+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Morality in Reality Television

TV Fanatic Snake Champion baskiddball's Avatar

Morality in Reality Television

I was doing my 30 percent project for English. When I chose a topic, I took the only reality television topic that was available, Morality in Reality Television. I was wondering if anybody can help me brainstorm. Hope this is a reasonable place to ask, didn't know if it would be better in the help forum.

I was thinking of some examples where someone chose to ignore moral choices in order to help them further advance in the game. I know that basically everyone does something which isnt right, but I mean some extreme examples. Here is some I've come up with so far...

What Allison did to Nathan in Big Brother
    Johnny Fairplay and the grandma in Big Brother
    The whole Corey Clark scandal (even though its after)
    Jon and Victoria in TAR and the extreme abuse

Can anyone else help brainstorm other topics, or if you have some ideas for what I can do in my essay and presentation which would make it great. I'm in grade 10 and just trying to maintain my high English mark and I thought of the people of FORT when I got the topic.

Let me just start off by saying what a neat essay topic, you made a good choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by baskiddball
    I was thinking of some examples where someone chose to ignore moral choices in order to help them further advance in the game.
    What about combining the good and bad. Stating that even though many reality stars make bad choices, there are some that make good ones such as Ian during the final 3. I know that it might weaken your argument but you could always change your thesis to the one I mentioned above. If you talked about good moral choices you could also talk about Lil' bringing Sandra instead of Fairplay to the final 3.

Good Luck with your essay!

TV Fanatic Snake Champion baskiddball's Avatar
    Thanks a lot AI!!! Its very good to make a comparitive essay, rather than an opinionated one. I want to do something special for the presentation, other than showing some of the footage of examples from the show. LOL, I feel so alone in my class, because like nobody I know watch reality television, or at least as religeously as me. Thanks alot for the suggestions, love the Ian idea. Very updated, regardless of how much of an idiot he was.

baskiddball...... I agree with AI. Maybe try to write a piece about "the struggle to maintain morality in reality tv or... is it possible to maintain your integrity and still succeed at challenges that are designed to reward those who outwit, outplay, and outlast?"

You could still make it a comparitive essay by demonstrating the achievements of those that stood by their morals vs those that compromised. You'll then be able to discuss players like Gretchen (stood true to herself and thought it would get her far), Ian (he'd be a *exception* of sorts in your piece as he began the game by compromising his morals... but then found them later in the game), and then the worst extreme: johnny fairplay.

Fun essay piece; good luck... and post it here when you're done!

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Fun essay piece; good luck... and post it here when you're done!
    What an interesting topic, baskiddball. Lots of work for you but I know you can do it! I'd like to read that paper, too!
    I love you, you love me, we're a happy family...

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Good luck on your project.
    I remember the first season of Survivor creating a lot of discussion on alliances and honesty. There is also some interesting discussion in the America's Next Top Models forum about a model named Keenyah who was confident, but also physically pushed and shoved a fellow contestant and came off to some viewers as selfish and mean. Others saw her as a good competitor.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Excellent topic! I'd like to read it too, if you feel comfortable posting your work for all of us to grade.

Oh, and don't leave out Omarosa and her morality.

I'd throw in something about "The Bachelor" too. On that show, the witch often goes home.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    If you saw it, I think Project Runway had some great material for the topic--Wendy and her schemeing ways, Kara Saun trying to get away with the free shoe thing, etc.

There were debates here on the FoRT about when Bradford gave up his immunity in TA2, that possibly could be food for thought (hanging as a team/rejecting a prize/etc) or when Brian (TA3) willingly took the fall for his failure and asked to be fired (was that admirable or just stupid?).

This does sound like a really cool project, though. Good luck!

What about Rob promising to have Lex's back if he protected Amber in All-Star Survivor, but stabbing him in the back at the next TC?

He married Amber, proving "all's fair in love and war."
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast