+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Little People, Big World

Re: Little People, Big World

Quote Originally Posted by Poohtz;2925601;
    Did you notice that Amy said it wouldn't cost that much to send the kids to Sylvan? I don't know what they charge, but I have a friend who sent her daughter and she said it was very very expensive, she also said it didn't do her daughter a bit of good. I also had a friend who was going to teach for Sylvan, they were going to pay her $8.00 an hour and she would work 2 to 2 1/2 hours a night. Now days that barely covers the gas. So if they are charging a lot, it sure isn't going to the teachers. So I'm not really sure what to think of Sylvan. I do hope it helps the boys though.
    I'm sure Sylvan comped them to get a free commercial. Just like Whirlpool did for her new 'greener' washer and dryer.

I'd like to see an episode of 'Trading Spouses' where Kate goes to the Roloff's for a week and Amy goes to live with Jon and the 8 kids for a week. Would love to see Kate in the middle of that mess and dealing with rude teenagers.

Amy would be the type to say....'gum for everyone!'

Quote Originally Posted by Poohtz;2925601;
    Did you notice that Amy said it wouldn't cost that much to send the kids to Sylvan? I don't know what they charge, but I have a friend who sent her daughter and she said it was very very expensive, she also said it didn't do her daughter a bit of good. I also had a friend who was going to teach for Sylvan, they were going to pay her $8.00 an hour and she would work 2 to 2 1/2 hours a night. Now days that barely covers the gas. So if they are charging a lot, it sure isn't going to the teachers. So I'm not really sure what to think of Sylvan. I do hope it helps the boys though.
    As do I. That's very disconcerting re: Sylvan! And $8.00 per hour is obscene; what kind of teachers do they expect to attract for that pittance? Your friend was wise to turn down their munificent offer. You can make more babysitting!
    Susan

FORT Newbie

what about that military school, westpoint i'm not sure about how

they grade. maybe jeremy can join the coast guard or merchant

marines, and there's also plumbing, welding and the job corps

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2924976;
    I learned what my child was interested in reading by going to the library with him, and getting him to select materials on a regular basis just like I did. He also saw me reading a lot. In public schools, I think there is only so much that the teachers can do, with those huge class sizes. Parental involvement is crucial. That goes for Matt and Amy, as well as anyone else. You've got to do more that just drop them off at the schoolhouse door, or at the bus stop. As my son says to this day, the kid just hasn't found out what it is he likes to read yet; it's out there.
    Thank you for your great insights. As an educator, there's only so much I can do if the parents didn't get their children started on the right path from the very beginning.
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by roses4me;2930844;
    Thank you for your great insights. As an educator, there's only so much I can do if the parents didn't get their children started on the right path from the very beginning.

I agree that it helps so much when parents work with their children. Of course I have worked in schools that had mostly students that were considered "at risk", due to money, race, and several other factors. With the right teachers they were able to achieve so much. I would say there are very few kids that you can't reach if you really put the effort out there. I still think the boys may be going to one of those religious schools that are a little hard nosed about their teaching methods (I'm not saying that all religious schools are this way, but some are).

Quote Originally Posted by Poohtz;2922297;
    I was really steaming when Jeremy was talking about never really reading a book. I really wonder about the school they go to. A good teacher who has a student who is not interested in reading, checks out what interests the student and finds books for him that will make him want to read. I get the idea that the teachers at their schools are kind of "old school" teachers. Jeremy clearly isn't dumb and a teacher who is willing to put in a little extra effort can turn a student who doesn't care, into someone who loves to learn, just relate it to something that they find interesting. Of course, his mom could buy him books about things he likes too.
    It's a private Christian school where the teachers are probably less than they make at Sylvans, lol. I know if you want to teach for the glory of teaching and not for supporting, teach at a religious school, catholic or christian. I'm more critical of Amy, for his not reading. I can remember from the time I was a wee lad, my Gran and I curled up on the hideabed and her reading to me until I fell asleep. Reading and writing and rithmatic all start at home. Now, I always have a book in my backpack. And reading really became my escape from getting picked on when I was in grade school.

Quote Originally Posted by Poohtz;2931297;
    I agree that it helps so much when parents work with their children. Of course I have worked in schools that had mostly students that were considered "at risk", due to money, race, and several other factors. With the right teachers they were able to achieve so much. I would say there are very few kids that you can't reach if you really put the effort out there. I still think the boys may be going to one of those religious schools that are a little hard nosed about their teaching methods (I'm not saying that all religious schools are this way, but some are).
    Hmmm. I wonder if there is a hidden reason why he doesn't like to read. While my son does not have problems reading and loves to do so, he does have trouble concentrating and shutting out other stimuli. We are having his eyes checked for things other than the normal eyesight test.

The doctor we are sending him to has interesting information on his Web site, including a study that looked at "tracking, converging (having both eyes lock onto the same object at the same time), and focusing. More than 50 percent of the students failed, and many of these students had 20/20 eyesight, Orfield said. That's because the traditional eyesight test - the Snellen wall chart - tests only whether a child can clearly see letters 20 feet away. It does not test the ability to see objects that are close."

The study's author goes on to say that vision and eyesight are two different things, and that vision is a learned skill, like walking.

There could be other things going on.

Or it could be that reading was not introduced into his life. I volunteered for a program called Start Making A Reader Today. They gave out books to the kids and had adults read with them for an hour at a time. Some of those kids got their first books from that program.

Quote Originally Posted by Perwin;2925717;
    I'd like to see an episode of 'Trading Spouses' where Kate goes to the Roloff's for a week and Amy goes to live with Jon and the 8 kids for a week. Would love to see Kate in the middle of that mess and dealing with rude teenagers.

Amy would be the type to say....'gum for everyone!'
    Great idea! I'd watch

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Elizabeth;2925804;
    As do I. That's very disconcerting re: Sylvan! And $8.00 per hour is obscene; what kind of teachers do they expect to attract for that pittance? Your friend was wise to turn down their munificent offer. You can make more babysitting!
    Teachers just out of college and making low pay or teachers paying off their student loans. lol

+ Reply to Thread