+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home Remodeling/Decorating TV - what are you sick of?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by cottoncandy

I find it annoying when shows redecorate entire rooms around a theme that is not very conducive to an attractive environment. Especially if the theme is based on someone's passing fancy. Just because Bobbie currently thinks he wants to be a cardiologist when he grows up, doesn't mean that a giant 3-D replica of a human heart hanging as a chandelier in his bedroom, along with IV poles as bedposts, and a crash cart for a nightstand, is a good idea.
    Oh god! Good one.

I am sick of:

1. red walls.
    2. Sage green anything. It belongs on the herb.
    3. Amoires to hide TV's. They are more of an eyesore than the television. Just buy an attractive TV and put in on a nice table.
    4. Upholstered cubes with a tray as coffee tables.

There is so much more but these leap to mind at the moment.

What I dislike the most about the home makeover shows is the incompetant people calling themselves designers who never took a national exam or even a state exam and certainly no university courses.....but they have an "eye". They give professional Interior Designers who have their B.A. or B.S. degree and passed their state and national exams and complete internships a bad name. No professional would do a lot of things the TV decorators engage in. There are a lot of the decorating shows I can't bare to watch...even though next to reality shows they are my favorite.
    Last edited by Vonna; 09-22-2005 at 09:24 PM.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

FORT Fogey
    It is time for some new shows. What is up with Sell this House and Designed to Sell? How many more years are we going to be offered reruns from 2001? Go away. Fill the time slots with something fresh.

Make people take their own wall paper off before the camera arrives. We dont care about that.

Stop saying dated when you mean ugly. Just say it.

I would like to hear more reasons behind the choices trained decorators make.

Get that woman off the air with the odd voice who hosts the show with the $500 budget. I forget the name but you know. Terrible show, just shameful.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat
    Get that woman off the air with the odd voice who hosts the show with the $500 budget. I forget the name but you know. Terrible show, just shameful.
    Decorating Cents?
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

A recent episode of House Hunters really made me snark. A female doctor wanted a home with at least 4 bedrooms & 4 bathrooms -- to live in by herself! She turned up her nose because the formal dining room wasn't big enough or the pool wasn't to her taste, or the kitchen cabinets weren't the right kind of wood--boo hoo hoo. These homes had to be in the $1 million-plus price range, & she was quibbling about the carpet in the master bedroom, or only 1 sink in the master bath (which was probably 400 square feet & bigger than my living room!). I wanted to slap her (figuratively speaking) & say: "Hey! Get a clue. Some people have to live in crummy 1-bedroom apartments. Don't be such a twit!"

sick of all of the above, with cheap not made to last tables, etc., etc., and room arrangements that simply will not work for LIVING in.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat
    Oh god! Good one.

I am sick of:

1. red walls.
    2. Sage green anything. It belongs on the herb.
    3. Amoires to hide TV's. They are more of an eyesore than the television. Just buy an attractive TV and put in on a nice table.
    4. Upholstered cubes with a tray as coffee tables.

There is so much more but these leap to mind at the moment.
    Yes to all of that! I'd add the tacky looking "window treatments," which are actually drapes or pull-down shades that remind me of my first apartment in the '70s and pedestal sinks in the bathroom. They're pretty, but impractical; I can fit an entire pallet of Costco toilet paper in my vanity.

I'm also sick of granite countertops. We toured the annual Street of Dreams (a 10-house subdivision of mansions outside Seattle) and every single kitchen had: granite countertops, stainless steel appliances, and off-white distressed cabinetry with the little vertical slats for plates.
    And every bathroom had travertine tile and those pedestal sinks or vanities with the basin glued on top.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123