+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Invasion Iowa, with William Shatner

Found it.

Invasion Iowa will be on Spike TV next week. 3/28 thru 4/1 at 9 pm.
    It will be 1 hour long on Tues, Wed and Thurs nights. On Friday the finale will be 2 hours long. It is classified as a comedy. It is a story about a Hollywood film crew that comes to Iowa to shoot a scifi movie.

It's only a week long!?!?!

That's crazy! It sure does collide with a lot of other reality shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone
    Well, you've talked me into it. I'll bet he's doing the Iowa Invasion show because I think he was born in Iowa... or was it Captain Kirk who was born in Iowa? I'm confused now.
    I believe Kirk is supposed to be a native of Iowa. I think Shatner is from Montreal, believe it or not. I once watched him on TV, walking through the neighborhood where he grew up and speaking French to the residents. It was surreal, especially since I hadn't turned on the French audio track on one of my Star Trek DVD's.

ETA: Ah, here we go. A Kirk Shatner biography, and yes, he is from Quebec.
    Last edited by phat32; 03-26-2005 at 02:53 PM.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Phat is right but the town in Iowa where this is filmed claims to be his birthplace. I'm disappointed they are showing it on consecutive nights like this.

Originally it was one of those tv movies that runs several nights, it is supposed to be a farce not an actual reality tv series.

I think Shatner did it right after he was riding high because of the success of the Priceline (names not right) commercials.

Shatner was born and raised in Canada. The town in Iowa is the town in which Captain Kirk was supposedly born (in the future).

I'm not missing this show for the world! If anybody here watched Joe Schmo (1 and 2) you know what you're in for. It's the same producers.

The idea is that they went into the town telling the folks that they were shooing a sci-fi movie there, hiring some locals as extras and crew. But what they were really doing is filming the locals as their cast performed pre-determined character roles (kleptomaniac, etc.) during their stay in town. In effect, the producers created little scenarios for the "cast" from LA to play out in town and watch the response.

The reviews have been outstanding. The producers were worried the locals would be upset but they had a screening last week and the locals thought it was a hoot and were pleased that fun was made both of them and of the Hollywood-ites.

Apparently, a few of the local began to get suspicious and they had to make quick adjustments in their "story line".

If you know Joe Schmo, you know the producers are extremely gentle when it comes to protecting their "target's" feelings and still deliver a funny, entertaining show.

Don't worry about the language and sexual innuendo present in Joe Schmo creeping in here. The producer promises it's much tamer and quite safe.

I've been waiting for this one for ages and can't wait 'til Tuesday. THankfully, it starts right AFTER The Amazing Race or I'd have to learn how to program my VCR.

Meet you all back here Tuesday night!

Consecutive nights...
    I have bever watched Spike TV, and I told Hubby that they probably scheduled it that way because they were afraid if they waited a week between episodes people would forget about their network

It's cool they thought to locate the show in Captain Kirk's birth town. I had heard that William Shatner was Canadian.

This is slightly OT, but did anyone see the preview commercials for the last Star Trek Enterprise episodes where Captain Archer's "new" uniform is going to look like the original Captain Kirk style? And they're bringing back the green dancing alien girls too. Classic Kirk! Who was the comic who did a routine on that, talking about the "green b*tches" and how Kirk would "do" anything?

FORT Fan
    Surely I'm not the only one watching this? Initially I was worried that the Riverside residents would be made to look like fools, but when I heard Shatner express dismay as to how he was going to reveal the truth to them I felt much better. Shatner has a conscience and as a fellow Canadian I'm relieved.

Love the people of Riverside! Honest, ethical, positive attitude and give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Art_930
    Surely I'm not the only one watching this?
    I would have loved to have seen it! But I forgot all about it, been without Fort this week...

BUT, I plan to record the 2-hour finale tonight and, if I like it a lot, I hope to catch reruns of the whole series. (surely Spike will rerun it...)

I recorded the first episode, then forgot about the rest. I will record tonight's finale.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast