I got to spend some time today in Homer - home port of the Time Bandit. I just missed getting to meet Johnathan Hillstrand at their store, but got to spend quite a bit of time chatting with a couple of people who know the Hillstrands and some of the others involved in The Deadliest Catch.
- The Hillstrands are considered to be among the "good guys" in the world of fishing boats . . . so is Sig Hansen.
- Sig tried everything he could to help Jake Harris, but Jake is not taking advantage of the opportunities he has to have good support.
- Keith Colburn is "nasty" (a direct quote from a young woman who knows him).
- NO ONE involved in Deadliest Catch has even a modicum of professional (or personal) respect for Elliott Neese of the Ramblin' Rose, and they doubt he'll have another gig as a captain anytime soon. There were threats of some legal action because of his leaving his crew out in danger in weather that was past inclement to dangerous.
- During the first season or two, only the boat owners got any money for allowing the filming. The captains/owners of the Time Bandit and the Northwestern went to bat for the crew members, and now they each get $50,000 for each season of filming (greenhorns may get less, but they get something).
I am now the proud owner of a really cool Time Bandit shirt and hat, along with a bumper sticker that reads, "Don't make me go all captain on you."
The TB is in Kodiak in drydock for repair and refurbishment. We'll be there in a couple of days and I will try my darndest to find her!
We just saw Revelations tonight and I was so impressed with Jake Anderson and how far he's come. (Actually I got a little teary when he pulled out his license to show it off a week or 2 ago.) He just goes to show how, when you put your mind to it, you can overcome anything and make something great of yourself. This show was just so raw; I really loved hearing some of the things the guys disclosed and I was happy to see that Josh H. seems to have matured quite a bit and I think he's going to do well. I just wish he wouldn't put so much pressure on himself b/c of Jake. Jake is only going to get better when he wants to and Josh can't force that. :(
AZ, I'm surprised about what you heard re: Keith. I always kind of liked him, though Sig has always been my favorite (along with Phil), and the Hillstrands are right up there too. I found myself actually liking Junior this season but I'd be really happy if this was Elliott's goodbye show. From his first appearance last year, it's been clear he needed to get his act together. Hopefully, in his off time, he'll figure it all out but I'd hate to have him in charge of a boat I was on (or owned)...
Keith can't control his emotions or his temper, which probably makes people lose respect for him. He also seems like one of those bosses who picks a target and rides that worker mercilessly until he's onto the next one. I've had (hated) bosses like that.
Also, I posted this years ago, but I'm relinking because that photo of Sig, Edgar and that other brother is so cute. The article has bigger pictures.
The Seattle Times: Arts & Entertainment: Seattle fishermen find riches and fame on "Deadliest Catch"
KGTV - Young cancer patient victimized in hoax - News Story
From article "An online video featuring Captain Johnathan Hillstrand of the reality TV show "The Deadliest Catch." In that video, the reality star asks people to help pay for Thomas' cancer treatments.
Both Jakes (Harris and Anderson) are now persons of inbterest in Jake Anderson's Dad's going missing and homicide.
Not an evil rumor but a real official investigation report by an investigation by CrimeWiseUSA.
The report has been posted online at their website. Just add a dot com (.com).
I am amazed at how many fans don't see this behavior as anything but harmless fun by a misguided boy.
He and Jake Anderson have them.
They are meth sores.
They are the deadly signature of that addiction.
Next the teeth go.
I just can't believe that any of them would be involved with Jake Anderson's dad's death. Unless I'm presented with actual proof, I won't believe it. And owning weapons isn't any kind of proof, either. Why would they do it? I don't think Sig would tolerate anyone of that character on his boat (Jake Anderson).