+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Remodeling/Decorating TV - what are you sick of?

FORT Fogey
    1. painting effects and faux anything. It is already dated and has always been cheezy. I can imagine future Sell this House type of shows saying "this is so turn of the century" instead of "so 70's.

2. Tanya Meme play acting. Like she doesn't know EXACTLY what is wrong with the house. She sides with the homeowners saying assinine things like "I feel bad", I LIKE that"..........etc.

3. Shows not tweaking their format on a regular basis instead of changing when ratings drop.

4. Foolish banter and staging moments for the camera.

I have removed TS, Sell this House and House Doctor (all reruns over and over and over again) from my Tivo. I will wait until new seasons come to the US.

I will put Debbie Travis back on my Tivo. Candice Olsen will remain off, she bugs me.

I get tired of one and fall back in like with another and this is because of no format changes. see#3

We need some new shows.

I detest Ty's Extreme Makeover. It is self agrandizing and self absorbtion for the network and Ty. What is wrong with giving these people more modest homes? It is over the top and unnecessarily dramatic.

Oh, and I like pot lights.

For the shows in the States - I am sick of them always filming in California. I rarely catch episodes outside of the West Coast. There are exceptions, I grant you that, but many of the shows look like they are going into the same neighborhoods. And the flea markets - sorry, but here in Maryland, our flea markets are full of crap, not tons and tons of tables filled with all types of interesting and usable antiques. If there is one, someone please give me directions!

I will continue to watch most of them - not TS (Vern was my favorite) - but some of the other ones that give me ideas I can actually use.

Quote Originally Posted by CuckoosNest
    10. Hildi-Santo Tomas' shoe collection. You know the woman just isn't serious about remodeling when she wears a pair of backless Manolo Blahnik's with 4-inch spike heels to the job site.

That's a crime against nature even wearing those around ANYTHING that could get paint on them!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogbat
    I detest Ty's Extreme Makeover. It is self agrandizing and self absorbtion for the network and Ty. What is wrong with giving these people more modest homes? It is over the top and unnecessarily dramatic.
    I agree to some extent... Some of those families have lived in such SMALL houses for so long, a nice big house would be nice for them. Especially if they have many family members living under the roof..

But last night's episode I was just like WHAT?! They built this BLIND man a 4000 sq ft (I think) home... saying it was better for him cause he can move around more...

Uhhh.... great Ty... just add MORE space to his house to he can bump into things and completely lost in the extra 2500 sq ft built on... Good job... :rolleyes

Other than that... I love Extreme Makeover... I think they come up with really good ideas for disabled people (blind, deaf, autisitic, handicapped)
    Last edited by Callie; 05-02-2005 at 10:22 AM.

FORT Newbie
    I love Extreme Makeover Home Edition but...the show was originally made for homes that needed some attention so applicants that need a home makeover (hence the name of the show) would apply...however as the shows air the families stories get more and more sad...and not always but sometimes the homes are not even that bad but the story is so tragic they get accepted most definately over people who are still believing its only a home makeover show and live in a home that is in dire need of EMHE's assistance...I guess my point is that the name of the show and the point of it should probably be re-evaluated because if you have a home that needs a home makeover you need to have not a compelling story as the show states but a tragic story. No disrepect to any of the families that make it but seriously I know I am not the only one that feels this way!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dauwer77
    I love Extreme Makeover Home Edition but...the show was originally made for homes that needed some attention so applicants that need a home makeover (hence the name of the show) would apply...however as the shows air the families stories get more and more sad...and not always but sometimes the homes are not even that bad but the story is so tragic they get accepted most definately over people who are still believing its only a home makeover show and live in a home that is in dire need of EMHE's assistance...I guess my point is that the name of the show and the point of it should probably be re-evaluated because if you have a home that needs a home makeover you need to have not a compelling story as the show states but a tragic story. No disrepect to any of the families that make it but seriously I know I am not the only one that feels this way!!
    Yeah... I think it just evolved from
    - home needed a makeover then:
    - home needed makeover cause it was unhealthy for sick person then:
    - home got makeover because of sick/unhealthy/unforunate people

I have to agree re Extreme Makeover.
    I know the makeovers are supposed to be "extreme" but I really think they go too far at times.
    Make sure the house is structurally sounds, nicely decorated, hell, even get them new furniture and appliances, but sometimes they go way over the top with some of the things they buy for them such as gigantic tv's and all the other entertainment paraphernalia.

I have to agree about the colors used so often in the Home make-over's.... I am so tired of seeing not only that drab green... but freakish bright red.

The one thing that is a common thing with all these shows that truly annoy me... that the designer ignores the homeowner's input. The time I saw that pinhead on TS paint slate blue vertical stripes on gorgeous natural wood floors... I truly thought the lady homeowner was going to kill someone... her face was priceless when she saw those blue stripes on her wood floors.

Did anyone see the show on WB last week? The show that Bill Engval(blue collar comedy tour guy) did a remodel on this families trailer - mobile home?

It had to be the funniest home make over show ever.

And it was by far the worse home I have ever seen done on any makeover show. It was maybe 800 square feet and had parents and 6 kids living in it. I would have guess that trailer was built new in the 1950's.

The show replaced the single wide trailer with a slightly used double wide and completely redid it... it was great.

☆ Janie Queen of BB cottoncandy's Avatar
    Bwah! I didn't know who Susie Coehlo was, so I had to google her to get a gander at her frightning nostrils.

I find it annoying when shows redecorate entire rooms around a theme that is not very conducive to an attractive environment. Especially if the theme is based on someone's passing fancy. Just because Bobbie currently thinks he wants to be a cardiologist when he grows up, doesn't mean that a giant 3-D replica of a human heart hanging as a chandelier in his bedroom, along with IV poles as bedposts, and a crash cart for a nightstand, is a good idea.

I no longer watch most of the decorating shows on TV, but I do try to catch Clean House, because they are the most entertaining cast, especially Niecy Nash from Reno 911.

Quote Originally Posted by cottoncandy
    I find it annoying when shows redecorate entire rooms around a theme that is not very conducive to an attractive environment... Just because Bobbie currently thinks he wants to be a cardiologist when he grows up, doesn't mean that a giant 3-D replica of a human heart hanging as a chandelier in his bedroom, along with IV poles as bedposts, and a crash cart for a nightstand, is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by sooz
    I like Mike Totally unrelated to the topic but I had to admire your avatar.
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast