+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Supernanny Discussion Thread

Re: Supernanny Discussion Thread

I watched it while checking out the FORT, so I missed how old those boys were.

Many times I kept thinking how I would hate to be their neighbors!

I missed last nights also. I hope to catch both of these episodes in rerun land.

Last night's episode wasn't all that unusual. Spoiled, screeching kids who won't go to bed, behave appropriately, and too many toys that need to be donated/tossed were the major themes. It took place in NYC in a crowded apartment. The place was stuffed with 4 strollers, toys everywhere, etc. What was good about the show tonight was how Jo showed the parents how to talk to their older son about his extreme crying. I see that at schools sometime when I substitute teach.
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Wasn't that something?? 4 strollers, and neither of the boys needed a stroller!! Now, I thought that these kids were even over the top from the normal spoiled, screeching kids. This was obscene. I'm pretty sure that the parents of the parents would even come to visit. These parents made their children absolutely m-i-s-e-r-a-b-l-e! Why was that older child ever even allowed to even reach the total maniac stage that he exhibited??
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think they also said that they had two or thee strollers in their car!

I really wonder if that boy has some sort of neurological disorder. The clueless parents probably would never think to have him tested.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3339173;
    Well - some people collect beer cans, knicknacks, salt and pepper shakers, etc., maybe these people collect strollers.

We never saw the car, but from the looks of the tiny apartment, I think you are right, Gabriel!

One of them was a stroller that they no longer used, but since she loved it so much when she HAD used it, she didn't want to get rid of it. So it just sat there in the apt! Duh! She really had a hard time giving it up. Eventually dropped it off at Salvation Army, and felt good about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3339173;

I really wonder if that boy has some sort of neurological disorder. The clueless parents probably would never think to have him tested.
    No. He's just bratty. I was very much like that when I was a kid and my parents had no clue what to do with me. They tried spanking and that didn't work. They tried timeouts which actually worked but they weren't consistent enough with it. I turned out OK but I still have trouble controlling my temper sometimes . My parents feel really guilty about the spanking and wish that they had found more creative ways to handle me but I had teenage brothers at the time that were causing even worse problems with their attitudes and were drinking, smoking and doing drugs so my parents were a bit overwhelmed at the time. And maybe my behavior was just attention getting or because of the tension my brothers were causing. Anyway, I highly doubt that it's a neurological disorder and even if it was, I think that's probably pretty rare. I think we are too quick to diagnose ADD these days and drug our children to the point where they're walking zombies.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

Quote Originally Posted by stacerace;3342454;
    No. He's just bratty. I was very much like that when I was a kid and my parents had no clue what to do with me. They tried spanking and that didn't work. They tried timeouts which actually worked but they weren't consistent enough with it. I turned out OK but I still have trouble controlling my temper sometimes . My parents feel really guilty about the spanking and wish that they had found more creative ways to handle me but I had teenage brothers at the time that were causing even worse problems with their attitudes and were drinking, smoking and doing drugs so my parents were a bit overwhelmed at the time. And maybe my behavior was just attention getting or because of the tension my brothers were causing. Anyway, I highly doubt that it's a neurological disorder and even if it was, I think that's probably pretty rare. I think we are too quick to diagnose ADD these days and drug our children to the point where they're walking zombies.
    We probably won't know either way. There are lots of things out there, including a kid being a brat. There is neurological disorders, sensory integration issues, and so on.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

His parents need to give true parenting a chance first. They have put work ahead of their children from the day that they've come into the world, so it sounds. Kids don't raise themselves, and I saw them crying out for that which mom and dad hadn't given them. Can't help but wonder how the parents, themselves, were raised. We usually pass along that which we have learned.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread