+ Reply to Thread

Thread: “D-List” Comedian Kathy Griffin Gets Treated Like an A-List Star

“D-List” Comedian Kathy Griffin Gets Treated Like an A-List Star

“D-List” Comedian Kathy Griffin Gets Treated Like an A-List Star

by SnowflakeGirl

FansofRealityTV.com – It seems every celebrity, pseudo-celebrity, and their mothers (sometimes literally—hellooo Ma Hilton, I’m lookin’ at you!) is getting a reality show these days, and now you can add Kathy Griffin to that list. Bravo is giving the scarlet-haired snarkstress and self-proclaimed “D-Lister” Kathy Griffin the A-List treatment with not only an all-new stand-up comedy special, but also a six-episode, one-hour unscripted series of her very own. The one-hour special "Kathy Griffin Is...Not Nicole Kidman" (a follow up to last year's "Kathy Griffin: The D-List") airs on Wednesday, August 3 at 9-10 p.m. ET/PT, and is directly followed by the premiere of her unscripted series "Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List" at 10-11 p.m. ET.

In "Kathy Griffin Is...Not Nicole Kidman," Griffin’s stand-up skewers celebrities such as American Idol contestant Clay Aiken; recounts an actual, on-stage squabble with fellow (perhaps not as self-proclaimed) D-Lister Ryan Seacrest at the Billboard Music Awards; and opines on Oprah Winfrey's cameo with friend Gayle on "Pioneer House." Bravo promises a special that’s “hysterical…unabashed, [and] covers the aspects of Hollywood and celebrity culture everyone knows but few have the guts to say... at least not on camera.”

Then, in the original series "Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List," Griffin documents every moment of her D-list life, the highlights, the lowlights, and the process of bringing her stand-up comedy to life. Billed as a “true insider’s look at entertainment,” viewers will learn that the perks of celebrity life come not as easily to D-listers. While professional hair and make-up is provided for some appearances, unless you’re J. Lo, it’s not available every day. The K. Griff, show insiders announce, will “demonstrate her techniques for showering while keeping her head above the stream and sleeping without moving.” Compelling television, and educational to boot! Another example: Kathy shows us how she gets free furniture when she is misidentified as Kathy Lee Gifford, but after correctly identifying herself as Kathy Griffin, convinces the sales clerk that the free couch was part of a dying aunt's wish.

We’ll also watch as Kathy negotiates a charity attendance trade-off with Ray Romano to ensure star power for her Toys For Tots holiday party; is bested by Caroline Rhea at a celebrity auction; and struggles through awkward talk shows appearances. The series will also brings Griffin's "peeps" into the spotlight: like her assistant, Jessica; her live-in home decorator, Mike; her "main gays" Dennis and Tony; her “overworked” public relations team; her parents; her out-of-town in-laws; and her entire retinue, because really a star is only as good as her posse.

Advanced press bills the series as an “opportunity to see the real Griffin apart from her public persona and without the armor typically donned by comics.” We’ll also get to know her through her husband Matt (whom we’re told is considering gastric bypass surgery), her family, and by witnessing some of the “cringe-worthy” moments of her life. All in all, the series is billed as an intimate but entertaining document of the diurnal duties of one of Hollywood’s most diligent D-listers.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I am marking my calendar. I love Kathy Griffin, I think she's hilarious, especially her sendups of reality TV. Does anyone remember the show she had on MTV making fun of reality shows? It was back when Temptation Island first aired. She'd make a natural member of FORT if only we could lure her here!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I am marking my calendar. I love Kathy Griffin, I think she's hilarious, especially her sendups of reality TV. Does anyone remember the show she had on MTV making fun of reality shows? It was back when Temptation Island first aired. She'd make a natural member of FORT if only we could lure her here!
    Totally agree with everything you said! I love Kathy and love it when she talks about reality TV. I loved her show on MTV, Kathy Griffen's So Called Reality Show. It was basically highlights from reality shows and reality guests. Very good! I will definetly keep an eye out for this one.

You get what you vote for Y2Kevbug11's Avatar
    I absolutely LOVE her bit about Anna Nicole Smith.

Premium Member
    "Snarkstress"... I like that word. I hope we hear more about it before August so I don't forget to watch.

I had heard she had a TV show in the works not long after her stint on either: Celeb Mole or Average Joe. I don't know, it was after she was (somewhat) in some kind of spotlight. Either way, it's been a while, and I'm glad to finally see the official announcement.

I do love Kathy. She was my first avatar here, actually. I've seen her specials on TV, and if you don't have a problem with language, I very much reccomend her stand-up DVD, "Allegedly".

+ Reply to Thread