+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: City Gardener on HGTV

Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom
    I loved the Newcastle episode. Once again, Matt created interesting, usable outdoor living space in a difficult area. My only change might have been to leave out the bar/bench cloest to the door. Had he used a moveable freestanding piece there, the option to use the space for parking would still have existed. While the client said that he wouldn't use it but still wanted the option for resale, a new owner would have to tear out the bar to actually use it.

I loved those copper containers, those surely were a sizable chunk of the budget. With the expensive roller door, I have to wonder how he got so much out of $3200.
    I agree with you as far as making the bar area mobile, that makes so much sense, that way a futrue owner does not have to demo the garden.

I figured that those copper containers for the really big plants and he only had about 3 or 4 of them are a minimum $100 each, even going up to $200. Although, I know in my area the professional landscapers get a discount from the gardening centers. So maybe Matt got the professional discount????

Matt is in Bristol and helping out 2 flatmates in a garden flat redo their garden. I liked how they showed the inside of the flat and how modern it looks. The lounge or main living space looks out directly onto the garden and Matt wants to make sure that the garden is another space of the flat and that the flow is seemless. I think this is my favorite so far. That by gutting the yard, taking all the plantings and grass out and by putting a patio in, painting the walls, again his favorite cobblestone and focus water feature really sets this garden apart. I did notice that he added some outdoor lighting on the back wall but that was never mentioned. The theme of this garden is gray and purple. I love lamb's ears but have never used them I also like the artemesia but it is so invasive that I hope Matt put it in a pot. The out door storage benches were great, were there 2 or 3?? But what really sets this garden apart is the water feature. That low slung aluminium water fountain is wonderful and I like the graceful way that the water just flows into it. The diagonal lines of the patio just guide your eyes to that water feature, I really get a very zen like feel and it is definitely relaxing. Matt an excellent job.

That garden alone would be a big plus in making me buy the place.

I totally agree. Matt rocks. I loved when he drove around the neighborhoods and almost cried at the lack of flowers and green in the front spaces - you really couldn't call a parking pad a front lawn or garden. He had fun this week and I think there was a bit of flirting going on with the non-owner flatmate.

This fountain I liked - you are right about the Zen feel to the space. The diagonal and the view from the lounge were well thought out and crafted. And the benches will stand up to weather - particularly by placing the plastic bins inside. Good thinking, Matt!

I stay up late on Friday nights just for this show.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    This was the first episode that I saw when the show started on HGTV. I some times think that people get too caught up in the idea of a lush green lawn, when they should think about how they use their outdoor space. In the UK, where they usually don't have large yards (and homes are generally smaller), it's important to make the garden as usable as possible. Matt really does that.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Matt does a terrace house garden. This was unusual in that the couple was still renovating the inside and it looked pretty much gutted and they were throwing alot of the stuff in the garden. Matt was concerned that after the garden was done that it would be ruined because the couple would continue to use it as a dumping ground.

Although I am not a fan of the small raised lawn beds that he does, what I like about all his designs is that they are a pleasure to look at from up above. The textures and colors and design just feed the soul and that is very important especially in a crowded city that when you look out your back window you can look down and something pretty. It is very relaxing, and soothes the soul and very likely lowers your blood pressure. What is misleading a bit from the angles is that the couple said they were very social and wanted to entertain and with the raised beds and lawn feature it didn't look as it there was that much space but when the camera finally angled back to the house you realize that the walk way back into the house is actully quite long and wide and could accomodate a lot of people. I like the way he laided out the patio with the concrete patio blocks and the gravel. I must admit that I liked the bistro talbe and chairs. Also the willow fence was a nice touch.

8/27 -episode

Matt is in South Hampton to help out an old college buddy do his garden. Phillip has bought a small terrace house in a popular area for students and has a very big back yard. He is not a garderner (Matt has some concerns there) and every thing in his back yard is dead. I get the impression that there were a lot of weeds and Phillip sprayed it all. Matt sets up a design of a winding path. The path starts at the back patio, where they will build a pergola, and ends at the back of the yard in a circular patio which will act as the base of a secret garden. What I liked about this design is that Matt had the walls, gardern shed and pergola all painted a chocolate brown to contrast very nicely with the plantings. You don't always think about how the wall color will contrast with the plantings, but I have noticed several times that Matt does take wall color into consideration. Matt makes a winding path of pink, grey and silver sets, (sets are cut stone but with very rough surfaces) I like the shape of the path, and later Matt will use gravel to fill in the spaces between sets and use the gravel in both patios. Now although it looks nice I am not a huge fan basically because I walk barefoot in my garden and all the stone will egdes will be quite hard on the feet. Again Matt manages to get in a huge variety of plants into the garden, which by the way he did for around $3,600 US dollars.

The shape of the path (which made the garden seem larger) and the circle with design at the center made me wonder if Phillip is into meditating. Then again it is sort of like a "car circle" because part of the path takes off to the back gate and the other toward the shed.

It was interesting to learn about the different grape vines and downhill drainage. I always wondered why they were planted on hills.

The garden already looks filled in - except for the climbing vines on the pergola - and I hope Phillip trims and cuts rather than sprays. Keep the poison out of the garden, Phillip.

Another reason I like this show is that I've always lived on the west coast of the U.S. and terrace or row houses with cramped space are foreign to my experience. Plus I love Matt's accent and giggle. Delightful.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielflies
    Another reason I like this show is that I've always lived on the west coast of the U.S. and terrace or row houses with cramped space are foreign to my experience. Plus I love Matt's accent and giggle. Delightful.
    I googled looking for flats and houses to rent in the UK out of curiosity and some of the realtors have floor plans and I was shocked how small a 1 bedroom apartment is. The living room/dining area averages around 15' X 11' a tiny kitchen and a bedroom usually about 10' x 11'. Maybe my memories of apartment days has faded but I am pretty sure that my first apartment (1 bedroom, 1 bathroom and 2 roommates) was twice as big, partly because we had a separate dining room and a eat in kitchen.

Finally! Naughty Bamboo! I can relate . Although I've lived my adult life in garden-less apartments, a friend with a yard had bamboo sprouting all over the place and designated me the bamboo yanker one weekend. What a horrible, icky job that was. Didn't have tools so yanked them out. Yuck. I'm so glad to know there is bamboo (pretty, too) that doesn't sprout like weeds.

I really liked the Brighton project because of the views from the house. It gave the appearance with the asymetrical green spots of a wandering forest. The tall tree plantings must have cost; but, because of construction of the highrise, it needed tall growth fast.

I was surprised Matt placed the table and chairs under cleared growth on gravel since he had moved a deck section from the house to in front of the work shed. I thought he would set up the seating there.

Another enjoyable show - especially the shots of the Brighton Pavillion. I thought of all the Regency Romances I'vew read that take place in Brighton. Wonder if any of the bathing machines are still intact?

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I really liked what Matt did with the Brighton backyard. It was a good sized space, and he made into 3 nice private outdoor rooms, that reveal themselves as you follow the gravel paths. I love bamboo, as well, but haven't really had to worry about it being invasive, as I keep in containers.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast