+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: MTV's The 70s House

I loved it. Having graduted in 1971, it sure did bring back memories! Although I did find the hosts somewhat irritating. I never got into the polyester clothing either. I stayed true to "hippie" fashion for as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambi
    I loved it. Having graduted in 1971, it sure did bring back memories! Although I did find the hosts somewhat irritating. I never got into the polyester clothing either. I stayed true to "hippie" fashion for as long as possible.

I never wore the polyester either- I remember my sister - who graduated in '79- always wore blue jeans, had long hair and 60's style shirts. (long wide sleeves, peasant -like I guess). We also didn't use words like "far out" or "groovy".

Accidently caught a repeat earlier to day and it was better than I thought, especially when they made the kids give up their cell phones, cd players, ipods and other electronic gadgets. Some of the clothes were over the top especially the plaid pants. The producers must have gone to dozens of yard sales looking for the worst or 70s clothes. When you watch 70's movies like Saturday Night Fever, remember John Travolta's white suit and the black shirt, and the ladies flowy dresses. I am surprised that they did not get the kids to get haircuts.

That one girl who said this was not the show she signed up for, does any one know what show she did sign up for???

This is better than I Want to be a Hilton.

That one girl who said this was not the show she signed up for, does any one know what show she did sign up for???
    If I'm remembering the girl correctly she thought/assumed it was going to be either Real World or Road Rules. Heck, they might have even picked this group of youngin's from their casting groups for there Might as well have since they'd already done all the interviews and narrowing down of folks, just take from the current pool that they had some interest in.

Mtv tricked my DVR into taping it (by listing a one hour Real World episode). Heh, nice trick.

I thought it was great. I actually thought Dawn did a great job. I would have had a hard time being so hokey/70's and keeping a straight face.

As much as i hate the 70's I liked the show. But I cant stand Dawn, she is just to weird, she seems like she may actually be a 70 person.

I'm glad a thread was started for this show... it was rather funny and eerily nostalgic! I smiled most of the way through the show thinking about relatives who had those rather tacky pieces around the house. It was funny. By the end I thought "must....burn...all....70s..... childhood.....pictures!"
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata
    Accidently caught a repeat earlier to day and it was better than I thought, especially when they made the kids give up their cell phones, cd players, ipods and other electronic gadgets. Some of the clothes were over the top especially the plaid pants. The producers must have gone to dozens of yard sales looking for the worst or 70s clothes. When you watch 70's movies like Saturday Night Fever, remember John Travolta's white suit and the black shirt, and the ladies flowy dresses. I am surprised that they did not get the kids to get haircuts.

This is better than I Want to be a Hilton.
    Oh no, no Bearcata!! Plaid pants were HOT!! My fave pair of pants were bell bottom red and blue plaid pants, I loved wearing them with my red bodysuit and my Earth shoes!!! Believe me, all the clothes were straight out of the 70's fashions, no exaggerations at all!! Why would the kids get haircuts?? Everyone had long hair back then and lots of it.

I can't wait to watch again tonight!

Did anyone see the dance contest? Although, IMO girls are better dancers than guys. Guys always seem to have better teamwork. All the girls were compalaining about how they were leaders but their entire practice session was chaotic. I saw at least 2 of the girls just standing there and pouting. A good leader knows about teamwork, I think the girls mistake being a DIVA with being a LEADA.

Lee had a 'tude problem so was not sorry to see her go.

FORT Fogey
    Bearcata The contestants went to a casting call for a show about living in a house with others. They thought it was going to be like Real World.

I spent from age 25 to 35 in the 70's and those clothes look like an exaggeration to me. I know they were out there but I question so many items together on one person for starters. I wore more hippy/Bohemian garb and did not decorate in that style but I ran into very little of what I see. And no one I knew did the Hustle or made those hand motions when dancing! Dancing looked very much like it does now if you take away some obviously current moves.

Shag carpet was born in the 60's along with some of the mid century modern pieces I see in the house.

I noticed they have not called the boys on doing the high five slap. That is not a 70's thing. There is slang being used that is not accurate, as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast