+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3031323334353637383940

Thread: Rob and Amber's Wedding

Quote Originally Posted by PWS
    Apparently the answer is yes...but I am curious how Rob's dad's house present holds up...looks like they are really getting hit.
    Hmmm, talking to myself, even quoting myself....things are really getting bad!
    I wonder if they will be moving out about as fast as they moved in. People who aren't used to that kind of weather might have second thoughts about now, don't you think? I know I would.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Wonder if they were there for it. Apparently it tamed down and didn't do much damage other than power outages, and the one woman who was swimming (!!!) in the build up period and was caught in a riptide who drowned.

FORT Fogey
    Our house, 1 block from the ocean, on a barrier island in Ft Pierce FL, was hit dead on with 2 hurricanes (Jeanne, Frances) and 1 tropical storm (Ivan) in one month. We were on the northern eye wall, the worst place to be in a hurricane. Our house was new and suffered no damage other than losing a dozen shingles.

As Syrin said, the new building standards have been in effect since Andrew. Houses are now built to sustain catagory 5 hurricanes. Not to say that some of these houses may flood. Ours is 71/2 feet above sea level and the water rose to 7 feet. Our neighbors were not so lucky.

Arlene was just a storm. No big deal. Northern states get worse weather in a winter storm.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Whoa! Category 5! Amazing.... I wonder if other hurricane vulnerable states have such stringent requirements?
    Thanks for the on the spot reporting!

+ Reply to Thread