+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can Deaf "RealityWhores" join in the fun?

Can Deaf "RealityWhores" join in the fun?

Hey everyone!

I'm Deaf myself and I joined this forum when Christy was in Survivors years, years, years ago (in "reality tv-time" that's few years ago).

Anyway, after Christy (in case you not aware, she's Deaf), I haven't seen anyone on reality shows who's Deaf (aside from that sweet, deserving Deaf family on EM:HE and understandably shy Deaf mom of one bachelor on "Bachelorette"), I want to know if there's any shows where Deaf participants can join without any discriminations/disadvantages? Cuz my friend and I want to join in the fun!

I'm not like Christy who bravely survived in this ghastly environment, I'm too prissy for that! My friend and I want to try for Amazing Race...

Any leads/helps/tips/advices/anything... comments, insults, etc... all will be appreciated!

Thanks!

and thank you Fluff for helping me out
    Huh? Oh, you talkin' to me? Sorry, I didn't hear you.

I would love to see a deaf candidate on the Apprentice, mostly to show Trump up for his "must be healthy" requirement that resulted in a lawsuit. Got any business experience, DC?
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I would think that TAR might be a great show for deaf people to compete in.
    Survivor was difficult for Christy partly because of the extreme conditions, e.g. the dark at night making it imposible for her to lip read.

I think shows where you're more in control of your own destiny are better options.
    In Survivor, Big Brother and shows of that type you are always susceptible to the whims of others and whatever strange alliances and strategies they come up with.
    On a show like TAR the contestants are more in control of how well they do.

Like Hep, I'd love to see a deaf contestant on The Apprentice.

me on Appretience?

no way... I would if i has business experiences but no... i know there's some Deaf businessperson out there would be perfect for this show... i don't know if that person would want to be on this type of show where they have to "claw their ways up the corporate ladder or TrumpLadder." I do have a pretty friend who would be just perfect for ANTM but she's too short...

I totally agree with you about TAR... in control of what we're doing... there's not much of ASL translation needed in that show, except getting to the final destination of each leg. (The host would just show us what place we're in by holding up whatever numbers of fingers we're placed in) So, not much talking will be shown but sure, I can scream and talk loud if needed...

Maybe Real World on MTV if your in the age range?

Or what about Fear Factor?

BTW... I love your signature on your posts

Real World's over for me...

I did went thru the Real World Open call in Chicago few years ago... it didn't went well... I'm 26 now... too old...

Fear Factor??? Hmm... Since I lost my hearing, my other senses increased tenfolds... so my tastebuds probably picking up much more "flavors."
    I dunno if I would want to "scaf" (sp?) them (yes, creepy crawlers) down my throat plus I can't swim so I probably would be way gone at the beginning of the show...

Hey,

Take me along with you....I'm a terp... we'd be a good team....

There's a concept...a deaf person and an interpreter....

I actually teach an interpreter training program at the local community college...but we could kick some major TAR butt!!!

Really, In all seriousness, I agree with what you are saying....you should, as well as other deaf folks have the SAME opportunities as others to compete. Wasn't there a lawsuit by a deaf person for "Who wants to be a Millionaire" because the "try out" for the show was a "fastest finger" type game via phone.....well that's a little tough to do via Telephone Relay...I'm not certain of the outcome of that...but IF I remember correctly I think Millionaire settled with the Deaf applicant.

Keep trying out...maybe you will be the one to break down the barriers.

Good luck...you go...I have much respect for you!!

\lm/
    ~!Becky!~

Quote Originally Posted by bgsigns
    Hey,

Take me along with you....I'm a terp... we'd be a good team....

There's a concept...a deaf person and an interpreter....

I actually teach an interpreter training program at the local community college...but we could kick some major TAR butt!!!

Really, In all seriousness, I agree with what you are saying....you should, as well as other deaf folks have the SAME opportunities as others to compete. Wasn't there a lawsuit by a deaf person for "Who wants to be a Millionaire" because the "try out" for the show was a "fastest finger" type game via phone.....well that's a little tough to do via Telephone Relay...I'm not certain of the outcome of that...but IF I remember correctly I think Millionaire settled with the Deaf applicant.

Keep trying out...maybe you will be the one to break down the barriers.

Good luck...you go...I have much respect for you!!

\lm/
    ~!Becky!~
    You know what Becky? I totally agree with you about a concept of an interpreter/friend with a deaf person... that'll be an awesome team for TAR! Now I'm trying to figure which show or two to try out for... hopefully there's Deaf people out there that'll break down even more barriers so all reality shows can be incorporated with every types of people (in much more tasteful manners... as if it gonna happens in realityworld... they're full of crap-o-ramas to be "tasteful" )

+ Reply to Thread