+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Morality in Reality Television

If you want to really go risky, you could ask the question: Is a participant who applies to a show in which the motto involves outwitting other players, but then when selected chooses not to play the game as such being ethical? i.e. it is a game, not life, if someone treats it as life, are they cheating the other players of the game, and the audience itself?
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

I was going to say Ian again... the way he gave up in the final 3, just to keep his friendship with Tom. Not every moment in Reality TV is bad.

That's a cool topic to write about.... good luck!
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    If you want to really go risky, you could ask the question: Is a participant who applies to a show in which the motto involves outwitting other players, but then when selected chooses not to play the game as such being ethical? i.e. it is a game, not life, if someone treats it as life, are they cheating the other players of the game, and the audience itself?
    Wow Bill. Very philisophical. That would take all semester to get to the bottom of.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill

I don't see how you can differentiate the game from life. How can one not treat the game as life? Isn't that their life at that particular time?

Maybe I don't understand what you are saying (i.e., you may have to dumb it down for me ) - maybe give me an example?

Jumping into the thread here...

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    I don't see how you can differentiate the game from life. How can one not treat the game as life? Isn't that their life at that particular time?

Maybe I don't understand what you are saying (i.e., you may have to dumb it down for me ) - maybe give me an example?
    Think of the movie "Heathers" for a moment. Veronica is playing croquet with her old friend Betty Finn. Veronica hits Betty's ball...which means that Veronica can either take two hits or choose to send Betty's ball flying away. Veronica, having had experience in real life with catty, immoral friends, is trying to confirm her status as a good person by selecting to take two hits. Betty is dumbfounded--because croquet is a game...and to win the game, you have to send the other person away...

You can play croquet as you live your life--or you can choose to play croquet as a game without having your life defined by how you play a game.

I mean, are you not a nice person because you jump your friends pieces in checkers? That's not a nice thing to do--and your friend will lose the game because of it...but if you didn't do that, checkers wouldn't be a game...

(On the record, my favorite reality show is TAR because you can play the game against THE GAME...without feeling like you have to play it against the other competitors... That said, Romber proved this year that you certainly can play TAR against the other competitors...and that was their choice in playing the game. We get to watch and decide how we feel about all of that...and that's what makes reality tv interesting for those watching...we get to imagine what we would do in similar circumstances.)

pg--seattle

PS--To the thread starter, I'd suggest you look at shows like Real World and Temptation Island and ask yourself if these shows reflect reality (that young people are not bound by societal expectations of commitment) or if the hope of gaining more television exposure is driving participants to ever increasing levels of exhibitionism...

(Not that I'm some sort of prude...but I'll always be amazed at the willingness of the participants to share with the camera--and thus, watched by America--things that they purport to be secret...like on this year's TAR where one of the team of Lynn & Alex had not come out to his parents yet...but there they were, week in and week out as a very "out" gay couple... I'm guessing that he's not in the closet when it comes to his parents anymore...)

I would think that somewhere in the paper you would have to mention Richard Hatch, the 1st survivor winner. Parading around nude, but providing everyone with food and still winning. How he dumped Rudy to the wayside in the final challenge, and then following the show, his tax evasion worries.
    kitty-cats rule!

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    What about the when the shows and their producers have no morality? "Who wants to Marry a Millionaire?", "Average Joe" and "My Big Fat Obnoxious FiancÚ" are a few that come to mind. Scare Tactics and a few of the other prank shows have also known to be kind of morally lacking.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

the first thing you will have to do is define morality and how it pertains to reality TV which is, for the most part, a game. People bring up a bunch of interesting experiences, but it is all in the interpretation and the editing. Was it moral for Keenyah to push the other models to win the challenge? (and she ultimately lost to the two she pushed anyway), is Richard Hatch's nudity in any way a moral issue? Was he doing it to intimidate the others or because that's who he was? It's an interesting topic for sure, and I wish you the best of luck! I think these shows have to happen in a vacuum, sort of one of those 'if you woke up with no conscience and no consequences, what would you do" type thing, and that is the situation these people are put in - they are in a game for exposure and do what they have to.

Put me in the 'I'd love to read the final essay' category! It could easily develop into a thesis

Don't forget the twins, the pinky swear and them bring the bible into the mix.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12