+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: Supernanny Discussion Thread

FORT Fogey

Re: Supernanny Discussion Thread

yesterday was quiet something. I was shocked at how young the mom was and she had 7 kids just to please her husband and even broke ties with her gay father just to please her husband. her kids were i believe 8, 7, 6, 4,3, 1, 6months

How does a person go from being a high-schooler that wants NO children to the mother of 7 kids in such a short timespan? Also, I am wondering where they found the time/energy to have more children after say, child number 4? Just curious about the way that would work...

FORT Fogey

The mom was quick to anger. As thin as she was I wanted Jo to tell her to EAT!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

With 7 children, when does she have time to eat...and even if she does eat, she will burn it off dealing with all of those busy children.

I can't help but wonder if she will ever get around to figuring out who she really is, outside of being a mother. I actually feel sorry for her.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I thought it was something that Jo actually had to gather up the neighborhood women and introduce the mom to them. Had she never met them before? How long have they lived there?

What did the husband do for a living? They seemed to live in a nice enough house (that was an impressive kitchen!).

I think maybe the husband was ultra-Christian and believes that homosexuality is a sin.....as is birth control!

Overall, for such a young couple with so many kids, they didn't show any problems with getting the kids off to bed at night. The oldest girl took all those chores pretty well too. I found it hard to believe that she was only 8 years old! The biggest problem they seemed to have was with the boy with the ADHD. Glad Jo got them to realize that they weren't devoting enough time to calming him down and dealing with his issues.

My parents had 7 kids within 9-1/2 years (back in the 50s and 60s) so I could relate to all those kids. But my mom had a "mother's helper" in the afternoons. She was a high school girl who stopped in after school on weekdays for two hours. In that time, mom got a bit of a break which she definitely needed. Mom would go over the homework situation with the school-aged ones while the teen would mind the little ones. Mom could also get dinner going while she was there. She was a godsend! Mom still keeps in touch with her, even though the "baby" is now in his mid-forties!

This mom could definitely use some "me time" and a little extra help...be it from the husband or from outside the family.

For some reason, Andrea Yates keeps coming to mind. I"m thinking this is how things may have started downhill for her.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2829248;
    For some reason, Andrea Yates keeps coming to mind. I"m thinking this is how things may have started downhill for her.
    it is so freakingly scary but i kept thinking Andrea yates during the whole show.

don't you guys think she is scare of her husband?

Did anyone see that one of the single dads that was on this show suicided this within the past week or two? He was raising his two boys alone, and didn't give them any discipline at all since he says he was disciplined to an extreme when he was coming up. His name was Scott Terrill. Sad circumstances, to say the least. He, apparently, was dealing with chronic back for multiple years, too.

Lessons Derived From A Tragedy

GEORGETOWN — A Georgetown man struggled for years, battling a painful spine injury and fighting to obtain Social Security benefits. He even reached out to a television reality show, hoping to be a better dad to his two sons.

Friday night, his struggle ended in a Georgetown cemetery. Scott Terrill died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the chest after a 90-minute standoff with police.

Terrill carried ”a lot of emotional baggage from the past,“ said Dwayne Russell, pastor of Safe Harbor Baptist Fellowship in Georgetown, who will officiate at his funeral.

Despite those trials, Terrill was a dedicated father, Russell said. His appearance on a Supernanny episode that first aired in January showed his ”desire to be a better dad.“

Terrill, 37, suffered from reflex sympathetic dystrophy since an accident about five years ago, said his mother, Margaret Ng.

The disorder causes sufferers to feel continuous, intense pain out of proportion to the severity of the injury, which gets worse rather than better over time. There is no cure.

Terrill had tried getting a job to work from home, but he could only sit up only a certain amount of hours of the day, Ng said.

”It might not have looked like it on the TV, but he could not get up for more than a couple hours a day because of the RSD,“ she said.

The Supernanny episode featuring Terrill first aired on Jan. 23. Terrill said he had struggled to set boundaries for his sons, Lane and Tate, who were 11 and 5 at the time, because of his own harsh childhood.

In an attempt to avoid repeating the past, Terrill went to the other extreme, where he could not set discipline in his home.

Terrill later became the mascot for the show’s ”Foxy Dad of the Year“ competition.

Ng said Terrill went camping with his sons and was also involved with his eldest son’s soccer and his children’s schooling.

”He was a loving father with a big heart,“ Ng said.

On Friday, Terrill called Georgetown police about 6:50 p.m., Capt. Scott Starns said Monday. He told police he was thinking of killing himself and had a gun.

Terrill asked to speak to Police Chief Greg Reeves, and told him he was at his father’s grave at the Georgetown Cemetery.

Officers went to the cemetery, blocking off the scene and evacuating some of the houses nearby.

As he talked to officers, Terrill had a .38-caliber handgun pressed to his chest the whole time, Starns said.

”About an hour and a half into this whole scenario, they thought progress was being made, and he just abruptly squeezed the trigger,“ Starns said.

Scott County Coroner John Goble pronounced Terrill dead at Georgetown Community Hospital about 9 p.m.

FORT Fanatic

I had seen that and it is really sad. I feel bad for the kids.

I know I saw that show. I hadn't heard about the suicide though. What a tragedy. I can't remember if the mother(s?) was involved in the boys' lives. Do you know? Those poor boys having to deal with something like this at such a young age. Heartbreaking.

+ Reply to Thread