+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 48 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Little People, Big World

Little People, Big World

March 14, 2005 -- R EALITY TV has made stars of an over-the-hill rocker and his business-savvy wife, a ditzy hotel heiress and mean British music executive.
    What do you suppose it will do for a couple of big-personality "little people" who are married with four kids?

Discovery Channel believes that it's unusual "Little People, Big Dreams" will prove one thing that genetically diminutive people are the same as everyone else.

The show's star, Matt Roloff, is a laid-off computer software engineer. His wife, Amy, is a stay-at-home mom who raised their kids twins Zack and Jeremy, Molly and Jacob on the family's 30-acre Oregon farm.

That, in itself, poses challenges, both physically and emotionally.

While Molly and Jacob, the two younger children, are "average-sized" (the preferred term among little people), there's a different dynamic between 14-year-old twins Zack and Jeremy.

Zack, like his parents, is a little person, while Jeremy is average-sized. They both play soccer but when Jeremy makes the team and Zack can't compete because of his height, there's a heart-breaking life lesson to be learned.

Life lessons, though, come every day to Matt and Amy, both heavily involved in the nonprofit "Little People's Association of America."

They've appeared on "Oprah" and "Good Morning America," and Matt even wrote a book, "Against Tall Odds: Being a David in a Goliath World."

"Little People, Big Dreams" is the kind of show that might have been too weird frankly, too voyeuristic to air on a major network a few years ago.

But since the reality TV boom, compelling, off-kilter stories about unusual people are flying onto the air.

That people stare at them is nothing new to Matt and Amy. It's all part of their realistic outlook on life "finding a balance between adapting yourself to the world and adapting the world to yourself," as Matt says that reverberates throughout the show, which airs a week from Thursday.

Matt, for instance, spent most of his younger life in hospitals because his legs were severely affected by his condition. He uses crutches.

But instead of brooding about his sheltered childhood, he's built a veritable playland on Roloff Farms for his kids including a full-size Western town, a floating pirate ship, a multilevel treehouse and a castle (all shown in the documentary).

Gay Rosenthal Productions, the award-winning filmmakers behind "Little People, Big Dreams," spent 15 consecutive days taping the Roloffs.

They've captured everything from Matt's new business venture (hotel accessibility kits for little people) to Amy's anger at having to return to work after 14 years (she wants to stay home with the kids).
    http://nypost.com/entertainment/41049.htm

FORT Newbie
    I love this show!!! The family are soo awesome, and such a loving family!!! IT"S SOOO COOL

I'm so glad they finally got their own show. I remember the special TLC did on them a few years back and thought what an excellent show they would make. So entertaining!

I was bored the other night. It's OK, definitely not like anything else out there at the moment.
    Last edited by John; 03-20-2006 at 06:55 AM.

FORT Fogey
    I've seen two of the episodes. It seems that the parents favor the "normal sized" son over his twin.

Chip and Reichen#1 chipnreichenfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meda View Post
    I'm so glad they finally got their own show. I remember the special TLC did on them a few years back and thought what an excellent show they would make. So entertaining!
    I too saw the original TLC special and thought they were an interesting family.

I have seen about 3 episodes and thought they were good.

Dad is very laid back and mom isn't LOL.

Mom has lots to do with getting the kids ready, lunches, driving the kids, doing her 2 jobs, soccer practice and then going home to work .

Zack seems like a good kick while Jeremy seems quite lazy. I feel bad that Zach cannot play soccer because it is too dangerous for hime while Jeremey takes for granted that he could.

I was surprised dad allowed the boys to shoot the gun on their camping trip. I was surprised Zach didnt hurt himself.

Have to remember to watch tonight on TLC
    The greatest gift is to love and to be loved in return..The Moulin Rouge

peachroses

I love this show

I love this show because despite the obvious love this family has for each other, they are not afraid to share their vunerabilities and weaknesses and occasional bad sides. Dad admits he does not manage money well and mom tends to nag and worry about it. Mom knows her house is a mess (and it truly is) however; she knows what her limitations and priorities are and keeping a clean house is just not one of the priorities.

The kids are normal. not playing it up for the camera's...they can be bratty occasionally but the love and respect for each other comes through....I was truly touched when Jeremy was on his knees dancing with a 'little person' at the little person's conference... he was just having a good old time dancing away...... and I absolutely loved it when little brother said 'mom is not going to grow, so just get used to it'. got to love normal yet imperfect families.
    Because I said so ....

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by peach View Post
    The kids are normal. not playing it up for the camera's...they can be bratty occasionally but the love and respect for each other comes through....I was truly touched when Jeremy was on his knees dancing with a 'little person' at the little person's conference... he was just having a good old time dancing away...... and I absolutely loved it when little brother said 'mom is not going to grow, so just get used to it'. got to love normal yet imperfect families.
    Totally love this show too!!! I watched the TLC marathon today...I had only seen it once or twice in the last month, so really got caught up on all the episodes. What a lovely family! I like when the grandfather gets all frustrated with Matt (the Dad)....reminds me of how my father was with my brothers. The kids are great...well-mannered yet *real* kids. I sort of wonder about Matt's brother Sam...he mentioned that he is a little person too. Amy the Mom is great, and that 34 acre farm is very picturesque. Oregon looks absolutely beautiful.

I'm amazed at what they've accomplished on their farm. We also live on 34 acres, and sometimes rent it out for events, but they are at the most for 300 people and just occur in the small pavilion we built. I can't imagine constructing a pirate ship, multi-story treehouse, old western ghost town and then just nonchalantly taking on the task of constructing an Indian camp within 24 hours of an event, with over 900 people attending! This all from a family where most people are under 4 feet tall, it's incredible. It took me and the family nearly three weeks just to put tile in our kitchen.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I love this show...I forget when it comes on so I usually have to catch repeats....one question tho? How or what did they do for a living that allowed them to be able to pay for and maintain the property they have? I mean unless you inherit it....to have that much land and have all those playground areas and etc...that's alot for 2 "normal" sized adults to maintain and keep up...just wondering if they had ever mentioned???!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 48 1234567891011 ... LastLast