+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EMHE 3/13 & 3/14 Okvath family

EMHE 3/13 & 3/14 Okvath family

I thought we had a thread for this episode but I can’t find it anywhere.

This show just keeps getting bigger and better. This week the Disney Design Team spruced up the children’s cancer ward at University Medical Center in Tuscon Arizona on behalf of a former patient, 8-year old Kassandra Okvath. At the same time Ty and our gang secretly demolished the family’s house and built them a new one: Spanish Colonial style, almost 6,000 square feet.

My favorite rooms were the vintage movie theater and the craft room full of beads. (I love beads! ) Kassandra makes necklaces to raise money for cancer research, which can be purchased at Beads Galore in Tempe Arizona.

The previous owners of the house returned for one last look before it was demolished. They took away with them a slab of concrete that their family had all put their hand-prints in, before their son Ryan died of cancer.

Preston wrote a kid’s book for Kassandra, called “Love Comes First”. There is no end to the talent these people possess. On the flip-side, Ed got himself a blister, which he soaked in after-shave, which caused a serious infection. OK, so they’re not all geniuses. And there was a bit of editing that drove me crazy: sometimes Ty was wearing 2 necklaces, and sometimes only one, in the same scene! It kept disappearing and reappearing.

The house is equipped with air and water purifiers, since Kassandra’s immune system is low. And they brought in pest control to rid the property of scorpions.

Ty did Kassandra’s room up like a garden. 6-year old Gabby got a gymnastics room with photos of Karlie Patterson doing flips in front of the house during it’s construction. They called in Paul to replace Ed on working on a Kite bedroom for 5-year old Levi. 2-year old twins Josiah & Tobiah got a Construction bedroom, and baby Jonathan got his own nursery. Parents Bryan & Nichol got a massive master suite, with a connecting door to Kassandra’s room.

They built a small amusement park in the backyard, with a 50-year old carousel that still works. Large quantities of rain turned the whole yard to mud for awhile.

Apparently the show is now receiving 1,000 audition tapes a day, from people looking for a Home Makeover. I wonder how much longer they’re going to be able to continue out-doing themselves each week.

ETA: Oops! I put this in the wrong forum! Could a mod please move it? Thanks.
    Last edited by Qboots; 03-15-2005 at 07:39 PM.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Qboots - I know there was a thread here on Monday, but it seems to have disappeared! Someone had posted that they believed the universe had something big in store for Kassandra and I completely agree!

I absolutely LOVED this ep... I also caught the "How'd they do that" ep on Monday and still needed a box of kleenex for the show!!! What a fantastic little girl.

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

She is very mature for her age, and such a thoughtful little girl.

Preston cracked me up when he named the workers the "Busy Blue Beavers".

Pssst Preston: if your beaver is blue, there's something wrong with it!
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

You are so right!!!

That story was adorable though.

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

FORT Fan
    Great episode. Great kid. I hate to rain on the parade but, does anyone have any idea what it costs to cool a 5,000 sq foot house in Phoenix AZ? I do. It's not pretty. How do these people afford the up keep on these huge homes?

FORT Newbie
    Just so everyone knows, Kassandra is going to be on the Ellen Degeneres show today (3/21/05) at 3pm Arizona time on CBS. She'll be talking about her reasons to why she wanted the cancer ward changed from the dreadful "white walls".

Thanks for the heads-up PB! I'm glad I saw your post in time.

And welcome to the FORT!

Kassandra's birthday is tomorrow, so Ellen gave her a kitten. And she gave Ellen one of the necklaces she makes for charity. It looked to me like Ellen was tearing up.

Kassandra has her own website now: lovecomesfirst.com

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Ellen was definitely tearing up. As was I!!! Kassandra really is a special little girl. She was SO cute with that kitten!!!

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar
    I also loved this show. The tissue box was kept at the ready. You are so right about the talent on the design team. But, other than showing her busy at work, they didn't really credit the illustrator and I thought she did a terrific job on the book. I'm surprised they haven't mass printed it and used it as a charity donation item. Maybe they have or they will.

Isn't it neat that Disney and ABC are joined at the hip? The last few shows have featured Disney participation at some level. I think Disney is wising up to a good thing. They really should expand this to 2 hours on Sun. Take the old Disney at 7PM and run it til 9. Also, How'd They Do That? is terrific. I so look forward to it as a way to beat back the Monday blues and extend the good feeling from Sun evening.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    This was repeated tonight. It has to be one of the best EMHE that they have ever done. That kid is an inspiration!

+ Reply to Thread