+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 71 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Like Tree182Likes

Thread: Deadliest Catch

FORT Fogey

Re: Deadliest Catch

Quote Originally Posted by candor;3957085;
    They announce the deckhands' share at the end of each season. It's usually between $25,000 and $50,000. That would be pretty good if they work both king and opelio. Still, when I spent a summer in Kodiak 30 years ago, the guys coming off the salmon boats were making as much as $50,000 (lots of free drinks for us!), so pay doesn't seem to have improved much.
    Well, $50k isn't bad at all and since they are on the boat much of the time, room and board are taken care of at least some of the time???

They must really like it, though. Man. That is a tough gig.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

We just finished last night's epi IDK if I'm going to be able to make it through the next 2 episodes. Watching the big, tough Captains break down was hard, nevermind the scenes with Josh--I'm so glad he made the decision to be with his father.

psycobabe007, IA--I think it's harder for me b/c I know what's to come.

Jexter, thanks for the article link. It's nice to know that the cameras being there were something they wanted (I'd wondered) and that, while it's hard for him to watch the episodes, Josh is finding at least a little comfort in seeing those last moments he had with his father.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3957680;
    Well, $50k isn't bad at all and since they are on the boat much of the time, room and board are taken care of at least some of the time???

They must really like it, though. Man. That is a tough gig.
    My dad has worked out of Dutch Harbor before with a project he headed about 8-9 years ago (pre Deadliest Catch days). He knows the area well and met some fishermen in that area. They are hardcore guys but really cool. The Bering sea really is one of the toughest bodies of water to work on according to my dad (since he experienced it first hand) and the guys deserve a lot more than what they get paid for for how much they risk their lives simply for food for us.

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;3958917;
    My dad has worked out of Dutch Harbor before with a project he headed about 8-9 years ago (pre Deadliest Catch days). He knows the area well and met some fishermen in that area. They are hardcore guys but really cool. The Bering sea really is one of the toughest bodies of water to work on according to my dad (since he experienced it first hand) and the guys deserve a lot more than what they get paid for for how much they risk their lives simply for food for us.

I agree - I couldn't even stand up on those boats never mind work 24+ hours straight! They deserve more than they get that is for sure!

omg..this is getting harder and harder to watch
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;3967412;
    omg..this is getting harder and harder to watch
    harder than I thought it would be... hurts your heart knowing what the outcome will be.

So, so hard. Have to say Phil had me chuckling with his gesturing for the ice chips. I'm so glad the boys and Phil's friends got to say goodbye but I hated seeing the boys fighting with each other. I'm glad Jonathan was there to help them out. I'm dreading next week and will make sure I have the tissues handy.

ETA: After the Catch is killing me. I've always liked Freddy and thought his advice to Josh last week was key. If this is so hard to watch, I don't know what I'm going to do next week.
    Last edited by cantstopwatchin; 07-06-2010 at 10:27 PM.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I lost my dad to esophageal cancer, had to "pull the plug" Thanksgiving night 08, watching this arc hurts my heart, bringing back almost 2 years of buried grief and pain. It is never easy to have to see your father die, but especially not when the child is in their 20s/30s. Its something that should happen after grand children and great grandchildren come in the picture, not before a father can walk his daughter down the aisle.

Jonathan has always been my favorite - I'm so glad he has been with Josh and Jake. Next week is going to be heartbreaking.......

They're really advertising the goodbye to Phil. Just saw a commercial for it right before the World Cup Final started.

+ Reply to Thread