorta half slept through the episode spo did not catch the owner's personality. Did catch the meandering path. I liked the grid materials and the one that was bubbler/ fountain. Matt is amazing as far as the use of materials and making these small spaces seems huge.

11/26 - front yard in Plymouth

Matt was in Plymouth doing this huge south facing front yard. I like how at the beginning he went over issues like: privacy, security, noise. These are not always addressed. I liked how he said you have to balance privacy vs security. If you put in huge hedges, no one can see the thief. But on the other hand if you are lounging on your front porch do you want the whole world to see you. I also like his use of materials, and that he likes gravel and how it is a wonderful security device because you can hear people (thieves) walking on it. Again, to repeat, as far as hardscape, he used flagstone, those granite sets he likes, he also used the granite sets to make a circular pattern and put in those round twig spheres, those grid steps (made out of what??), wood risers for the fountains and flagstone. I also like the idea of putting in waterfalls to hide the traffic noise. Matt also used lighting in the fountains and some spot lighting for some of the speciman trees. Half an hour is not enough time to really highlight everything that was done to this place. Those fountains were gorgeous. Matt does really great water features. I also like how he was able to divide the front yard into rooms. The upper terrace was the sun porch. Then there was the shady reading lounge area. Then there were the gridded steps to again lounge on next to the water feature. I like his advice on how to deal with damaged plants. Cut them they will grow back. I do wish that the director that did this show and the 2 previous would do what they have been in the other shows and that is after the garden is finished do a nice over head view showing all the levels and the different materials. This was a wonderful structure and it was not shown to its best advantage.

12/10

Matt is in York attempting to do another L-shaped garden. I like the little pathways behind the houses that Matt is walking through. It would be scary at night with someone chassing you. I like that in England the big wheeled garbage cans that we have are called wheelie bins. That is so cute, its a wheelie bin. I think I will start using it over here in the USA. What was also a great idea is that at the garden centers you can buy sticky paper with print of things to put on your wheelie bin so you really don't see this big ugly black bin standing in your back yard. In this case the couple, the Days, put on sticky paper that had a picture of a plant on the Wheelie bin and once it was in the garden it just dissappeared.

The couple spent $7,000 on this garden $450 each on 2 tree ferns. $500 for this really, cool stainless fountain. Some expensive cedar flooring for the decking. Matt put in 3 levels. the first was sandstone paving, than a step up to decking around the corner and then another step up and more decking ending in build in brick seating. All the paving and decking material was put in at a 45 degree angle to make everything seem bigger. With all the hardscape going in I didn't think there would be room for any plantings. But there were these little pockets for Matt to use plus he put ivy planters on the bruick wall separating the neghbors. He literally made and outdoor room and with the tree ferns shading the seating area he immediately created a cacoon of green.

The only bad part about the show is I found out that Matt has a girlfriend. Boo Hiss.

That stainless fountain was incredible. A steel monolith jutting up from the cedar decking a small distance away from the brick wall, it just filled with water and overflowed down the sides. I could just imagine the sunlight reflecting on it as the water ran down it, reflecting all around the garden. Yet another example of just how good of a landscape architect Matt is.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom View Post
    That stainless fountain was incredible. A steel monolith jutting up from the cedar decking a small distance away from the brick wall, it just filled with water and overflowed down the sides. I could just imagine the sunlight reflecting on it as the water ran down it, reflecting all around the garden. Yet another example of just how good of a landscape architect Matt is.
    There have been some great fountains on this show, I wonder what company Matt uses. Cause here in the States at the garden centers in Virginia and Maryland all I see are the standard stone and clay, frog sprouting water, carp sprouting water, St Francis, the lions head sprouting water. Copper ones in the catalogs. The shallow stainlees pool he used in one was fantastic, the shallow bowl he used in the silver and lavender garden was to die for and the one the stainless steel wall was fantastic. I like how he has them situated in the wood decking so the water looks as if it disappears into the deck.

PS If Matts girlfriend considers herself a garden widow I will take him.

I thought that Matt said that he ordered the fountain over the internet. Most garden center selections are based on what is going to have the most appeal to the widest possible tastes. They will almost always go for the more traditional garden features (gnomes, windmills, etc.). I think that you might have to look to other sources for such items. Metalworking and farming supply stores could be places to source such things. Matt has also used more easily found items, but trimmed them with modern touches, such as steel flashing around a plastic pond tub.

Brekkie Boy
    Really interesting getting your views on this considering I'm a Welshman. Unfortunately you lot "across the pond" don't seem to get alot of UK shows - especially our flagship drama, comedy and entertainment programming (though alot of UK formats are remade for US networks), but you get a few on the various cable networks etc.

The City Gardener though admitedly isn't a regular watch of mine, when I do catch it you get an interesting and informative 30-minutes of television.

One thing always makes me laugh though - how Matt always pops off to the garden centre whenever any heavy digging/lifting seems to be required!

Quote Originally Posted by Brekkie Boy View Post
    Really interesting getting your views on this considering I'm a Welshman. Unfortunately you lot "across the pond" don't seem to get alot of UK shows - especially our flagship drama, comedy and entertainment programming (though alot of UK formats are remade for US networks), but you get a few on the various cable networks etc.

The City Gardener though admitedly isn't a regular watch of mine, when I do catch it you get an interesting and informative 30-minutes of television.

One thing always makes me laugh though - how Matt always pops off to the garden centre whenever any heavy digging/lifting seems to be required!
    Hey, he does alot of the concrete cracking, that was a jack hammer he was using on the last show. Some of the home owners should work that hard; its called sweat equity, and wasn't the misses always handing out the window while her hubby and Matt were working. mmmmmmm.......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast