+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Little People, Big World

Re: Little People, Big World

Personally I think he got off easy and he knows it and I don't think he really learned anything. I think the Judges mumbo jumbo about the 77% whatever was just that - -mumbo jumbo I think he did not want Matt in jail because they really don't have facilities that could accomodate him. What happened to the jury anyway? - I missed part...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

One of the jury members broke the rules given by the judge. The juror did their own research on the internet on the various sobriety tests that could have been administered to Matt. The jurors were specifically instructed by the judge not to do this. So, the trial could have been called a mis-trial which meant that he would have to wait several months and go through the whole process again. The other option was to have the judge decide the verdict given the evidence at the trial and only at the trial. Matt went with the judge because he did not want to go through another trial.

FORT Fogey

He lost his license for one year. I think that was enough.

Quote Originally Posted by PugMum;2838741;
    He lost his license for one year. I think that was enough.
    I don't. He had a prior DUI arrest and was driving a vehicle he was not equipped to handle. If he had nothing to hide, he should have taken the test. I find him pompous. How ironic that he thought his son having an earring was an embarassment to the family. I agree that's much worse than dragging your family through a public trial for DUI.
    CYA

I agree. I don't really think he learned anything from this. I think he probably was drunk or at least inebriated. Sometimes I really find him to be pompous too! I thought it was just me. Everyone else around seems to love him and thinks they're such great parents. I think they're good, but not so.. perfect.

Looks like we have lots of judges in here. I don't know the facts any better then anyone that has only seen the 10 or so minutes of court that were included in the show.

Things to consider are:
    1) How exactly do you give a field sobriety test to someone that has major issues walking already? According to the judge they are only like 77% accurate for normal people, what is the percentage for someone on crutches that can barely walk? Not to mention, unless the officer watched the show, he has no idea of what Matt walks like if he is totally sober vs. has had to much.
    2) Matt supposedly refused the breath test with the one officer, but requested another officer give it. Yeah refusing a breath test the way he did it automatically gets your license suspended but how hard would it have been to get another officer to give the test? Yeah it may be a delaying tactic but if the situation was a heated as Matt claims, you might not have trusted the officer in that situation either.

Yes, Matt could have really been DUI. But without being at the trial, it is hard to say either way. As Amy said in the episode, usually when people hear you were stopped for it you usually become assumed guilty in the court of public opinion without a trial.

Hopefully if he was drinking enough to have a DUI, this woke him up enough not to drive that way in the future.

Honestly I think he at least felt innocent enough to allow the cameras to be present. Would you allow cameras from a cable network access if you thought there was a good chance you would be found guilty?
    Last edited by marauder; 03-13-2008 at 10:49 AM.

I don't doubt he had very little choice as to whether or not he allowed the cameras in. Afterall something like that does make for good ratings. Maybe that's being jugemental, but I just don't get the sense that anything was learned from the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2839863;
    I don't doubt he had very little choice as to whether or not he allowed the cameras in. Afterall something like that does make for good ratings.
    If you ever watched the credits, Matt has producer credits on the show. In interviews he has said that he has input into what in shown and how things are shown. If they didn't want the crew there, Amy wouldn't have been giving interviews during the trial.

FORT Fanatic

I think if he was as innocent as he claims his story would have stayed the same (last Monday he was at a friend's house and had a beer, this Monday he testified he had a beer at home then went out) and he would have requested a conclusive test to prove his innocence. Like a blood test. His whole defence was the officer was unfair - then request a new officer and do the tests!

Quote Originally Posted by marauder;2839780;
    Looks like we have lots of judges in here. I don't know the facts any better then anyone that has only seen the 10 or so minutes of court that were included in the show.

Things to consider are:
    1) How exactly do you give a field sobriety test to someone that has major issues walking already? According to the judge they are only like 77% accurate for normal people, what is the percentage for someone on crutches that can barely walk? Not to mention, unless the officer watched the show, he has no idea of what Matt walks like if he is totally sober vs. has had to much.
    2) Matt supposedly refused the breath test with the one officer, but requested another officer give it. Yeah refusing a breath test the way he did it automatically gets your license suspended but how hard would it have been to get another officer to give the test? Yeah it may be a delaying tactic but if the situation was a heated as Matt claims, you might not have trusted the officer in that situation either.

Yes, Matt could have really been DUI. But without being at the trial, it is hard to say either way. As Amy said in the episode, usually when people hear you were stopped for it you usually become assumed guilty in the court of public opinion without a trial.

Hopefully if he was drinking enough to have a DUI, this woke him up enough not to drive that way in the future.

Honestly I think he at least felt innocent enough to allow the cameras to be present. Would you allow cameras from a cable network access if you thought there was a good chance you would be found guilty?
    I think he was incredibly lucky. At least he lost his license for a year. Let's see if he abides by that. Yes he is a very self centered man. If you counted the number of "I's" and "Me's" he uses during the course of one episode, you'd see what I meant. Everything has to be centered around him. And the way they treat Jacob is terrible, he's like the kid they didn't want. Wont TLC pay for a cleaning crew to come in and get that place in shape, or maybe Matt could stop buying expensive "toys" and pay himself. He needs exercise, so he puts in a $30,000 pool, Hey Matt how about a $500 exercise machine?

+ Reply to Thread