+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Little People, Big World

I noticed that too about all the equipment the kids use. Just like last night.. Matt asked if Jacob could drive.. whatever machinery it was, i forget.

Why would a 9 year old be allowed to drive something like that?

It was nice to see Amy's family though.
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

Quote Originally Posted by Super Goten;2138411;
    I noticed that too about all the equipment the kids use. Just like last night.. Matt asked if Jacob could drive.. whatever machinery it was, i forget.

It was nice to see Amy's family though.
    ya it's pretty dangerous letting kids run that type of equipment

Just 2 summers ago a neighbour of mine was letting his 9 yr old son mow the lawn alone and the little boy somehow jerked the mower backwards or something because it had hit a chunk of tree branch laying on the ground.... he fell backwards as he pulled and somehow the mower went onto his foot... it was very sad and he now has a prosthetic foot.

His dad said that his son had been helping and mow the lawn since he was 7 and there was never a problem, that he had taught him how to mow safely....
    But the thing is.... it's a kid and they just don't realize... they dont understand how easily a machine can hurt you.

I was watching the episode where Matt put the girl on that big mower and let her head off mowing the fields... and all i could think of was my neighbour and how quickly something terrible can happen even with a regular lawnmower ..... that thing that Matt had her on was a huge tractor type ride on mower.... what if she somehow fell off and wound up under it?

It's great for kids to help but they really require very strict supervision

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Goten;2138411;

They live on a farm. It's not at all uncommon for kids raised on farms to be out there driving machinery that would freak out a city raised adult Being city raised I always found it astounding that my farm raised dad was driving, not just cars, but tractors and all other farm equipment long before his 10th birthday. It's perfectly legal as long as the kids drive only on their farm.

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;2146849;
    They live on a farm. It's not at all uncommon for kids raised on farms to be out there driving machinery that would freak out a city raised adult Being city raised I always found it astounding that my farm raised dad was driving, not just cars, but tractors and all other farm equipment long before his 10th birthday. It's perfectly legal as long as the kids drive only on their farm.
    I don't think anyone is arguing the legality of it or even what the Roloff's are free to do on their land.... my point was the common sense of letting kids run around unsupervised with dangerous machinery and situations

Back when my dad was a kid it was common practice as well but he was a true FARM kid and could also tend the horses, cows, pigs you name it.
    I don't think the Roloff kids are at quite the same level of FARM ability as kids raised on real farms years ago.
    Good grief remember them at pumpkin planting time?
    They were whining and complaining after 20 minutes planting seedlings into a nicely tilled field.
    That's hardly like the kids of years ago who worked the farm with their parents.
    My dad and his brothers used to help their father plant entire sections with wheat, barley etc etc and there was no room for complaining.

The Roloff kids are not true farm kids by any stretch of the imagination.

Watching Zack and Jacob yanking nails out of planks for their tree house was enough for me... I was just waiting for one or both to wind up with a nail through their foot from careless behaviour and sure enough before long Jacob had a nail through the foot and was crying in pain blood dripping
    And what's the first thing Zack says?? "Don't tell Mom!" :nono
    Oh yes good advice, you can get serious infections from rusty nails but don't tell an adult because they might start monitoring our activities...
    As it turned out their mom found out which was a good thing!
    She made sure the puncture was properly cleaned and disinfected.

When I was growing up in the country but not on a real farm we used the equitment all the time. My Father did check us off on everything and we really had to toe the line on safety but we were using it unsupervised most of the time. I think Matt really should be much more carful about what the kids use but then we only see a small part of their lives. It's possible that the kids have been taught to use stuff the right way and we just see them showing off at times.

This weeks episode is crazy. If my husband started to fix stuff like two days before 30 guests and a big holiday I would probley hurt him bad. Then everybody could visit him in the hospital.

Watching the Thanksgiving episode tonight and seeing the pics of Amy as a little girl. Zach looks a lot like her as a young kid. Even more interesting is Amy's little brother looks a lot like Jeremy.

FYI for all of ya, tlc.com has posted a video message from Matt, Amy, and Jacob thanking everyone for their prayers. Looks like Jacob is doing good !

I love these guys, even when Amy's cranky. They're so authentic. (Although I do suspect the "Thanksgiving" episode was filmed in early September. By the real Thanksgiving, all those green trees would have lost most of their leaves.)
    I felt sorry for Matt, though. He made such an effort to get the place beautiful for his in-laws, and his father just noticed the things he hadn't done.

Yea, i think Amy's dad was a little mean about that.

I hate that she was harassed when she was a kid. I'm happy her brother did something about it. I bet that kid stayed away from her after that.

And last episode, they said she was made fun of... in kidnergarten!! What is with these people.. didn't their parents teach them anything
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Unfortunately, kids harassing other kids who may be different is more the norm than not. The cool kid is the one who will be your friend, no matter what....the one who does not fall in line with the jerky ones.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by GingerLVNV;1905832;
    This is a great show However, I really wanted to go over there and help her clean her house a little. It must be so difficult with that many messy kids!! I'd go crazy.

I hope they bring it back.

I'm not so sure it is just the kids that are messy, I have five kids , three still living at home and my house would never be as messy as that house is. Its one thing to have a lived in look and another to be so blant about picking up. If they are never shown how to keep their house clean how do you expect the kids to do anything but what they do.

+ Reply to Thread