+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 34 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Property Ladder - New show on TLC

Quote Originally Posted by mrnono View Post
    I found this link on moneycentral.msn.com in a story about Desperate home sellers, it's an auction for the Sacramento house.

http://myebid.com/cgi-bin/auction/vi...listingID=2113
    just adding urls tags
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

FORT Newbie
    Any one remember how much they paid? The auction is at $200K

I think I need to watch this show - I'd really like to know where one can pick up a condo in California for approx. $250,000 - in need of repairs, or not!

9/16/ - comments

Durham, California 90 miles outside of LA.

Wade and Denise, newlyweds, first time flippers. Using her money. Working only on weekends. No home inspection. He has his kids from a previous marriage every other weekend. Can we say disaster in the making, followed by a possible divorce.

First of all I was very surprised that this couple wanted to put $30,000 into this property and turn around and sell for $275,000. (they bought it for 175,000) That seemed very overpriced considering the surrounding houses, but I was wrong cause the realtors at the end of the show priced it at around that.

Still as first time flippers, and with Denise being a loan officer and a realtor I would have thought she would have been more knowedgeable about the flipping process. Wade made a budget based on prices of materials from the 80's and 90's. Duh moment here. Also with minimal skills on his part and no skills on her part they were going to drive up to Durham every weekend to work. Oh, not stay for the weekend, but drive up on Saturday and Sunday. How stupid is that. This entire project was supposed to take 8 weekends to do. HA HA HA! This couple can't even get out of bed and get to the flip until noon and they expect to get it done in 8 weeks. The other major mistake is not using professionals when needed. Oh, what scared me is all the termite damage that Wade expected to fix himself. This house was built in 1940 and he did not plan to upgrade the plumbing or electric. The breaker box didn't have switches in it, it had the old style fuses and he didn't know how to reset them. With the demand for cable and more phone lines and computers I can't believe he didn't think he would have to upgrade the electric. By the end of the show Wade was hiding reciepts from Denise and instead of taking 8 weeks to finish it took 21 weeks and their budget went from $30,000to $45,000. At this airing of the show the house had been on the market for over 6 weeks with no offers.

The next episode of Flip That House was an interesting contrast because it was a pair of female first time flippers. One of the ladies had construction skills and the other was the finance person. They had bought a house in Pflugerville, TX which has become a commuter suburb of Austin. They bought the house for $152,000 and planned to renovate with a budget of $50,000 and take 10 wks to do it. The ladies were are the house everyday working and they hired professionals to do the landscaping, help with the demo, putting in the new fence etc... They even said it was important to know when to hire professionals. These ladies also had major termite problems but they worked well together and put together a great product and were already planning their next flip.

I did think that the second ep of FTH would be a disasters because this couple had experience with flipping but this was their first time with a million dollar home. I persponally was not impressed with what they did especially in the kitchen and the black granite tiles. The black did not go with the neural tone of the travetine tile or backsplash. The black did not complement the honey oak tone of the cabinents. In fact it looked cheap and ugly. The motto I hear over and over again is that kitchens and master baths sell houses and the before and after pics did not have any wow factor. Maybe the new marble floors looked great in person but on the tv it just looked flat and blah.

I was very impressed with the two lady flippers in Texas. They really seemed to work well together and knew what they wanted and how to do it. (Especially after rewatching the PL show where it seemed everyone spent more time screaming at each other and were rather clueless!)

On the Texas show, the thing that made me go was when the father of one of the ladies was tearing out the posts to the old fence. The way his tractor (or whatever it was!) was going up in the air scared me!

The second Flip show, set in Thousand Oaks, did not impress me as much either. Maybe the kitchen would have looked better had they gone with a granite slab rather than granite tile and also replaced the white appliances. These people just gave me the impression that they were more into being on a TV show than anything else. I did like the work they did on the sides of the house, replacing those stepping stones with the poured concrete. I also noticed that they didn't seem to fix the stones on the pool that they said they wanted to replace.

Another moment was when they showed their little darlin playing with a light bulb on the floor. Gimme a break!

FORT Newbie
    So I think I'm the first male ever to post on this site but I watched the show last night with my wife and it drove me INSANE. I like those flipper shows, but the big problem with this one is that they never said how much the houses sold for or what the profit ended up being. What's up with that? Can long-time viewers tell me if this is a common occurance, or if they will reveal the results on later shows or maybe on TLC's website at some point? Anyway, I can't watch any more episodes until I find out what the deal is because it drives me crazy not to know the outcome...

Quote Originally Posted by marcellusw101 View Post
    So I think I'm the first male ever to post on this site but I watched the show last night with my wife and it drove me INSANE. I like those flipper shows, but the big problem with this one is that they never said how much the houses sold for or what the profit ended up being. What's up with that? Can long-time viewers tell me if this is a common occurance, or if they will reveal the results on later shows or maybe on TLC's website at some point? Anyway, I can't watch any more episodes until I find out what the deal is because it drives me crazy not to know the outcome...
    Its the filming schedule, not all the flips are sold right away and they have to edit the film and have it ready to show. So the editors go with the best possible info. On Flip That House the format of the show is more of getting a good estimate of value by a professional realty and just show the projected profits. On Property Ladder there seems to be a longer lead time and we do have sales and actual profits. Thing is on shows like Flip This House on A&E the Trademark edition, the San Antonio edition, and the Atlanta edition all have a selling branch of the business. Unfortunately the amateurs of Property Ladder don't think all the aspects of the business through and don't work the selling angle of the flip as much as the buying and renovating. Not a great answer but the best we can do.

FORT Newbie
    Look what the SAC. property ladder house sold for
    myebid.com/cgi-bin/auction/view?cmd=view&listingID=2113

90 miles, huh? That's quite a commute. Still...

I'll have to ask Hubby if he's heard of Durham. One has to be careful - some of the outlying towns are known as meth towns. And I've read about buying meth homes - even a year or more later those are still health hazards. Sometimes they're rehabbed and the buyer has no idea. But Durham could be a nice town, who knows. Thanks, Bearcata.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnono View Post
    Look what the SAC. property ladder house sold for
    http://myebid.com/cgi-bin/auction/vi...listingID=2113
    just adding url tags

Oh My God, $1,000,000. The house is not worth it.

Can you have fake bids on Ebay??

+ Reply to Thread