+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Intervention: Vern Yip

I had forgotten about this so I'm glad I came here. Got it on now.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

Q...... they are definitely being very hard on Randy. He's a homeowner, not a General Contractor, yet they expect him to be perfectly in control.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Holy cow! They're lucky they didn't start a forest fire when they blew up the trailer. The house is certainly an improvement though.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

That house was beautiful! I missed the first 15 minutes so I don't know the story of how it was started. I can't believe they lived in that trailer for 10 years. I thought the blowing up of the trailer was a bit much, though.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

That house was spectacular. Vern is brilliant.

As for the show...that contractor was a total SOB. I'm surprised they chose someone so grim and non-personable. Mind you, that homeowner would have pissed off a saint...that air-conditioning contraption left my husband and I completely dumbfounded. No wonder the house took him 10 years if he spent so much time farting around with crap like that. I can't believe his wife didn't leave him at some point.

All in all, not bad. It's worth sitting through just to see what Vern comes up with to design the interior (though the landscaping around the house was lovely as well).
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I really wanted to like this show more than I did. It seemed like a poor man's Extreme Makeover. The voiceovers done by the homeowner were super-cheesy and clearly written for him ahead of time. At least on EM, the homeowners make it sound natural.

I thought they were pretty hard on Randy too. For cryin' out loud - look at what he did in 10 years and they expect him to get it together in 10 days? That air conditioning thing was ridiculous. How many hours did he spend floundering around in that lake?

Even though Contractor Ben was kind of a jerk, I still think he's hot I'm a sucker for a foreign accent.

If Vern wasn't involved I probably wouldn't have watched the show in the first place. I really do like him though so if this is a series, I'll probably get sucked into watching it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Critical, I wanted to like it more, too. I was flipping back and forth from TS Family and that. I probably won't watch it again but I did want to see how Vern decorated the house. As usual, he was spectacular.

Huge disappointment! I think it lacks the human compassion aspect among other things that EMHE encompasses. The first 45 minutes was very difficult to watch. Sadly, even with Vern's touches in the end just isn't enough for me to watch it again.

Vern needs his own "how to" show. He has a wonderful website with lots of great ideas. I would love to see him on the Home and Garden channel showcasing his brilliant ideas and design tips.

I agree, WomynLee. I just couldn't get beyond how rude the General Contractor was to the homeowner. Reminded me too much of the initial installment of "Town Haul," another show that I refused to watch any more of.

Since this show was taped back in September and they held onto it for so long, I would have to hope that they had received feedback and have revamped it for future shows. I'll give the show one more watch and that's it.

I, too, wish he had more of a "Divine Design" type of show.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I missed it this week because I was in Vegas. I will have to catch it next week but it sounds like I will be dissapointed.
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast