+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 48 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Little People, Big World

Re: Little People, Big World

Quote Originally Posted by sweet_lady;2922083;
    I don't ever remember their house being clean...I just can't stand a dirty house, and would never have company over with my house looking the way theres does all the time...

I just don't see Jermey making it in college...He be better off joining the Air Force or some other hands on training like he mentioned he wanted to do...
    It would be hard for him to get into the air force with just a HS diploma and I know he couldn't get sent to flight school with out college.

FORT Fanatic

I was really steaming when Jeremy was talking about never really reading a book. I really wonder about the school they go to. A good teacher who has a student who is not interested in reading, checks out what interests the student and finds books for him that will make him want to read. I get the idea that the teachers at their schools are kind of "old school" teachers. Jeremy clearly isn't dumb and a teacher who is willing to put in a little extra effort can turn a student who doesn't care, into someone who loves to learn, just relate it to something that they find interesting. Of course, his mom could buy him books about things he likes too.

Quote Originally Posted by Poohtz;2922297;
    I was really steaming when Jeremy was talking about never really reading a book. I really wonder about the school they go to. A good teacher who has a student who is not interested in reading, checks out what interests the student and finds books for him that will make him want to read. I get the idea that the teachers at their schools are kind of "old school" teachers. Jeremy clearly isn't dumb and a teacher who is willing to put in a little extra effort can turn a student who doesn't care, into someone who loves to learn, just relate it to something that they find interesting. Of course, his mom could buy him books about things he likes too.
    I have an 18 daughter who will read anything you put in front of her and a 15 year old son who is the complete opposite. I tried providing him books/magazines about the things he was interested in and his response was " I don't want to read about snowboarding and baseball, I want to snowboard and PLAY baseball".
    I think Jeremy will be just fine. He learns in his own way and he does seem to have curiosity and ambition.
    CYA

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;2922207;
    It would be hard for him to get into the air force with just a HS diploma and I know he couldn't get sent to flight school with out college.
    That's who the military is recruits, people straight out of high school...There are plenty of jobs in the Air Force that he could get working with aircraft, from flying to fixing planes...

Quote Originally Posted by ChristoferHawke;2922207;
    most people I know in the air force were admitted right after high school... you apply for the Air Force Academy much like you would a college.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny555;2922365;
    I have an 18 daughter who will read anything you put in front of her and a 15 year old son who is the complete opposite. I tried providing him books/magazines about the things he was interested in and his response was " I don't want to read about snowboarding and baseball, I want to snowboard and PLAY baseball".
    I think Jeremy will be just fine. He learns in his own way and he does seem to have curiosity and ambition.
    I agree, there are some kids that don't want to read. I just feel there is something lacking in the school that they go to, I could be misreading it, but when you have good teachers, you don't have failing students too often. The teacher finds some way to connect what she is teaching to what kids are interested in. I love that they wait forever to notify the parents that there is a problem. Let's try telling the parents there is a problem before the grades come out so we can work on it before the report cards.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I learned what my child was interested in reading by going to the library with him, and getting him to select materials on a regular basis just like I did. He also saw me reading a lot. In public schools, I think there is only so much that the teachers can do, with those huge class sizes. Parental involvement is crucial. That goes for Matt and Amy, as well as anyone else. You've got to do more that just drop them off at the schoolhouse door, or at the bus stop. As my son says to this day, the kid just hasn't found out what it is he likes to read yet; it's out there.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fanatic

These kids don't go to public school, so I would think the class size may be smaller. Part of being a teacher is to actually teach and sometimes that takes a little imagination. I just think something is off, but it could be the kids, but usually you can capture that imagination when you really try.

Quote Originally Posted by Poohtz;2925388;
    These kids don't go to public school, so I would think the class size may be smaller. Part of being a teacher is to actually teach and sometimes that takes a little imagination. I just think something is off, but it could be the kids, but usually you can capture that imagination when you really try.
    Additionally, this particular episode was major product placement for Sylvan Learning Centers, not that that is a bad thing, I'm sure they do a wonderful job. However, some of the remarks that we heard from the boys may have been incumbent to the theme of the show and the publicity for Sylvan.
    Susan

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Elizabeth;2925584;
    Additionally, this particular episode was major product placement for Sylvan Learning Centers, not that that is a bad thing, I'm sure they do a wonderful job. However, some of the remarks that we heard from the boys may have been incumbent to the theme of the show and the publicity for Sylvan.
    Did you notice that Amy said it wouldn't cost that much to send the kids to Sylvan? I don't know what they charge, but I have a friend who sent her daughter and she said it was very very expensive, she also said it didn't do her daughter a bit of good. I also had a friend who was going to teach for Sylvan, they were going to pay her $8.00 an hour and she would work 2 to 2 1/2 hours a night. Now days that barely covers the gas. So if they are charging a lot, it sure isn't going to the teachers. So I'm not really sure what to think of Sylvan. I do hope it helps the boys though.

+ Reply to Thread