+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: City Gardener on HGTV

Another episode this time in a suburb outside of Manchester. What I like about this show is that Matt likes to walk through the neighborhoods and you get a real feel for what they are like. I know Matt did not like the sameness of the tract housing but I thought the brick driveway and road were mag. I would love to see that here in the States but the cost of the brick and having someone do it would be too high.

I liked how he divided the garden into 2 rooms, at first I thought the patio would be too big and you wouldn't be able to get enough plantings in. But afterwards it looks great. He literally added a new room to the back of the house. I also liked the no mowing feature. Those concrete slabs that looked like stone also looked great. Too bad I haven't seen anything like that at Home Depot or Lowes.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I really like how Matt gets inspiration for the gardens from parks, public gardens and green spaces in the local area. He really gives good advice on how you can go out and find what's right for your area.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Matt was in Glasgow last night and it does what it seems to a lot on this show, rain. Matt puts together another wonderful garden. He is able to correct a sloping backyard wby putting in a path and some serious grading. I liked that Matt and the couples friends were digging up the yard they discovered some buried treasure in the form of clay Victorian rope top edging. Looks as it it is quite valuable and they can sell it for quite a bit. Again he amazes me with the amount of plant material he gets into the garden. He uses a varied lot of hardscape material and I thought at first it would be way too much; wooden poles, sea pebbles, tree stumps, metal arches, another type of rock to form the 2 patio areas. I was surprised he was able to convince the couple to go along with the materials and the design. The worse part of the design was a water feature that was gifted to the couple. I must admit the best part of the show was watching Matt's reaction to that horrible water feature.

I truly like the 2 shows, City Garderner and Trading Up that are part of HGTV's Digs hour. Partly because it is nice to see watch our fellow allies the Brits are doing. Partly because of the personality of the hosts. British Tv is famous for having hosts with a lot of personality an perphaps not the best looks. TLC Trading Spaces Paige Davis is a prime example of pretty and perky ain't much and can be down right annoying.

Another comment that ties both shows together (GC & TU) is the god awful carpet in both houses. Some of the house interiors I see on both shows have truly hideous wallpaper and butt ugly carpet. One house had the Purple carpet with gold type flowers in it and the other had the blue carpet with some type of medallion pattern. Who designed this stuff and who bought it?

Omigawd, on Trading Up this week, it was apparent that the awful blue pub carpet that the people had in their home was fairly new. They actually choose it (and the horrible wall papers)!

I liked the garden in the Glasgow episode, but I didn't love it. The best parts about it was the use of the tree stump and boulders in with the foliage. I think it's just my personal taste, I just didn't like the log retaining walls. The water feature was horrible, the noise alone would make me exchange it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom
    The water feature was horrible, the noise alone would make me exchange it.
    I wasn't sure but was that noise really coming from that water feature, or were the producers dubbing the noise in? I mean it truly was awful.

Back in London and only a 1,000 pounds to redo a very small garden. I must say I liked the design better than last weeks in Glasgow, I just wonder how practical that sunk in hole for the table is after it rains or snows, all the drainage I saw was the gravel at the bottem. I must admit Matt James knows how to take advantage of very small spaces and create rooms that both delight and soothe the senses. He makes me want to move to England just so I can get him to do a garden reno for me.

Yes...I thought the table in the hole was quite cleaver - didn't realize when he mapped it out that a table would be involved. You're right though about drainage. Whenever one of these shows tries to create a "room" in the open air, I wonder about weather damage - whether from wind, rain, snow, etc. Not very practical. I did like the spot of green lawn and the flowering shrubs and THE tree was wonderful. I don't remember the name of it but there is an Australian tree that grows straight then bends in with its leafy branches becoming a shade canopy. I've always thought that would be perfect for a small yard. My folks had one in Oregon so they must be fairly hardy. Am enjoying this show and Trading Up as well.

8/7 show

We are up in Newcastle the farthest point north in England before you hit Scotland per Matt James. I'll have to go look at the map. It is a suburb full of row or terraced houses with very small front and back yards. I do like the alley ways behind the houses. I have to say I am impressed with what Matt did with this backyard. One reason I like watching this show is that because it is filmed in Europe and they have some very tight spaces you see some very intriging spacesaving devices such as the roll up garage door. That was the neatest thing. It was expensive and a electric one would have been twice as much. I thought Matt said that the manual one was either 300 or 500 pounds which would be about $570 to $950. I liked the level changes with the deck, and the patio. I liked the patio, either limestone or sandstone. Interesting to see Matt use a computer program to put together a pattern. I always like to watch him build the hardscape. The lighting was fascinating, especially the LCD lights he put into the deck flooring. What was interesting was the planning of the lighting and the watering systems of this garden to make it a truly low maintenance outdoor party room.The plants were the accessories. It is also interesting to note that what we call fire pits he calls a brazier.

For an investment of 1800 pounds (around $3,200 US) Matt increased the value of this property any where from 9,000 to 18,000 British pounds.

I loved the Newcastle episode. Once again, Matt created interesting, usable outdoor living space in a difficult area. My only change might have been to leave out the bar/bench cloest to the door. Had he used a moveable freestanding piece there, the option to use the space for parking would still have existed. While the client said that he wouldn't use it but still wanted the option for resale, a new owner would have to tear out the bar to actually use it.

I loved those copper containers, those surely were a sizable chunk of the budget. With the expensive roller door, I have to wonder how he got so much out of $3200.
    Last edited by Chorita KaBoom; 08-07-2005 at 03:01 PM.

"Coals to Newcastle"...yes, I liked this episode also. And I agree about making the bar moveable. I was surprised to see it next to the rolling door and not closer to the house entrance. I love the levels and the combo of wood and pavers and then the raised benches and planters. Whew! Makes you want a tight space that you can turn into an intimate space.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast