+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1656575859606162636465666768697071 LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: Deadliest Catch

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Re: Deadliest Catch

Just watching the episode where they put the Time Bandit back in the water after she was refurbished. One of my favorite vacation memories EVER was seeing the TB in drydock, and getting our picture taken in front of her. I have seasonal affective disorder, and I don't do well if the sun's not shining. When we got to Kodiak, I hadn't seen the sun in about a week. But I was DEFINITELY smiling in that picture!!!
    Florimel likes this.

I watched a few videos on the Discovery Channel yesterday. One showed Sig talking about wanting his daughters to experience working on the boat, but also to go to college. I'm curious to see how Many does this season.

A second video showed Jake Anderson in Seattle asking Sig and Edgar for his job back. Sig said something to the effect that they'll put Jake back on the boat for red crab, but after that he's on his own. My gut feeling is that they will keep Jake past that, but it's just a guess with no basis in fact. It will be interesting to watch. Jake is listed as deckhand/engineer for this season with Edgar as relief captain/deck boss.

I'm also eager to see what happens with the Time Bandit. They put so much money into the boat last year, but had so many issues. I hope they can bounce back.

The less I have to see of Elliott, the happier I am. I think he's a danger to himself and his crew.
    mom2 and usschmidt like this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Great premiere show of DC last night. Great to see Jake back with the Northwestern. I was hoping to see the Cornelia Marie, but it sounds like we may have to wait to see it during opilio season.
    Florimel likes this.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

I enjoyed seeing the new season start, too. Looks like another greenhorn who can't handle the work - and this guy was an experienced fisherman and an ex-marine!

Should we start a pool for which episode Elliott starts spending all his time on the phone again? I say NEXT episode.
    Florimel likes this.

Yes, Jonathan broadly hinted during "The Bait" show that we'll see Josh and the Cornelia Marie in Opie season, which is when I kind of think we'll see Sig's daughter. Sig has aged quite a bit in these ten years.

I don't think Junior is going to make it through the season, at least for red crab. From previews, it looks as if this is going to be a very dramatic and dangerous season. I do not believe that all is forgiven between Junior and Keith.

It surprised me to see that Mike Fortner is now a broadcaster with the show. I think he'll do well. Same with Wild Bill though he's had so much bad luck fishing that he probably needs the extra work.
    angelic_one2002 likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Watching now!

And YES, I am glad they are BACKKKKK!

AZChristian likes this.
    KAREN

I always thought Jake Anderson aged A LOT on this show too. I only can catch this intermittently but every time I see it the guy looks way older than his age. Looks like some rough years on him.

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos View Post
    I always thought Jake Anderson aged A LOT on this show too. I only can catch this intermittently but every time I see it the guy looks way older than his age. Looks like some rough years on him.
    I agree; Jake has aged. He was 23 his first season and he's now 33 or maybe 34. The life of a crab fisherman on the Bering Sea is enough to age anyone, but I think Jake has always been very emotional, and I think the death of his sister and then the murder of his father have taken their toll. I also wonder how his marriage is doing; we haven't heard anything since we watched the wedding.

I really enjoyed this week's episode on the history of the Hansen clan and the Northwestern. It's always been my favorite boat. Learning more about their father, Sverre, and hearing what their mother had to say was fascinating to me. Also liked seeing more of Norman, who usually stays in the background. I think Sig is the one most similar to his father. Edgar has grown up a lot and is very good at his job, but I still think there's some of the rebellious baby brother in him.

I loved seeing Sig's daughter and Edgar's son on the salmon boat, which I guess is where we'll see them this season, not on the Bering Sea. Mandy seems to be as determined and dedicated as her father to fishing on the Northwestern though I don't think it's the life Sig wants for her. I hope we seem more of them, but it might have been a one-time shot this year.

What was so heinous about Jake trying his wings and using his captain's license on another boat? No backstabbing there, just trying to better his station for his family. The Hanson's have to know he would want to use his hard earned captain's license and with Sig and Edgar their boat was not available.
    causingchaos likes this.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

I could be totally wrong about this, but I think a lot of the Jake/Edgar/Sig situation was enhanced to stir up additional interest in the boat, especially after all the Saga and Seabrooke junk that's been a big focus the past couple of years.

I think there probably was some tension and sense of betrayal on both sides; Jake because he felt under appreciated for all he's done, Sig and Edgar because they felt that Jake should have told them he was considering another job offer. However, Jake didn't hesitate to ask for his Northwestern job back, nor did Sig and Edgar hesitate to take him back. I think they'll make him east a lot of crow this season, but they are really glad to have him. To my mind, Sig is the smartest showman among the captains and knows how to use this to his boat's advantage.

I can foresee several different scenarios with this bunch, including the Hansens buying a second boat, which is something Sig mentioned last year. I'm eager to see it all play out.
    angelic_one2002 and mom2 like this.

+ Reply to Thread