Page 7 of 48 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Little People, Big World

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Bizarre incident at TV family's farm

Story Published: Oct 28, 2006 at 6:10 PM PST

Story Updated: Oct 28, 2006 at 8:42 PM PST
    By KATU Web Staff
    Watch the video

HILLSBORO, Ore. - A bizarre incident involving a catapult-like device, pumpkins and 3,000 pounds of concrete injured two people at the Hillsboro-area farm of a family that stars in a reality television series.

One of the injured is 9-year-old Jacob Roloff, who stars with his family in a cable TV series called "Little People, Big World."

Roloff and 58-year-old Mike Detjan were both taken by ambulance to an area hospital after suffering injuries.

Matt Roloff, Jacob's father, said that the pair were using a catapult-like device called a trebuchet to launch pumpkins in the air when the incident occurred about 5:30 p.m. at the family farm located near the intersection of Grossen Drive and Helvetia Road.

"(They) were cocking this trebuchet back and the trigger released at the wrong moment and the arm came up and kind of clocked Jacob," the father said. "He'll be fine, but he got hit pretty good. Mike got hit by the big counterweight. It looked worse than it was. I think they're both going to be OK."

The counterweight, which is made of concrete, weighed an estimated 3,000 pounds

He said his son looked more scared than anything while Detjan, his business partner, was worse off.

"Mike looked like he was beat up pretty good because that block had hit him a couple of times," the father said, "but there were no broken bones and he is going to be fine."

The Roloff family, which is made up of little and average-sized people, has gained much media attention as the stars of a television series that documents their lives.

www.katu.com
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TLC.com
    Updated 10/30/06: Accident At the Roloff Farm

At approximately 5:30pm PST on Saturday, October 28, an accident occurred at Roloff Farms, featured in TLC’s hit series “Little People, Big World,” that injured 9-year-old Jacob Roloff and family friend Mike Detjen, 58. Below is a letter from Matt Roloff that provides more detail.

TLC cameras were taping footage for the series at an alternate location when the incident occurred. The incident was not part of production of the series.

The thoughts and prayers of everyone at TLC are with Jacob, Mike and the Roloff family and we hope for a speedy recovery.

Well-wishers may send their thoughts and prayers to the Roloffs via e-mail (click here to send an email).

Any get well gifts such as cards, letters, balloons or stuffed animals should be sent to 5289 NE Elam Young Parkway, Suite F-100, Hillsboro, OR 97124

Please check back to this page for updates.

Below is a letter from Matt Roloff that provides more detail:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Friends,

Thank you all for the many well wishes and especially the prayers regarding Jacob's and Mike's terrible accident on Saturday.

Here is what happened: While Jacob and Mike were readying to launch a pumpkin, the winch that cocks the trebuchet (a catapult-like device) prematurely triggered. Both Jacob and Mike were then struck several times by a 2,000 pound block of concrete that acts as a counterweight and powers the motion of the trebuchet. A nearby crowd of seven to eight large, strong men who were visiting Roloff Farms on Saturday rushed in to help, pushing the block off of Mike. One of the men carried Jacob, who was initially knocked away by the trebuchet, into Amy’s arms. When this happened, I was in the house with the film crew doing an interview. Jeremy called me to tell me what had happened. 911 was called and ambulances were dispatched. They were both rushed to the hospital’s trauma unit.

After arriving at the hospital, it was determined, based on CT scans, that Jacob had a dime size dent in his head and doctors then performed a procedure to relieve swelling and avoid any seizure or infection. Jacob's surgery went VERY well and he's expected to make a full recovery. Within hours of the procedure, Jacob was back in action, even playing Monopoly with his sister. He should return home within the next few hours.

Mike required substantial stitches, as well as some precautionary X-Rays and CT scans, but otherwise escaped more serious injury He is also expected to make a full recovery and I’m thankful that he was released from the hospital today.

Right now, we are holding our children all a little closer, and focusing on Jacob's and Mike's recovery.

Thank you again for all the well wishes and prayers...and thank you to all our visitors yesterday who jumped in to assist with this unfortunate accident.

Best to you all,
    Matt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*note: This detailed account was originally written by Matt Roloff to update family and friends, but Matt also wanted fans of the show to have an update as well. This note has been edited for brevity from its original version.
    Yea..I was watching Headline News and in one hour, they had reported the exact names that I typed. I couldn't figure out who they were talking about either, but TLC cleared it up.

They should have an episode where they burn the catapult. I sure hope they both heal quickly.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Here's another story with a little bit more detail:

"Update: Reality TV Star Injured In Pumpkin Catapult Accident

HILLSBORO, Ore. - Two people injured in a weekend pumpkin catapult accident are home from the hospital.

Jacob Roloff, 9, and Mike Detjan, 58, were seriously injured on Roloff's family farm.
    The boy was reportedly playing near the 25-foot-high catapult when it fired prematurely, whipping Roloff in the face. The 2,000-pound concrete counterweight pinned Detjan, who was helping to launch pumpkins.
    Roloff's skull was dented and required surgery. Detjen had 200 stitches.
    Roloff and his family are featured on The Learning Channel's "Little People, Big World" series. His father, Matt Roloff, said it was a fluke thing that "we want to make sure never happens again."

http://www.koin.com/Global/story.asp?S=5614812
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    I'm glad everyone is going to be alright. I can see Amy calling for the end of the trebuchet.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    That's what mothers are for!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

When i saw this on the net, i imagined Amy was really tearing into Matt after that one.

Good to know that he's going to be ok.
    Favorite Reality Tv Quote Ever:
    "You have to do it. You have to accomplish your dreams." - Charla, The Amazing Race 5

I wonder if Matt will go ahead with his plans for the zip line

A lot of stuff that they let the kids do on that farm is quite dangerous, like the girl running that huge mowing machine all alone.

And remember Zack driving the golf cart with long lumber & other kids on on the roof and he came flying into where he was going to park and wound up hitting Matts dad in the head with one of the boards?

I'm all for kids helping but they need hands on supervision! you just dont let them take vehicles or machinery and head off on their own.

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I agree Cleocatra.. that episode where he hit his grandpa in the head w/the 2x4, I thought that Matt would have some sort of "talk" with them about driving and safety. I was bummed that they didn't. They really zip around dangerously on the golf cart. I just hope that the safety at home is elevated immensely.

Is that Toontz??
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

Quote Originally Posted by Maveno;2129257;
    I agree Cleocatra.. that episode where he hit his grandpa in the head w/the 2x4, I thought that Matt would have some sort of "talk" with them about driving and safety. I was bummed that they didn't. They really zip around dangerously on the golf cart. I just hope that the safety at home is elevated immensely.

Is that Toontz??
    Me too Maveno, I was hoping Matt would have a little talk with him

Remember Zack shooting the rifle?
    That was another disaster in the making, Matt should have explained it to Zack in more detail about the kick-back from the gun
    Zack shoots it and sends himself flying off his feet and back on to his butt.
    Matt should have had Zack brace on his shoulder and position himself better.

I love this show

+ Reply to Thread