+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor TLC Ratings

Poor TLC Ratings

Does anyone think this 'remodeling' thing can last much longer? Thats the bulk of what TLC IS! Im thinking that TLC changes the remodeling show focus all together within 2 to three years.
    What do you folks think?

Quote Originally Posted by Sushi
    Does anyone think this 'remodeling' thing can last much longer? Thats the bulk of what TLC IS! Im thinking that TLC changes the remodeling show focus all together within 2 to three years.
    What do you folks think?
    Yeap, I think it will last a while. For instance, you have HGTV an entire network dedicated to some type of remodeling either inside or outside of the home. You have Designers Guys and Design By Surprise (right name??) on Discovery. You have Clean House, Merge, Brinky Maxwell and Martha on Style and of course Christopher Lowell on whatever local networks and TLC. Oh there are the Moms Design show and Sell This House on A&E. So I don't think it will go away. TLC may probably have to get a new show (as far as Trading Spaces goes) or really revamp the current version cause I quit watching it ages ago.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    TLC ruined Trading Spaces with gimmicks and driven away their fan base. I don't watch the over remodelling shows, but I do remember when actually was The Learning Channel, not reality-tv makeover shows.

I know one thing. That new show Sheer Dallas isn't going to help them any. I haven't been a big fan of TS in a while now because they've tampered with it so much.

There are a few things on TLC that I enjoy. I'm not a car fan, so Overhaulin' and Rides aren't up my alley, nor do I know how they are for those who are into automobiles.

I enjoy A Makeover Story (for the most part, the ones without any host). In a Fix is one of my favorites. And, I also like What Not to Wear.

However, I have to say that all the Trading Spaces original and spin off shows are off my viewing list. They are amongst the few things I actually turn off the TV.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

If Trading Spaces could do the show in a half hour ... I would watch more. I can't watch a home improvement show for an hour without getting bored. That's why I watch HGTV alot more, most of thier shows are fast.

I remember when TLC used to be predominantly medical shows ... how the times have changed.

JR.
    By David Bauder, AP Television Writer | April 10, 2005

NEW YORK -- Two years ago, the people at TLC wouldn't have traded spaces with anybody.

The home makeover show "Trading Spaces" was one of those cultural phenomena most tiny cable networks can only dream about, and TLC rode the wave to record ratings and attention.

Then it crashed.

Doomed by overexposure, imitation and changing tastes, "Trading Spaces" lost much of its audience and TLC has paid the price. Its president, Roger Marmet, was ousted. Some two dozen jobs were lost. And TLC is struggling to change the perception that it's a network in free fall.
    Here's the rest of it: TLC adjusts after 'Trading Spaces' crashes

Quote Originally Posted by rt1ky
    TLC ruined Trading Spaces with gimmicks and driven away their fan base. I don't watch the over remodelling shows, but I do remember when actually was The Learning Channel, not reality-tv makeover shows.

I know before the History Channel and all the other digital cable Discovery/History Interantional stuff , TLC would show some good stuff, but that was in the late '90's.

I watch TLC quite a bit. I like Clean Sweep and In a Fix. Trading spaces is just ok. I also like What not to Wear. I know several guys who watch the various car shows religiously.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    I think TLC has driven away its core audience with each format change in its show and its overall programming. They change so quickly and so often, looking for higher ratings, without. Trading Spaces was doing really well, then they introduced gimmicks, special episodes and format changes. TPTB at TLC sold out the network's identity for trends in higher ratings and the damage is done. Niche networks are taking their audience, because they know and respect their audience.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast