+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Supernanny Discussion Thread

Re: Supernanny Discussion Thread

Those poor boys! I don't understand how a parent can leave children behind. Who's going to raise the boys now? The same mother that was part of the dad's painful childhood? Egads. Where was the boys' mom? I missed this episode of SN so I'm not familiar with this story.

A high school friend's mom killed herself and her kids were never the same. It's all so sad and tragic.
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

My heart aches for those poor boys. Their life will never be the same. Very, very sad

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I remember that the mother of the boys did not appear on the show, nor do I remember her even being mentioned. The boys were portrayed as real hellions (through no fault of their own), and I remember thinking that I bet she left with the "YOU keep these bad-A kids!" attitude. Usually, it's the dad that gets out, but not this time. I, like all of you, wonder what happens now? These children are going to be difficult, no matter what or whom, but now they've got dad's suicide to deal with. Good grief. Don't children of people who commit suicide have a higher chance of doing the same thing? Whether we want to admit it or not, children do take their behavior cues from us.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Hopefully Nanny Jo might come back to help put plans or routines in place for whomever takes on their care, as she says at the end of the shows, she will keep in touch or want updates...with this type of extreme, I hope she might help.

I'm going to bump this thread after watching the Costello family. I do hope Dad stays sober, and Mom gets the wanting 12 kids thing out of her head. It was nice to see the 15 year old boy getting time to be himself and the older girl having he fun time with Mom. I seemed to miss rules etc., but was the cause of all the chaos due to dads drinking? Having the son being a parent to the little ones seemed to go from because of dad being gone driving truck all the time to because of dads drinking?

I didn't get to catch it last night - but it's on my TIVO. Will post after I watch it, this one has me quite intrigued.

After growing up with an alcoholic father, I can't imagine anyone wanting to have 12 kids with one. She said at the end that things were better now but that she thought for awhile that she may have to take the kids and go. And yet all along she talked of wanting more children, to the point where she admitted that she doesn't use birth control.

I was glad to see that the older kids got a bit of a break. I hope the father can stay sober, because he seemed like a good dad otherwise.

The didn't seem to show much about Jo trying to change the younger kids behavior though. I know the one boy especially, seemed like a real brat that needed to be taken in hand. Maybe its just that there were so many things going on that it all couldn't be covered in only one hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;3309287;
    Maybe its just that there were so many things going on that it all couldn't be covered in only one hour.

This would be a good one for multiple episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;3308812;
    I'm going to bump this thread after watching the Costello family. I do hope Dad stays sober, and Mom gets the wanting 12 kids thing out of her head. It was nice to see the 15 year old boy getting time to be himself and the older girl having he fun time with Mom. I seemed to miss rules etc., but was the cause of all the chaos due to dads drinking? Having the son being a parent to the little ones seemed to go from because of dad being gone driving truck all the time to because of dads drinking?
    My personal theory: Dad wasn't always a drinker. I think as the household grew, he couldn't handle the chaos, got depressed, started drinking more and more. They stressed that the mom didn't like leaving him alone with the kids. I think the 15 year old had both the pressures of dealing with mom being a single parent when dad was away, and not getting any relief since dad drank when he came home and was unreliable. I don't think I saw that dad smile more than one time. I really hope he continues to go to meetings and stay sober since he seemed like a good guy otherwise. I think mom needs to get a grip and stop having kids. Why would she even want to with an unstable husband? She had an unusual fixation with the number 12. I wonder what she thought would happen after kid number 12...nirvana ? More kids will definitely not help in his recovery.

I was really impressed with that 15 year old. He is such a nice boy and wise beyond his years. Again, he just seemed sad to me.

I think the chaos was due in part to the dad's drinking. When they showed him taking an active part, things went more smoothly. My impression is that it wouldn't be unusual for dad to be passed out somewhere. He just reined it in for the cameras.

Win Together, Die Alone JustJuls's Avatar

I couldn't believe she wanted to have two more children in the state that the family was in. Hopefully that dream of hers has been put aside. I felt so bad for those older kids (kinda reminds me of the Duggars). I was so happy that they finally got time to be kids again. I hope it sticks! And I hope dad gets help!
    When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, the World will know Peace

+ Reply to Thread