+ Reply to Thread
Page 59 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9495051525354555657585960616263646566 LastLast
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Deadliest Catch

Re: Deadliest Catch

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    I haven't liked Jake Harris since the beginning where we saw him charging a tv for his room on the boat (and other things) to Phil's credit card without permission. He always seemed like a spoiled brat to me. To be fair, however, I have to remember Phil stating more than once that in his younger days, he did every drug known to man. The big difference is that Phil never let it interfere with his responsibilities either as a crew member or a captain.
    Technically we don't know if it ever interfered with his crew member responsibilities or his responsibilities as a captain. We see what the TV shows us. And from what I've seen on this show they certainly clean up this industry substantially in an effort to ignore some of the ugly truths of the industry and culture around the industry. I've known a few people who went up there and I don't know how this show does it but they seem to find a way to edit out all the reality I've heard about and read about.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by candor View Post
    He had a lot of sores on his face and he's slow. Does heroin cause sores?
    Yes, he looks and acts VERY MUCH like he is using heroin, or very heavy opiates at the least. My bet is heroin. I know that life, I've lived that life and I know what it looks like. (hopefully not TMI)

Never too old to Twinkle! AZChristian's Avatar

I got to spend some time today in Homer - home port of the Time Bandit. I just missed getting to meet Johnathan Hillstrand at their store, but got to spend quite a bit of time chatting with a couple of people who know the Hillstrands and some of the others involved in The Deadliest Catch.
    • The Hillstrands are considered to be among the "good guys" in the world of fishing boats . . . so is Sig Hansen.
    • Sig tried everything he could to help Jake Harris, but Jake is not taking advantage of the opportunities he has to have good support.
    • Keith Colburn is "nasty" (a direct quote from a young woman who knows him).
    • NO ONE involved in Deadliest Catch has even a modicum of professional (or personal) respect for Elliott Neese of the Ramblin' Rose, and they doubt he'll have another gig as a captain anytime soon. There were threats of some legal action because of his leaving his crew out in danger in weather that was past inclement to dangerous.
    • During the first season or two, only the boat owners got any money for allowing the filming. The captains/owners of the Time Bandit and the Northwestern went to bat for the crew members, and now they each get $50,000 for each season of filming (greenhorns may get less, but they get something).

I am now the proud owner of a really cool Time Bandit shirt and hat, along with a bumper sticker that reads, "Don't make me go all captain on you."

The TB is in Kodiak in drydock for repair and refurbishment. We'll be there in a couple of days and I will try my darndest to find her!

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

We just saw Revelations tonight and I was so impressed with Jake Anderson and how far he's come. (Actually I got a little teary when he pulled out his license to show it off a week or 2 ago.) He just goes to show how, when you put your mind to it, you can overcome anything and make something great of yourself. This show was just so raw; I really loved hearing some of the things the guys disclosed and I was happy to see that Josh H. seems to have matured quite a bit and I think he's going to do well. I just wish he wouldn't put so much pressure on himself b/c of Jake. Jake is only going to get better when he wants to and Josh can't force that.

AZ, I'm surprised about what you heard re: Keith. I always kind of liked him, though Sig has always been my favorite (along with Phil), and the Hillstrands are right up there too. I found myself actually liking Junior this season but I'd be really happy if this was Elliott's goodbye show. From his first appearance last year, it's been clear he needed to get his act together. Hopefully, in his off time, he'll figure it all out but I'd hate to have him in charge of a boat I was on (or owned)...
    AZChristian likes this.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Keith can't control his emotions or his temper, which probably makes people lose respect for him. He also seems like one of those bosses who picks a target and rides that worker mercilessly until he's onto the next one. I've had (hated) bosses like that.

Also, I posted this years ago, but I'm relinking because that photo of Sig, Edgar and that other brother is so cute. The article has bigger pictures.

hansens.jpg

The Seattle Times: Arts & Entertainment: Seattle fishermen find riches and fame on "Deadliest Catch"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post
    I got to spend some time today in Homer - home port of the Time Bandit. I just missed getting to meet Johnathan Hillstrand at their store, but got to spend quite a bit of time chatting with a couple of people who know the Hillstrands and some of the others involved in The Deadliest Catch.
    • The Hillstrands are considered to be among the "good guys" in the world of fishing boats . . . so is Sig Hansen.
    • Sig tried everything he could to help Jake Harris, but Jake is not taking advantage of the opportunities he has to have good support.
    • NO ONE involved in Deadliest Catch has even a modicum of professional (or personal) respect for Elliott Neese of the Ramblin' Rose, and they doubt he'll have another gig as a captain anytime soon. There were threats of some legal action because of his leaving his crew out in danger in weather that was past inclement to dangerous.
    • During the first season or two, only the boat owners got any money for allowing the filming. The captains/owners of the Time Bandit and the Northwestern went to bat for the crew members, and now they each get $50,000 for each season of filming (greenhorns may get less, but they get something).

I am now the proud owner of a really cool Time Bandit shirt and hat, along with a bumper sticker that reads, "Don't make me go all captain on you."

The TB is in Kodiak in drydock for repair and refurbishment. We'll be there in a couple of days and I will try my darndest to find her!
    Looks like, Johnathan Hillstrand is a great guy. According to many news links Johnathan is trying to help a boy diagnosed with cancer but some crazed woman did the unimaginable. Wow!
    KGTV - Young cancer patient victimized in hoax - News Story

From article "An online video featuring Captain Johnathan Hillstrand of the reality TV show "The Deadliest Catch." In that video, the reality star asks people to help pay for Thomas' cancer treatments.
    Last edited by Oompaloopa; 09-26-2012 at 10:18 PM.
    "Never Give Up" ~~~Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by AZChristian View Post

As someone who has watched Deadliest Catch from its first episode to its last more than once, I felt exactly the same way about each of your bullet points. Add to that, it was Sig and Jonathan who stepped up to try and help the Harris boys.
    AZChristian likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

drewpost

Agree.
    Both Jakes (Harris and Anderson) are now persons of inbterest in Jake Anderson's Dad's going missing and homicide.
    Not an evil rumor but a real official investigation report by an investigation by CrimeWiseUSA.
    The report has been posted online at their website. Just add a dot com (.com).
    I am amazed at how many fans don't see this behavior as anything but harmless fun by a misguided boy.

drewpost

He and Jake Anderson have them.
    They are meth sores.
    They are the deadly signature of that addiction.
    Next the teeth go.

I just can't believe that any of them would be involved with Jake Anderson's dad's death. Unless I'm presented with actual proof, I won't believe it. And owning weapons isn't any kind of proof, either. Why would they do it? I don't think Sig would tolerate anyone of that character on his boat (Jake Anderson).
    Florimel likes this.
    "Quotes on the internet may not be accurate." - Abraham Lincoln

+ Reply to Thread