+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Supernanny Discussion Thread

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

Re: Supernanny Discussion Thread

When I posted, I had just started watching so I was mortified. SO glad that they were able to stop the paddling and hitting. I felt so bad for those little kids. That mom was hitting them HARD! I couldn't believe what she said about how she didn't even like her daughter and wanted her out of the house! Hopefully it will better!
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3819743;
    This is why some churches scare me. Some people just follow, blindly, along in the church's footsteps instead of using their own discretion. Of course, maybe it is their discretion to follow along. I've seen some pretty heinous crimes committed against children under a church's directions.
    Ya, I think they need to change churches. This church probably has an entire congregation paddling and then hugging their kiddos.........ugh. Soooo wrong on so many levels.

I thought that Dad's of Triplets Club that Jo hooked the dad up was awesome.
    KAREN

8/2/64 until forever! AZChristian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3819725;
    You know, if hitting worked, you'd only have to do it once or twice. You wouldn't have to keep resorting to it because it was sooo effective! Common sense, people!

And the mother kept saying, "Trust and believe," after she banged her children. Sounds like a church phrase, to me! Scary!
    She was saying "Trust and Obey." It's an old-fashioned hymn sung in their denomination. I used to be a member. USED to be. I was mortified at some of what they said, especially that they had learned this in a church parenting class. And the dad is a professor at one of the universities affiliated with the denomination. Sort of makes you wonder what kind of education the students are getting, if the profs are that clueless.
    Warning . . . I have a black belt in Facebook, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Thanks for the correction. If you don't mind, exactly what religion is this? What university?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3820208;
    Thanks for the correction. If you don't mind, exactly what religion is this? What university?
    Would rather not say . . . it's a smaller, still very conservative denomination. I still communicate with a lot of people who attend their churches.

I am confused why a parent allows their church to "parent" their children.

It should come from the parents own heart and soul and mind on how to raise their kiddos.

It is just so disturbing to me that a church is telling young parents to PADDLE THEIR CHILDREN WITH A WOODEN SPOON and then QUICKLY HUG THEM AND TELL THEM THAT THEY LOVE THEM AFTER HITTING THEM..........how the heck does ANY OF THAT make any sense. Come on, people.
    KAREN

FORT Fogey

If you were a three year old, and you did something wrong, and your parents hit you, then told you they loved you, what kind of message does that give you about your action? About your parents? None, because you're totally confused.

Sounds cult-ish, to me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3820857;
    Sounds cult-ish, to me.
    Actually, not. Just still very VERY conservative in a lot of ways, and struggling a bit with the new generation's call to be less rules oriented and more genuinely love oriented. That's why I was so surprised to see the Mann's more rules-based original discipline methods. That's not the way I see the younger generations of the denomination acting, generally speaking.

I guess I don't like the idea of following without thinking/questioning.

+ Reply to Thread