+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poor TLC Ratings

The nosedive that "Trading Spaces" has taken can be blamed on one, huge, undeniable fact: since around the time that Vern Yip left the show, they haven't done a room that anyone with a full set of chromosomes would want in their house.

Okay, there are a few that came close, or were simply "eh" in their execution. But it seems the true slant of the show lately is just to come up with new things that are less innovative as they are shocking. It also seems they're trying like crazy to get bad responses from the homeowners. Granted, the "I'm going to have to leave the room now" lady did more for this show's ratings than anyone or anything else... but this isn't why the bulk of people are watching. If they were, then why was Vern, with his tasteful, RESTRAINED redesigns, so popular?

Get back to decorating for real, people. And get some designers who actually know design... watching Barry or Hildi screw up somebody's home is not my definition of entertainment.
    Coach Ken: "Kid, you make this kick and you die a legend."
    Curt: "Can I pee first?"

You said it! That's exactly why I quit watching. When it was first on, that crazy Des woman (the lamp designer) was the only crazy. For me it was never a show about what crazy thing can we do to your house; it was about finding a cheap way to be creative in your house. Sorry, Hildi, but you will NEVER see me put wine labels, straw, or plastic flowers on my walls. And what was up with that crazy white room/black room idea??????????? Those purposeful ruinings of people's houses are not entertaining.

Frank was always a little too precious for my taste, but there are a few ideas of his I tried out in my own home. Vern, Laurie, and Frank at least tried to work with a person's taste.

Truthfully, if Trading Spaces went back to its roots I'd probably start watching again. They haven't lost me for good. Oh, and they'd have to get rid of Paige...time for a new host.

I totally agree about Hilde and some of the outrageous things done. However, they also have to remember that they did agree to have their room redone. But, I think that Doug did that white room intentionally even after not listening to the guys. Things like that are just wrong. Hilde is just plain wacko and needs to stay over in France where her main house is located. Maybe they appreciate that kind of stuff over there. I wasn't too crazy about Dez, either. I liked Frank in the beginning but he has long begun to wear on me. It's time for some fresh people. I guess Vern got fed up, too. He has done some very tasteful rooms. I also like Edward.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

I just remembered a crazy Hilde idea from the first season---this was the same episode where Gen put moss on the wall in an asthmatic's home. Remember how the guy kept saying he didn't care what anyone did, but he had just had new Berber carpeting installed and didn't want that messed with. It was completely neutral, but Hilde ripped it out and put down subflooring instead!!! Not even real flooring!!

We liked a little drama on these shows, but attempting to ruin someone's home is just mean.

I do like What Not to Wear. I used to like A Dating Story until it turned into a PBS version of Blind Date. There were a couple of summers straight (I'm a teacher) where I'd watch A Dating Story, A Wedding Story, and A Makeover Story every single day. It never got old!! Then they changed the format on me and now I never watch.

Do they still have "A Wedding Story" and "A Baby Story" on TLC? I haven't watched those in awhile just due to busy schedule...

I used to love watching those shows... When my sister was getting married, we'd watch them together over the phone and then pick out what we like and incorporate it into her wedding Fun times...

xSKATExORxCRYx
    I love For Better or For Worse, because it offered really interesting cheap ideas for a wedding, and there were some AMAZING weddings (the waterfall/flower-boa wedding was intially ghastly but incredibly beautiful by the end).

Is that show still on?

TLC should change it's format to a REAL SIMPLE magazine-style channel. How to, etc.

How I miss those Furniture-on-the-mend and Furniture-To-Go shows!

Quote Originally Posted by stEEvEEdEE

TLC should change it's format to a REAL SIMPLE magazine-style channel. How to, etc.

How I miss those Furniture-on-the-mend and Furniture-To-Go shows!

You should be paid for that idea--I love it!! Real Simple should just try to get a TV show on TLC or HGTV...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12