+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: City Gardener on HGTV

As I have mentioned before I am not a big fan of raised lawn beds but I liked the three circles and the stainless steel frames very much. I thought Matt's friend was very lucky to get such a large garden in the city center, the space with all those trees and bamboo will definitely be a haven from the stress of work and life in general. You could really get a feel of the 3 rooms. Again I liked how Matt educates the viewer into getting the correct type of bamboo, the noninvasive type. I like other posters thought the only way to contain bamboo is to plant it in a container. Matt's friend did specify that he wanted the decking in front of the shed to do some woodwork, which is why that was placed there. This is not the first time I have seen Matt place chairs and tables on gravel, but after seeing him place such a firm understructure under the gravel that may not be that bad an idea.

There is such a precious moment during the show when Matt is communing with the plants as he decides the placement, it is almost orgasmic.

What is the name of the episode where he did the yard in circular shapes with a round globe fountain. Very mid-century modern! There were three levels that built up toward the back. I liked that one so much I was saving it, but we recorded so much stuff it got bumped off my Tivo before I got around to sketching the plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies
    Another reason I like this show is that I've always lived on the west coast of the U.S. and terrace or row houses with cramped space are foreign to my experience.
    All of the new construction out in CA is cramped with no space, lol! And no yards. They are crammed right up on each other, so they might as well be row houses! They make the back yards in City Gardener and Ground Force look positively palatial.
    Last edited by Harvest; 09-06-2005 at 01:56 PM.

I think, if I remember correctly it was a couple in south London that had a row house that they just finished doing in a very 60's style and they made sure that they got some 60's patio furniture, there was a hanging chair in the backyard alos. I remember that they had a small water feature that consisted of 3 grey stone globes lying on a bed of smooth round pebbles. I think all 3 of the globes were bubblers. Matt really did not mention the water feature as much as emphasize the lighting in the garden so the couple could use it during the evening, But the fountain was there and in the 3D rendition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata
    I think, if I remember correctly it was a couple in south London that had a row house that they just finished doing in a very 60's style and they made sure that they got some 60's patio furniture, there was a hanging chair in the backyard alos. I remember that they had a small water feature that consisted of 3 grey stone globes lying on a bed of smooth round pebbles. I think all 3 of the globes were bubblers. Matt really did not mention the water feature as much as emphasize the lighting in the garden so the couple could use it during the evening, But the fountain was there and in the 3D rendition.
    Yes, that's it! There was something about the way he terraced that yard as well as the water feature etc. that looked so cool to me. I wanted to sketch it out in case I ever had a similar back yard, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest
    Yes, that's it! There was something about the way he terraced that yard as well as the water feature etc. that looked so cool to me. I wanted to sketch it out in case I ever had a similar back yard, lol

I think Matt painted out a circular area by the back wall and they dug down about 1 ft or so and then he edged the area with a short wall of bricks. That way they were 3 level changes. You could step out on to the patio area. Then up on to a grassy area and then down into the back area. I think the reason Matt did that is if you sit down back there either on the grass, the wall or hanging chair the walls would seem higher and later with the plantings larger you would get a sense that you were totally enclosed in a secret garden.

Matt does an art deco inspired garden. After watching all these episodes, I can honestly say that the one he did in Scotland with the ugly water feature and the border made of the round sticks has been the worse.

I liked what he did here compared to what they had but doesn't anyone else think that the back raised container was a tad too big. One good thing about it was that you don't have to bend over and wreck your back planting in it. I don't get the impression that the male have of the couple really liked it. But now that they demolished the shed where are they going to keep the mower to cut the grass???

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    That center container was too large and too much in the center of the garden. It let a silly little walk between it and the backwall. It would have been better in my view if it had actually been placed against the back wall, with maybe a bench built into it. Otherwise, it was well executed and the plants were lovely.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom
    That center container was too large and too much in the center of the garden. It let a silly little walk between it and the backwall. It would have been better in my view if it had actually been placed against the back wall, with maybe a bench built into it. Otherwise, it was well executed and the plants were lovely.
    I didn't understand why he left that big container stand away from the wall and leave the footpath which was the former shed. I do agree and I would have looked better against the back wall with a build in bench. That additonal 3 ft would have added an enormous sense of space in such a compact area. He could even have added some wooden benches with storage in them as seating for that back container.

Another repeat but I only had seen the last bit of this before. They are in Nottingham, as in Nottingham Castle, Sherwood Forest, Robin Hood. I have been there and the castle is actually on this huge rock and at the base is an old inn called the Way to Jeruseluem Inn, where the crusaders used to stop by before they went to save the Holy Land. Its really neat since it is built into the rock base. Any way the homeowner lives in a Victorian row house near the base of the rock. She is wheel chair bound and has an L shaped yard, really overgrown and wants to be able to have access to it and enjoy it. It is a sheer mess cleaning it up as there is an old concrete pond out there that poor Matt has to dig out.

I have to give Matt alot of credit to be able to transform this mess into a livable space for $5,400. The conrete slabs he uses look like brick but are inexpensive to use and look great, he hires a profesional to lay it out and also builds a samll ramp from the back of the house to give Juliette access to the yard. Juliette has a lot of the old Victorian garden tile with the roping on top and they use that to edge the concrere slabs and I must admit it looks great. They also found some old Victorian bricks that Matt recycled into a raised planter bed. Matt also put in a quarter oak barrel water feature, He made sure alot of things are easy for Juliette to access and this garden really adds value to the house and creates a wonderful outdoor room for the homeowner.

11/12 -Cardiff, Wales

Matt is in Cardiff, Wales to help a girl with her garden. She is a stewardess on long haul flights so she needs a very low maintenance garden, but she wants a cottage type garden and those can be very high maintenance. She recently bought a terrace house (row house) but has what looks as a big square back yard, all covered in concrete slabs. They crew demolishes all the conrete and removes a lot of the soil underneath the concrete because according to Matt is has been convered by concrete therefore not exposed to any nutrients and is techniquely dead soil. So they need to replace that soil with nice healthy stuff. The girls sister is a florist and has her own shop down the road so they visit her and Matt decides that they will build a garden based on scents. The garden with have new pavers and raised beds made of railroad ties to hold small trees. They so put in new fencing in the back or stain or paint it. They put in a new landing and steps down from the house to the yard. The best part of this show is when they go to a reclamation yard (junk yard) looking for pieces to make a pergola and pots. Now I just want to get a whole bunch of stuff cause they have chimmey pots, and fountains and sculptures and all kinds of great Victorian stuff that would cost tons over here but not so in the UK. I am so jealous. Matt wants to make a pergola from some old rusty rebar but the homeowner is not so sure but in the end Matt gets his way. The end products is fabulous especially that he planted chamomille in the paver cracks and it just smells lovely when you step on it. The homeowner is so overwhelmed that she is crying and just calls herself the gardens water feature.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast