+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Supernanny Discussion Thread

Re: Supernanny Discussion Thread

My husband & I watched this episode and he kept slinking further and further into his chair.

He has a hard time letting our daughter fall asleep in her own crib--she's just 2yo. He wants to hold her until she falls asleep, then put her in the crib. But once I explained that our little one needs to learn to calm down on her own to learn she has that control of her body, he agreed to try and only after 2 nights did she fall asleep with no crying (I thought for sure it'd take longer than that). We talked about it at dinner and she just looked so proud of herself for calming herself with her blanket & tiger. When parents over-do for their kids, they're really taking that self-pride away from their kids.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

And when parents overdo for their children, it's more about the parent, and not so much the child. I have a sister like that; she seriously blocked her daughter's maturity by overdoing. It is so important that our children learn that they can do things on their own, and get our beaming approval for their accomplishments.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Taken to the extreme, the "leave-em-sit-and-cry" technique can actually be quite psychologically damaging. Clearly, Snowbird, your daughter was totally ready, or she wouldn't have had such an easy time of it. However, it's a lot harder for kids who sleep in bed with their parents, or in the same room. Ideally, a child sleeps with his/or her parents for a limited time only, and then moves on to a crib, while a parent still rocks them to sleep. That makes a transition to falling asleep on their own much, much easier. I'm not saying that a kid should sleep with their parents until they want out, but I am saying that going from sleeping in with parents immediately to sleeping in a whole other room by themselves and putting themselves to sleep can be difficult.

Imagine being a child. One of your fears of sleeping in your own room is that no one will hear you if you need something, because you still mainly rely on crying. Now, imagine if your parent, the first night, takes the Nanny's relatively cold approach - your worst fears are confirmed.

Tears,
    No, I totally hear you. I have an identical twin, so I never had to sleep alone so I feel like a bit like a hypocrite.

But I left out, for brevity's sake, a few points. Her crib is still in our room because of space/temperature issues where we live, so she wasn't forced to go "cold turkey". Also, she will fall asleep on her own when I'm in the room. Only when my husband is in the room, will she insist on being held until she falls asleep. I knew she could do it--because she does it when I'm there. She only cried for 3 minutes for 2 nights. She was ready to make that first step. Eventually, when we move and she's had time to adjust, I'd like to see her go to her own room, but I have a cousin who's 11 and still doesn't sleep in her own room.

Children really do need to learn to calm themselves if they're going to function. Parents may have an idea of how they want to raise a child but then may find the need to adjust that idea in their minds, depending on the personality/temperament of their children. It's frustrating as a parent to constantly hear conflicting stories/theories about discipline/development. I just want to be as supportive as I can, but allow her to do as much age-appropriate tasks as she can handle.

Last night, I felt that the couple was not going to stay together. The Dad seems to want to try different things, the woman seemed like she was always ready for a fight

Let the Wild Rumpus begin JustJuls's Avatar

That woman pissed me off. The fact that she couldn't see beyond spanking her kids. Why would you WANT to hurt them, especially if there is someone there ready & willing to teach you an alternative...THAT WORKS. I hope she sticks with it. Something tells me she won't.
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

It's almost painful to watch what is going on in these houses! How did kids get so out of control? Biting, hitting, swearing, spitting? And one thing that is (probably intentionally) not addressed is where do these kids learn these behaviors?

I actually wonder how long any of the methods work. It seems Jo is there for such a short time, and these children have been acting like brats their entire lives - and the parents have, too. Is one week (or however long this goes on) really going to change anything? I doubt it. It seems like the "naughty bench" or "naught stair" is just a game to these kids. They laugh about it, then are conditioned that when they say "sorry" they can join the rest of the chaos in the house. (Can I just mention that when a child gets to the point where they have to remove the binky/passie/what have you from their mouths to speak - it's time to get rid of it!)

One bonus: I am incredibly grateful for the children and grandchildren I have in my life.

J.D. - I need to agree with your post and add that my Mother tried watching one of these episodes and got so mad she changed the channel, with the comment : IF YOU BEGIN teaching and saying no and disciplining when the chils is born, you generally don't have these problems. - back to my post: Since "reality" tv is scripted, is it possible that a lot of this is "hey kids you get to act really bratty" and that some of these kids are not half as bad as we see it?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey

I'm always amazed with the families who have several young children, all of them completely out of control, and the parents are clueless. Why did they have so many kids if they're not interested in doing the hard work to parent them? Did they think just having them would be enough and the kids would figure out how to behave without any discipline from them?

It's also mind-boggling when the clueless parent tries to defend or argues about what they've been doing (or not doing) for discipline. Obviously it hasn't worked since the kids are out of control and they were so desperate they needed help from Jo!

Some of the kids who have been on this show have been little monsters and I can't believe they were transformed by Jo's brief interaction with them. Changing behavior takes time, and the commitment from the parents to stick with it when the going gets tough. While some of the parents on the show seemed to have the determination to change, I've had doubts about others.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

gabriel, I see that your mother and I have the same idea about children. I swear, no matter how cute they may be, it's best to start looking at these little gherkins as pre-teens from the moment you meet them! Letting them get away with bad behaviors is doing them a disservice and setting up your household for trouble. It gets harder, not easier. I am a huge fan of the word, "No!"...we are not friends.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread