+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Property Ladder - New show on TLC

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    It was the show with the Tattered Hydrangeas. The cops came because the ladies took down the neighbors no parking signs. They just got a warning.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

The frat Brothers, second time flippers. The first time was a disaster but we are not provided with details. Please give us details. It was interesting how they had solved the money problem by having a 3rd partner who put up the money. Still I thought the investor was being ridiculous, cutting the intended 8 wk renovation to 6 wks, to save money by not paying a second $3,000 mortagage payment. Trying to make that 6 wk deadline results in spending more money on labor cause you need 18 hr days to get that accomplished and that will cost you, especially at $20 and hour plus overtime. I don't think the cost of one less mortgage payment was equal the cost of the extra labor.

I do agree with Kristen about the loss of the downstairs bathroom and the poo color. It sounds as if the one frat brother was trying to cut costs by using paint they already have. That can cost you $20,000, as some people just do not want to be bothered to repaint so will not offer top dollar for the property.

Also, that trough sink in the master bath and the clawfoot tub I think were a mistake. I don't think that individually they are bad pieces. I do think that for the space the frat brothers had very poor space planning. A spa tub and a 2 sink vanity would have been better, although I don't think there was enough space for a 2 sink vanity but even a one sink vanity that was a good 4 to 5 ft long would have provided enough storage space.

If these guys had given themselves 12 wks to finish off all the little details and landsacaping, a solid surface kitchen counter and planning as far as the door to the garage is concerned I think they could have gotten $769,000 that they had wanted. But at least it looked as if the stunt man worked full time on this project and that they had a better idea of what was involved as far as usinig the professionals to help.

I thought they did very well making $750K considering how quickly they did the work and that they did cut some corners.

I agree about the master bedroom sink and clawfoot tub - poor choices. That tub did not fit in the bathroom at all - you need to have those where there is room at the end in case a tall person needs to hang their feet out, like that one woman who looked at it. A spa tub would have fit the space and style of the decor much better, and appealed to more people. And the trough sink was just impractical. I think most buyers would much rather see a traditional vanity with storage in a master bath. The powder room is the place for "concept" sinks, pedestal sinks, and the like, showy things that you want to wow your guests with. Also thought the W/D hookups in the powder room was "different" enough that they were lucky to get what they did for that house. I would have put bifold doors in front of the W/D area, like a built-in closet.

I did think the house looked MUCH better when they were done, though and that they made a good profit for their short time-frame. Now they can move onto their next project that much quicker and make more - after all, that one wanted to retire at 40!

Emily

FORT Fogey
    The frat brothers made some glaring mistakes and were just lucky someone was ready to pay for their renovation. The bathroom tiles were too taste specific and limited the colors one could use. Tan and green forever. Just one neutral color tile is best so the new owners have some room to change the decor in the future. The tub and sink were terrible. Why on earth does one need a utility sized sink in the bathroom? I guess you could bathe a golden retreiver if need be.

I don't think a washer and dryer in the downstairs bathroom was so terrible but I wonder where they would have located it had the door to the garage been approved. It is always better to have the laundry room on the same floor as the master bedroom. Had they thought of it, I bet there was room to incorporate that in the upstairs bath.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat
    I don't think a washer and dryer in the downstairs bathroom was so terrible but I wonder where they would have located it had the door to the garage been approved. It is always better to have the laundry room on the same floor as the master bedroom. Had they thought of it, I bet there was room to incorporate that in the upstairs bath.
    The washer and dryer were in the garage and they wanted easier access to it therefore the inside door to the garage. Alsthough every house I have lived in that has a garage we always had an inside door giving us access to the house, so not having an inside door to the garage did seem a bit odd.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata
    The washer and dryer were in the garage and they wanted easier access to it therefore the inside door to the garage. Alsthough every house I have lived in that has a garage we always had an inside door giving us access to the house, so not having an inside door to the garage did seem a bit odd.
    Thanks I missed that. No inside door to the garage is just nuts. Makes carting laundry and groceries a menace and for $750 grand. Oh my.

Trough sinks and free standing saoking tubs are very trendy right now, but even so, I don't think that they were a good idea for this house. Especially at the expense of surface area. The tiling in the bathroom was also horrendous. Quality materials, but they looked really bad together. I didn't think that the washer dryer in the powder room was too bad, but like reality_emily said, they should have enclosed them with bi-fold doors.

Originally they said that comparable houses in the area were selling for $650,000.00, yet the Real Estate evaluations were as much as $775,000.00? I'd really like to see a show from a different market, as their seems to be no way to lose in the California area.

Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom
    Originally they said that comparable houses in the area were selling for $650,000.00, yet the Real Estate evaluations were as much as $775,000.00? I'd really like to see a show from a different market, as their seems to be no way to lose in the California area.
    One of the episodes was filmed in a rural area in Tennessee, and the two female developers (the "Tattered Hydrangeas" - cute name) worked SO hard, and I thought for sure they'd make a lot more than they did. The cottage they flipped only sold for $119K - in California it would probably have been $400K, $500K depending on location, so that gave a real perspective of how important location, location, location is. California prices are just way outta whack!

Quote Originally Posted by reality_emily
    One of the episodes was filmed in a rural area in Tennessee, and the two female developers (the "Tattered Hydrangeas" - cute name) worked SO hard, and I thought for sure they'd make a lot more than they did. The cottage they flipped only sold for $119K - in California it would probably have been $400K, $500K depending on location, so that gave a real perspective of how important location, location, location is. California prices are just way outta whack!
    I saw that show, "Texas Tear-down Turmoil". So far that was the only one not in Cali. I think it was te best episode yet.

Eleanora from Austin Texas is doing her first property flip. Wow, she is a cutie, and I was surprised that she actually did manual labor. At least she had a very good general contractor. She had a realistic timeline, 12 weeks and met the deadline, but what really hurt her was imposing her taste on the the house and boy does she have expensive tastes. Get a load of her house. The girl must come from money else her husband is loaded.

I liked how she was able to bargain hunt and did the slate tile on the porch. Replaced the wrought iron with a simple column. Replaced the glass in the bay window, put in those french doors in the family room were wonderful improvements. At first I thought she was going over board on the kitchen remodel. Kitchen remodels almost always you make your money back. I was surprised when she showed us that the cabinets would only cost $3,000 dollars, I guess that did not include the installation fees. That and only $2,000 for the granite counters I thought was a steal. Then when she said she went from spending $2,000 to $8,000 on the kitchen I thought from what it looked like it was worth it. What hurt her was some of the structural problems but also not knowing when to quit. I did agree with Kristen about the cost of the appliances. A $1,000 frig can look the same as a $10,000 frig and only you would know the difference. I thought that if nothing else she could have reglazed the bathrooms white. That is not that expensive, cause leaving the bathrooms the way they were made it look as if she only did a half ass job renovating. I must admit the rest of the home looked great.

Would it really have cost that much to renovate the bathrooms, make at least the shower stall bigger? Does anyone know?? I wish Kristen had given us a figure.

+ Reply to Thread