+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Property Ladder - New show on TLC

FORT Newbie

How much did Melanie make on the house?

I am sooo upset. We TIVO'd the show and the show must have went over the timeslot so we missed the last 2 minutes of it.

Did Melanie sell her house? If so how much? I saw she listed it and then called to reduce the price but that is where it ended.

Thanks,
    Jessica

FORT Regular
    She sold it for the full asking price (in less than a week) and I made $57,000 after fees. The numbers were Paid: 239k, Invested: 30k (15k over her plan), Sold: 339k.

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by jguitar View Post
    She sold it for the full asking price (in less than a week) and I made $57,000 after fees. The numbers were Paid: 239k, Invested: 30k (15k over her plan), Sold: 339k.
    Sorry talula79, I thought you were asking about the new episode with Nicole.

There are new episodes?!

They must have replayed each of the first ones about 10x!

I can't wait to check it out...

Emily

New episdoes of property ladder now on

I just watched a new Ep of Property Ladder. The Moffet Group 2 brothers and wife. One is a carpenter and the general contrator. He I felt sorry for because he was doing the carpentry, laying tile, putting up kitchen cabinets, being the general contractor and constantly doing supply runs. I felt sorry for him because the the sis in law kept complaing about stuff not done yet he was rebuilding the house by himself. It was a lot to do. At the end of the show and 12 wks of the house sitting on the market the house still had not sold.

In one sense I do like the people on A&E's Flip This House because they are good at finding houses that need cosmetic changes, paint, carpet etc ... not major rebuilds, and they also have a team that sells the house quickly. You have to also know what neighbourhoods to look in and how much to upgrade without losing your shirt.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 08-12-2006 at 10:27 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

TLC is running 2 eps of Property Ladder starting at 7pm which is the previous weeks show, at 8pm a new episode and then at 9pm and 9:30pm 2 half hour episodes of Flip That House. The people in FTH come across much more professional than the folks in PL. The FTH folks tend to know the real estate business, have remodeling skills and good contractors and can stick to a budget and building schedule. They also pick good houses to flip. On PL the flips are usually the first ones ever done and the flippers are amateurs who don't do their reasearch, can't stick to a budget and cut corners that hurt them in the long run. It was interesting to note in the second FTH ep the builder commented that most flippers use substandard materials and cut corners. I do think that TLC is setting up to cancel Trading Spaces cause it is now showing at 10pm.

The PL at 7pm was a million dollar house in Santa Barbara that 2 couples bought. Surprise, Surprise how it all fell on one guys shoulders and he got walking pnuemonia with the first 2 weeks and couldn't work for 2 ot 3 wks. What pissed me off is that none of the others stepped up and took control of the job and let it sit for that long doing nothing. I hate when the folks don't take Kristen's advice to put in a patio and french doors. I can't believe the couples were dissagreeing over wheather or not to put in 1 sink vs 2 sinks in the master bathroom. 2 sinks of course especially if both of you are up at the same time and need to get ready for work. That was a DUH decision. I do agree with Kristen that they should have had a plan ready on Day one. It takes a while to buy a house they had time to organize and price things. One thing I am learning is that kitchens and bathrooms sell houses and if you are doing high end the cabinets need to be high end. The Santa Barbara couple where lucky they sold that house with those cheap cabinets.

The second PL ep show all the things to do wrong on a flip. Pick the wrong neigborhood, (don't study the market), don't study how to make money off a flip, don't do a full inspection on a old house and then be shocked that there is dry rot, termites, foundation problems, plumbing problems. Any house over 50 yrs old will have to be brought up to code as far as plumbing and electrical. The second ep really showed that some contractors are not reliable and take your money and leave a mess. I am surprised that they were able to sell that house and not lose money. Also throwing down some grass seed at the beginning of the flip would have solved their landscaping problems. That is why I perfer FTH the folks have a clue what the market is about, have some construciton skills and have some good contractors and have a clue what people want. I loved the Las Vegas flip and the NOHO (Nothern Hollywood) flip. These guys show how it should be done, unfortunately they make it look easy.

August 26th

I think someone at HGTV is actually watching these programs before they schedule them. Again another night of Property Ladder, where you see amateur idiots get greedy and look as if they do everthing possible to bankrupt themselves vs. Flip That House, where you have professionals, who think things through use common sense, research their product and do a quality job.

FIrst is Ken on PL who does not plan, research, or use common sense wants to start a business flipping houses. After listening to his of list of failed business attempts I can only thank God that Ken has such a great wife. This guy needs to go back to school and get some brains. He is Mr. Do-Everything-Wrong, cuts corners, doesn't hire experts, doesn't listen to Kristen and goes from an unrealistic budget of $10,000 to $50,000 and a time line of 4 weeks to 12 weeks. But he sold the house and after fees will have $15,000 for technically 2 months of work on the house, they didn't count the 18 plus days the house sat on the market. I certainly hope the owners see this show and get in a house inspector to check all Ken's work. Maybe he skipped town.

What is this insane thing people do to texture the walls. Why??? I know everyone hates popcorn ceilings. Which is nothing but texture on the ceilings. If people hate it so much they won't buy a house with popcorn ceilings why do all these fiippers insist on doing it.

Next are 2 episodes of Flip That House. Ken what this show and learn how it should be done, from picking the right property in the right neighbourhood, having experts advise you, using them when needed because they save you time in the long run and time is money. Watch quality workmanship and materials be used. Get a clue how to be successful in this business.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    they didn't count the 18 plus days the house sat on the market.
    I wondered about that too. Do you think the investor paid cash? My boyfriend is in construction and he can't stand watching these guys because they're so clueless. (That's part of the fun for me ) But yeah, I'm surprised they're not learning a thing or two from Richard Davis.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    I wondered about that too. Do you think the investor paid cash? My boyfriend is in construction and he can't stand watching these guys because they're so clueless. (That's part of the fun for me ) But yeah, I'm surprised they're not learning a thing or two from Richard Davis.
    That was the thing at the beginning of the show he narrator mentioned that the investor had paid $143,000 in cash and that is not that bad a deal if he expected a 4 week turnaround and a $25,000 profit.

FORT Newbie

PL...Sharon

Ken was a wack job......but I spoke with IAN yesterday ...He said they sold the house and moved to Texas but was not aware of the bashing they are get on internet forums.

Sharon was a disapointment ..she worked as a director of networks for Direct tv in LA then quits to start MLM "program" she is not holistic work and that week long "training" she attended is a Amway style booster meeting so they can mmet "positive people and sell her "program" some booklet for $1400

+ Reply to Thread