+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 71 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: Deadliest Catch

FORT Fogey

Re: Deadliest Catch

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3994751;
    I'm so surprised by my reaction to losing Capt. Phil. I mean, I'm a huge fan of the show, and Phil has always been my fave - but I'm not sure why I'm so affected by his passing.
    While humans tend to be inspired by natural wonders such as the grand canyon, space, the ocean, etc., I believe that there are special people walking the earth who have been gifted with characters that are more awe-inspiring than any physical thing could be. A poor person who manages to smile every day despite not being able to afford food, a senior citizen shining with grace, manners, and dignity, and so on.

Phil is one of these people. IMO, Phil's gift was unparalleled exuberance for life. And this makes his death especially tragic.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Well, it was heartbreaking to watch "the end of Phil's story" tonight. I cried my eyes out. I think that alot of how much it touches me has to do with the relationship with his boys. It was all so real, and that is hard to find on reality tv sometimes.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3994979;
    While humans tend to be inspired by natural wonders such as the grand canyon, space, the ocean, etc., I believe that there are special people walking the earth who have been gifted with characters that are more awe-inspiring than any physical thing could be. A poor person who manages to smile every day despite not being able to afford food, a senior citizen shining with grace, manners, and dignity, and so on.

Phil is one of these people. IMO, Phil's gift was unparalleled exuberance for life. And this makes his death especially tragic.
    Thanks, Jexter. That certainly is a thoughtful post. I agree that Phil was one of those people. And always entertaining. I realized, too, that he is very close to my age and also very close to the age my father passed away.

I wasn't surprised by his insistence that the production crew follow his story right to the end.

Loved getting the peek inside his life off the boat. Two trailers, a maid (loved it!), a Yorkie and the awesome birdhouse - he seemed so happy with his lifestyle both on and off the boat.

I'm concerned about Jake - I'm not sure he has realized the impact of losing his father. I suspect his grief will catch up with him and hope he is able to handle it. Josh, however, was impressive the way he stepped up and took so much on - while allowing his father to pass with dignity.

Well done Harris family and Discovery. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by angelwings;3994723;
    The Philisms were hilarious... I was trying to think of one after reading your post but one just didn't come to me and then I saw the clip... he was the best.
    My favorite phrase of his, which I use often with my husband (!) is, "You're so full of s&*t your eyes are brown."

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

My favorite interaction with him and Jake was when he got on the phone and was yelling at Jake, telling him to get out and help. And, Phil was really sticking it to him, cussing and freaking out, and Jake says "Okay, word." My husband and I have teen boys and we laughed sooo hard! We realized how much strength it took for Phil not to come down and smack the 'word" out of him! So funny!

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3996796;
    My favorite interaction with him and Jake was when he got on the phone and was yelling at Jake, telling him to get out and help. And, Phil was really sticking it to him, cussing and freaking out, and Jake says "Okay, word." My husband and I have teen boys and we laughed sooo hard! We realized how much strength it took for Phil not to come down and smack the 'word" out of him! So funny!

I was LMAO at that too and Phil didn't skip a beat.

I always laughed at his, "one-legged man in an a**-kicking contest."
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3996796;
    My favorite interaction with him and Jake was when he got on the phone and was yelling at Jake, telling him to get out and help. And, Phil was really sticking it to him, cussing and freaking out, and Jake says "Okay, word."
    My husband and I laughed at this too.

It was neat seeing the boys mother and I think it's obvious that she still cared a lot for Phil and not just in a 'he's my boys father' way. Now I know where Josh gets the jet black hair. Man, do those boys look a lot like Phil when he was younger. Ugh I feel so terrible for Phil's father...that poor man hopefully Josh and Jake are close with him and keep him company.

So I did pretty well this past episode until they showed the funeral and Josh walking away and then Jake from the Northwestern. I know Phil wasn't his father but he's had a rough road with losing his sister and now his father missing (has there been any news on him?). I can totally understand why Phil's death would be particularly hard for him.

It was nice seeing the three vessels pay tribute to Phil in their own way. My husband was saying that the Time Bandit must be the most dangerous vessel with all the fireworks they have on board. I bet it's also one of the funniest vessel.
    Last edited by Hobbes07; 07-24-2010 at 12:52 PM.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

Jake Anderson's Father

Information regarding Jake Anderson's father can be found at this link
    Missing Man: Keith Arthur Anderson--WA--01/06/2010
    The most recent update is less than 2 weeks ago so that's pretty recent. He is still missing but there is some background information in the most recent post that I did not know.

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

FINALE is tonight, right?
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread