+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Property Ladder - New show on TLC

10/16 - new episode

Melanie, owns her own Bali import business is going to first time flip a 70 yr old house with her mom, who flipped a property 30 yrs ago. Melanie bought the house for 750,000 plans to put in 50,000 of improvements and sell it for 980,000. Per Kristen good luck if you can do it.

First off, Melanie has no FYI experience at all. She did not research the flipping process and does not have a clear plan of what she wants done and of course does not listen to anything that Kirsten says. Surprise, surprise. I don't get people who have no building experience expect to come into the business and use the cheapest laborers ( you get what you pay for ) and expect to make a huge profit. The construction business is notorious for having poor contractors and fly by night operators and yet these inexperienced ladies who cannot keep track of their budget expect to get off scott free. Duh!!

What I loved about this show is that there is a gas leak in the house, the old plumbing needs to be redone and so does the electrical. Do the words Home Inspection mean anything. Of course a 70 yr old home has stuff wrong with it and it needed to be addressed during demo not after, when it will cost 3 times as must to fix. By the end of the show Melanie still retained her 980,000 asking price which the open house visitors and realtors all thought was too high. She blew her 4 week timeline into 20 wks and of course blew her budget and had yet to sell her home by the end of the show.

This episode is a great warning to first time flippers start small, don't demo any outside walls, check the plumbing and electrical in older homes, have a plan and a budget and stick to it.

The other thing it shows, is don't have a temper tantrum or pouting fits when someone else is trying to tell you what's wrong so you don't mess yourself up later on.

IN JAIL, WONDERING WHERE MY KLONDIKE BAR IS!?...
    She was totally clueless from the get go to even imagine that she could do the things she wanted to do for 50k. I really think that she hired her friend as the contractor because she figured she would get a deal on the price. Im glad that he kept things on the up and up and wouldn't give in on doing the work without the permits.

Just a bit of trivia that means nothing in the context of this show, but I thought I would add ...... Melanie was one of the contestants on Paradise Hotel a couple of summers ago.
    "YOU BREATH THE SAME AIR THE BILLIONAIRES DO" Russell Simmons

"We make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give." Winston Chruchill

Quote Originally Posted by mischief4911
    Just a bit of trivia that means nothing in the context of this show, but I thought I would add ...... Melanie was one of the contestants on Paradise Hotel a couple of summers ago.
    I thought I recognized her from somewhere!

I definitely think she thought she could pop in there with her skin tight tank tops and get whatever the heck she wanted at a discount. How clueless can you be to 1) start ripping the house apart before you even get approved for the loan (or receive the money), 2) set a budget of $50,000 when you haven't gone shopping to determine what an estimated cost will be for what you want to do, or 3) fully research what problems you need to investigate?

I was floored when she bought this top of the line shower system and then couldn't believe it when it cost $1400. And then she wonders where the money went???? Moron.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    I was floored when she bought this top of the line shower system and then couldn't believe it when it cost $1400. And then she wonders where the money went???? Moron.
    Why would she think the holes were not necessary and drill in more. How about going online and getting a brochure from the manufacturer on how to put it together.

Wonder if she ever sold the house? And how about borrowing $100G from her mom's friend? Who does that??

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I am really amazed by the people on this show. Melanie (former reality show bitch, er, participant) blows off professional property developer Kristen's advise, and goes with her mother (who flipped "a" house 30 YEARS AGO). When she doesn't get her way she pouts, and walks out of the room. She it's clear with her demo crew. She tells them to take out what ever has an X painted on it, but neglects to tell that she really doesn't want the bathroom tile busted up, even though she' painted an X on it. She when the professional contractor/friend tells her she needs permits for taking down walls, she pouts and complains that she doesn't understand why she would need them (uh, it's the law, you idiot!!). She fires the professional and hires a flybynighter, who will work without permits. I hope that she can be fined for this, the city has video evidence for their case (please, please, put her ass in jail, please)! Oh yeah, apparently she didn't get a house inspection, so major plumbing problems are there, and she doesn't get why the 60-70 year old plumbing isn't okay. She does all the cosmetic work, and none of the corrective work (which would require busting up her cosmetics, and she could be held responsible for). Why do I get the feeling that she did this flip for the chance to be on TV again? She did everything she could to make as much drama as possible.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

all she had to do was fall out of that top one time and she could have been on playboy tv. She sure didn't mind putting them on display, probably hoping it would make everyone see things her way. Boobs is one thing, but getting money for a lousy job is hard work.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

FORT Newbie
    Hey, I know I am a little behind on posting about this show...but when I was watching Extreme Makeover Home Edition last night (first time in a long while), I thought I recognized the girl on there...Tanya. She is the new designer to the show...but also from Property Ladder, the Tattered Hydrangea. Did anyone else see this?? I thought they said she was a stay at home mom on Property Ladder...you can check out her profile, etc, if you just put her name into google. It also states that the other part owner of the company is her friend, a licensed designer. It doesn't say anything about a cousin. Oh well. I was just wondering if I was the only one who was having conspicupus thoughts about Property Ladder now. Either way I guess its pretty cool that she is a designer on Extreme Makeover Home Edition!

FORT Newbie
    Does anyone know whether the two internet guys from Southern California (Frank and Ralph) have sold their house and if so for how much? Its the only episode I've been on pay tv in Australia and all the signs weren't good. I'd love to know the outcome if anyone is knows. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread