+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Property Ladder - New show on TLC

Another episode of people that have no idea about the work and cost of remodelling. They all seem to think you just slap a few things together in a day or so and call it good so you can rake in the money. The husband at least had a schedule, just too bad he didn't have the ambition to help his wife. Who thinks they can redo a home and watch a snotgobbler at the same time? Leave that kid with a babysitter. They better hope they can unload that house sometime in the future before they try to tackle another home.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata
    I thought that if nothing else she could have reglazed the bathrooms white. That is not that expensive, cause leaving the bathrooms the way they were made it look as if she only did a half ass job renovating. I must admit the rest of the home looked great.

Would it really have cost that much to renovate the bathrooms, make at least the shower stall bigger? Does anyone know?? I wish Kristen had given us a figure.
    Just caught this episode yesterday....

I had this done to my bathtub, the entire bathtub surround, the cabinet top and the line of tiles around my countertop. I paid a little over $1000 for all of that. Granted, I think her two bathrooms would be bigger areas than what I had done and I also don't know how much it would cost in Texas, but my gosh, it would have made a huge difference (even IF she didn't do anything with the floors).

I was screaming the same thing, she could have saved on that outrageous refrigerator and put the money toward something that really makes a difference in the attractiveness of a home for sale!

Houston Episode

Wow, I couldn't believe home prices in the Houston area either. Even here in NC, a four-bedroom brick house with 2 car garage in a nice subdivision would be $200K on up.

I was glad to see them have an episode where the flippers did not get multiple offers, make an immediate sale, get over asking price, and make a huge profit. This episode showed the risks inherent in flipping in a less-than-hot real estate market, and the danger of setting one's asking price too high in same. I thought the house looked very nice when they'd finished it (except for the master bath!), and it would be a steal here in NC, but I have to wonder if they ever had to lower their price to get it to sell there.

I agree with others that the husband was a real tool. I liked the ex a lot better! And trying to renovate with a three year-old under foot would be a fate worst than death, I think. Between those factors and their super low budget, they were pretty much doomed from the start, I think.

Emily

H2O
    Quote Originally Posted by reality_emily
    I was glad to see them have an episode where the flippers did not get multiple offers, make an immediate sale, get over asking price, and make a huge profit. This episode showed the risks inherent in flipping in a less-than-hot real estate market, and the danger of setting one's asking price too high in same. Emily
    The shot themselves in the foot pricing the house too high. When the realtors said the price was $10-$15K too high, I thought they might be in trouble. I didn't mind that it wasn't a happily ever after episode but they just didn't get it. Drop the price!

It was amazing what the wife was able to do with excellent paint colors and smart choices on tile.

The ex-husband was nice guy to help them out at all.

The husband was a know-it-all (but knew-nothing) jerk. I can't see how she traded up with husband number two.

...their super low budget, they were pretty much doomed from the start, I think. Emily
    I was amazed how much they were able to do on such a small budget. They didn't go over that tiny budget by much.

The husband's greed was their undoing.

I think they prepared the property for the flip pretty well. The master bath was the glaring unfinished spot with the medicine cabinet without doors (why?), the shoddy framing of the mirror (husband mistake) and old sinks/cabinets (husband mistake).

I say to the wife, you've got an arrogant, idiot man for a husband, good luck!

Wow, I couldn't believe home prices in the Houston area either. Even here in NC, a four-bedroom brick house with 2 car garage in a nice subdivision would be $200K on up.

I was glad to see them have an episode where the flippers did not get multiple offers, make an immediate sale, get over asking price, and make a huge profit. This episode showed the risks inherent in flipping in a less-than-hot real estate market, and the danger of setting one's asking price too high in same. I thought the house looked very nice when they'd finished it (except for the master bath!), and it would be a steal here in NC, but I have to wonder if they ever had to lower their price to get it to sell there.

I agree with others that the husband was a real tool. I liked the ex a lot better! And trying to renovate with a three year-old under foot would be a fate worst than death, I think. Between those factors and their super low budget, they were pretty much doomed from the start, I think.

Emily
    Around here, the kind of house you described would go for at least $400K, if not more.

I felt sorry for the wife, but I was glad that we finally got an episode where the show ended and it didn't seem like "See - any MORON can flip a property and make lots of money!"

It seems like many of the flippers on this show make their biggest mistakes in the bathrooms. For me, the most important rooms (and the costliest to redo) are the kitchen and the bathroom. Those are the most impactful rooms, imo, so if the bathroom looks like it came from the 70's, I won't want to deal with it. So what if you painted the bedrooms? I can do that myself when I move in!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Newbie
    Hi ~ I have a question. Where does all the furniture come from? Do they furnish the house?

Quote Originally Posted by my2sons
    Hi ~ I have a question. Where does all the furniture come from? Do they furnish the house?
    The idea is that a furnished home looks more appealing, therefore they either use their own furniture, as the male realtor in southern California did or they rent it or borrow from friends or a combination of all three.

As a sidebar I just came back from Home Depot and I was pricing pedestal sinks there and he could have gotten one for under $100, may not include the faucet and mirror though. Also there was a combo piece of sink partial storage cabinet and mirror for $219. So for an additional $438 plus tax they could have redone the vanity, they would have had to get an electrician to put some addtional lights in but a good redo of the master bathroom/bedroom and kitchen always gives you the most bang for your bucks.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata
    The idea is that a furnished home looks more appealing, therefore they either use their own furniture, as the male realtor in southern California did or they rent it or borrow from friends or a combination of all three.

As a sidebar I just came back from Home Depot and I was pricing pedestal sinks there and he could have gotten one for under $100, may not include the faucet and mirror though. Also there was a combo piece of sink partial storage cabinet and mirror for $219. So for an additional $438 plus tax they could have redone the vanity, they would have had to get an electrician to put some addtional lights in but a good redo of the master bathroom/bedroom and kitchen always gives you the most bang for your bucks.
    They could have put the money spent on custom blinds on redoing that bathroom. Simple cotton or muslin panels (A Sell This House trick) would have softened the windows without breaking the bank. If Alain couldn't master the mitre saw to frame that mirror, he could have made simple square blocks for the corners and but jointed the molding to them. That was just shoddy.

I thought that the couple's strategy were very poorly thought out regarding pricing and not listing the house with agents. As for leasing the house, that will cover they're mortgage, but they also run the risk of tenants undoing all their hard work.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom
    They could have put the money spent on custom blinds on redoing that bathroom. Simple cotton or muslin panels (A Sell This House trick) would have softened the windows without breaking the bank. If Alain couldn't master the mitre saw to frame that mirror, he could have made simple square blocks for the corners and but jointed the molding to them. That was just shoddy.

I thought that the couple's strategy were very poorly thought out regarding pricing and not listing the house with agents. As for leasing the house, that will cover they're mortgage, but they also run the risk of tenants undoing all their hard work.
    I was thinking the same thing, how many times have I seen Roger use simple blinds you can get from Pier One that cost less than $20 and simple white panels and the room looks great.

I was really impressed by the woman's parenting skills. She's got the patience of a saint.

As for cabinet refacing, I was thinking of doing that with my '70s dark brown kitchen, but now I may just buy new doors and drawer fronts. Has anyone done that and how costly is it?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread