+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Airline (A&E)

Quote Originally Posted by lasvegasfan
    People show up at the airport hours early and sit around and drink.

But I don't get rip-roaring, angry, loud and belittling though. Airports and beer go hand in hand for me. Kinda like peanut butter goes with jelly.

In Phoenix, I was bellied up to the bar with an 86 year old woman. There wasn't a single time that she'd tell me a story or joke and we weren't laughing! She was coherent, entertaining and very friendly. This woman was hysterical.. not to mention, bombed. I didn't really realize she was until she TOLD ME! She even got an extra bourbon, poured it into a flask in her purse...asked for a cup of ice and chewed on a few and went to go find her terminal. She was two sheets to the wind, and packing even MORE booze for the plane ride!
    Is she a threat to National Security? She wasn't falling down, loud or even bothering anyone.. so what if this 86 y.o. woman has a penchant for bourbon?
    IMO, she'll just sit in her seat....sleep... maybe converse if someone wanted to and sip away on her flask. To ME, eh.. no biggy.
    But, if rules are rules.. she'd be turned away. I'm not so sure that I'd agree with that.

I understand the need to want to curb the drunkards from boarding.. especially when they're belligerent. Maybe a breathalyzer wouldn't be good.. keep it more of a case by case situation.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

I dunno I've had my share of drinks before flights also and I'm not a threat either and it calms nerves in most cases.
    I just think if it becomes a liability for the airlines they'd shut it off.
    99 pct of the drunk folks I have seen on Airlne I wouldn't want sitting next to me on a cross-country flight.
    BTW in my travels I have never seen anyone denied boarding because they had too much to drink.

Quote Originally Posted by realornot
    I absolutely believe Southwest (and other airlines, I imagine) need to have alcohol breathalizers or something at their disposal because there are some passengers that have seemed just fine to me and have been denied boarding. Yet, last season they had a whole drunk crew going to a Packers game, I believe, and they let every one of them on board. But others, who maybe mentioned they had a drink in the bar, are left off the plane. For instance, that cusser from the last episode... although he was a complete butt for threatening to beat that guy up, he didn't appear to be drunk, just an angry little man.

Any thoughts?
    I figured the let the football fans on because it would have been to much of a revenue hit to deny 60 people boarding.

ZM

Excessive alcohol consumption makes a lot of people belligerant and abusive. But not everyone of course. (I myself become one of the weepy, feeling-sorry-for-myself variety. ) They certainly don't want someone on the flight who might cause physical harm to their fellow passengers, or even verbal abuse. But I think they also don't want anyone who is impaired on the flight for other reasons, such as their inability to follow instructions in case of an emergency situation, such as an evacuation. They need folks to be in control of their faculties.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

That woman on last night's show... After screaming at these people and barking orders left and right, she goes on to say "These people just take and take without giving. I'm a giver." I could NOT stop laughing when she said that. I would hate to be around her for an extended period of time. She was very, very annoying.
    "They want you to do a TV show?"
    "Well, they want me to come up with an idea. I don't have any ideas."
    "C'mon, how hard is that? Look at all the junk that's on TV."
    - George and Jerry, in "The Pitch"

That woman on last night's show... After screaming at these people and barking orders left and right, she goes on to say "These people just take and take without giving. I'm a giver." I could NOT stop laughing when she said that. I would hate to be around her for an extended period of time. She was very, very annoying.
    Well at least the good people of California never have to worry about ever seeing her again!
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I had the show on, but was paying attention off and on, here and there (multi-tasking here, of course), but as soon as heard that I fell to pieces! A giver and not a taker?

Okay, give us a break and take another airline next time. Yeesh. Wasn't the whole shebang over a $15 set of lawn chairs or something? My luck I'd be stuck sitting next to her flying half-way around the globe!

I had to laugh at the guys reaction to the dancer stretching in the aisle(things like that don't happen when I fly). I was surprised that she got hired, she wasnt that graceful.

The woman moving to Arizona was a piece of work. Angry at everyone for her lot in life.

Good episode though

Arizona woman -- it reminded me of that train wreck of a dating show (the one at the tropical hotel that had pop-eyed Toni in it), where most of the highly dysfunctional contestants were from Arizona. What is it about that state that breeds such trashy and self-defeating behavior? Did all their mothers abandon them at the grocery store?
    I felt in this case it might have been a class prejudice in that the belligerent woman may have had a point she was unable to get across. If they broke her package, which had been checked as one item, they shouldn't make her pay to check it as two items. It sounded like she had a good case that it was their responsibility, and they were just bullying her because she didn't know how to help herself. The employees were like dumb cops who have more power than they know what to do with and use it unwisely. Obviously not a lot of customer service training there.

I just started watching this show so I am watching the repeats. The recent one where they were going to take away the job-interviewee's free plane ticket because of her aggressive attitude was a horrible reflection on the company. If a company promises to fly you out for an interview, they should not leave you stranded, and it should not be in an underling's power to take away your ticket!!!! That is a Human Resource nightmare. It was the employee who reflected badly on the company. I would have laughed at her "We are all friendly" comment if she hadn't disgusted me. At least we are all warned about how cheap Southwest is. What an outrage. Treating prospective employees badly must be one of their cost-cutting strategies.

As for all the airport drinking comments, we thought the same thing. Of course we get to airports early and don't sit in bars, so it is not like they have to do it, but it does seem strange there is at least one denying-boarding-due-to-drunkeness incident on each episode. Can't they find anything else to film?
    Last edited by Harvest; 06-10-2005 at 01:20 PM.

"Amish In The City" JonasIsTheMan's Avatar
    Haha A&E has got me hooked on Monday nights..I gotta always catch my "Airline" and then "Growing Up Gotti"...man A&E's programming has gotten a lot better than in the past years.."Dog the Bounty Hunter" is also a good show..
    "After all the backstabbing they've done, those PANSIES can't handle backstabbing themselves." - Jonas P. Kurtz

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast