+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Remodeling/Decorating TV - what are you sick of?

Home Remodeling/Decorating TV - what are you sick of?

Okay, I'll admit it... I'm somewhat addicted to home remodeling and decorating shows. The purchase of my first home coincided with the initial, sudden period of public interest in "Trading Spaces," and I needed some good ideas. Soon, I became hooked.

Well, now I'm becoming un-hooked, especially where "Trading Spaces" is concerned. I couldn't tell you the last time I took a good idea away from the show, or when the designers, ANY of them, came up with a room that I'd actually want in my house. In fact, I think Barry and Hildi have been coached into doing outrageous crap just to help create a sort of Decor-shock TV and hopefully boost ratings. Word up to TLC: you're succeeding in doing the opposite... driving people away.

My opinion is the "Designed to Sell" remains one of the better shows on the air. Not only do each of the rooms they do look dramatically better upon completion, but it also sends out a really good message: spend a little cash and do a little work on your place before it goes to market and you'll get better results. And don't be outrageous about it.

All this being said, to follow are some things I hope to never see again on any home improvement show. I encourage everyone out there to add to the list... threads like these can get wicked funny.

1. Loud, gaudy colors and crappy paint jobs trying to pass as classy.

2. Candace Olsen's pot lights. I challenge this woman to do a design where they AREN'T used. Talk about a crutch.

3. Chocolate brown. A note to designers out there: there are other colors available at Lowe's.

4. Susie Coehlo's nostrils. Frightening... simply frightening.

5. Ordinary people trying to act on "House Hunters." Thankfully, they changed the format of the show so that people no longer have to fake getting that all-important, life-changing cellphone call from their realtor. (Say the following as if you were a talking two-by-four: "Really? We got the house? That's great news.")

6. Theme rooms of any kind on any show.

7. Those over-sized stars on the mantle of any given model home.

8. Lemons as decorative pieces.

9. Water features that look like they were fished out of a trash heap somewhere in Tuscany. PS - To those who don't actually know this: Tuscany is in ITALY, not France.

10. Hildi-Santo Tomas' shoe collection. You know the woman just isn't serious about remodeling when she wears a pair of backless Manolo Blahnik's with 4-inch spike heels to the job site.

Your turn.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

1. Furniture being referred to as "pieces" and rooms being referred to as "spaces".
    I know that's what they are, but it just bugs me.

2.Unqualified "designers" getting jobs on TS.

3. Candace Olsen and her crazy overuse of many different fabrics patterns in every room. Tone it down please, Love.

4. Doug Wilson and his supreme arrogance on TS.
    Doing a room like a prison cell because you personally find it amusing takes narcissism to a whole new level. It wasn't clever or funny or even well designed or executed.

Hear hear, Fluff! Add those as numbers 11-14 on my list, too!
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff
    4. Doug Wilson and his supreme arrogance on TS.
    Doing a room like a prison cell because you personally find it amusing takes narcissism to a whole new level. It wasn't clever or funny or even well designed or executed.
    I HATED that room! What was he thinking?

One thing I'd love for them to "do away" with is the idea already being set before the designers get there. For instance, I hate when they say "I found this piece at an auction once" and then they design a room around that one article. I can only imagine how odd some of these rooms fit into the scheme of people's houses.

I totally agree with you, though, I would love to see some shows with practical advice. I mean, who the heck wants a prison room? Or an all-black room? Or an all-white room? Geez.
    "They want you to do a TV show?"
    "Well, they want me to come up with an idea. I don't have any ideas."
    "C'mon, how hard is that? Look at all the junk that's on TV."
    - George and Jerry, in "The Pitch"

I used to love TS! I have been watching it since the very beginning. But, I really don't love it anymore, I just tolerate it. Which is sad because they really had a good thing going. Why did they mess with the formula? I'd like to add that I DID NOT vote for that "designer" that TS has now. That really pissed me off. I'd like to tell the designers that there is another color besides that horrid pea/baby diaper green! I'm also sick of Doug(good looking as he is) and I have long been sick of Hilde! I guess this was just a TS rant.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

Quote Originally Posted by realornot
    One thing I'd love for them to "do away" with is the idea already being set before the designers get there. For instance, I hate when they say "I found this piece at an auction once" and then they design a room around that one article. I can only imagine how odd some of these rooms fit into the scheme of people's houses.
    Umm.. they already have gotten rid of that this season. They now come in and have their option of three different rooms in the house. On day one they go shopping with the guest couple, then they decorate on day two and three.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

It annoys me that most of these shows involve 2 days and $1000-ish dollars for redecorating. What's up with that? In some cases it is justified (I doubt that many people want to spend tens of thousands when they are selling their house) but in many cases I think it is a recipe for disaster. Would anyone out there really glue straw to their walls in an attempt to redecorate on a $1000 budget? Same goes for cardboard, moss, fabric walls, etc. Why are there so few shows that make a decent attempt to redecorate on an affordable budget while making the room look half decent? It seems that many shows have jumped on the Trading Spaces bandwagon without much thought...

My favourite shows now do not involve a "budget"... Neat (as I mentioned on another thread) is excellent. The host (Helen Buttigeig) helps people make better use of their spaces and understand why they are crippled by clutter. Another excellent show is Holmes on Homes. The host (Mike Holmes ) renovates houses for people who have recently had contractors make a mess of their renovations. He basically comes in and rights all the wrongs. I have learned a lot about renovation by watching this show.

I guess I enjoy watching real changes where the people are the focus and not the budget. If anyone has not seen these shows, you should check them out... but think they may be shown only in Canada...

Sooz, Mike Holmes is my husband's hero. Seriously, though, my FIL built his own house and he said Mike was the real deal. I also like the fact that Mike actually does some good - it's hard to tune into TS and watch straw being glued on the walls after you watch Mike completely re-wire someone's house.

If you like people-focused shows, Real Renos (which I believe is only seen in Canada) is a riot. Jim Caruk (cannot believe he's a real contractor...I wouldn't complain if he took a few extra weeks to finish my house) and his foreman are as good as any comedy team out there. They do beautiful work - mind you, the majority of it is done for very well-off clients in tony sections of Toronto - but the process of the job itself is fascinating, and actually makes you feel a little empathy for building contractors.

Now if I could just get Jim's crew to build me a house, and the Designer Guys to decorate it...nirvana.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Sooz, I love that show Neat. I wish Helen could travel to the states and come to my house. She works miracles. I am a huge clutterbug and get discouraged even thinking about tackling it.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

I enjoy watching HGTV. Many of their shows give me new ideas. My favorite is Kenneth Brown's show. I love his decorating and cannot wait to see the next room he does. Candice Olsen is a bit cheesy but I usually Love her designs even though she and Chico love pot lights.

I used to love Trading Spaces but also got tired of Hilde, Doug and the others with their over-the-top trash decorating with what they wanted rather than what their client did. The only good thing to come out of that show was Ty Pennington and it took him leaving to make it!

Curb Appeal is another one I enjoy. They do some easy things that dramatically change the look of a home.

The organization shows are frustrating to me . First I cannot imagine people living in the messes that they do in the first place. Don't' they feel a bit guilty letting the entire world see that they are pigs and pack rats? Then sitting back and watching the staff clean up their mess???

I often think they should go back 6 months later and see if it is a mess
    again?? Wanna bet it is back the original condition?

I also enjoy ( the name escapes me at the moment) where they just rearrange the furniture they already have. I have gotten some good ideas from that show.

I'm also tired of the pea green baby poop yellow color scheme.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast