+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 69 123456789101151 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Intervention (A&E)

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar

Intervention (A&E)

Did anyone watch this show on A&E? It was pretty interesting and pretty sad.
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Yes, I taped this show; it was as you said, fairly interesting, but I've seen tons of addicts before. I wish they had shown some of what actually goes on inside the rehab facility, instead of one minute she's a drug addict and in the next frame she's been clean 180 days; I'm sure there was a much bigger story in the treatment. I feel that the producers spent too much time showing that girl getting high. Unfortunately a lot of us have seen way too much of that crap in real life.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

I TiVoed this episode but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I'm really becoming a fan of A & E. I love Airline and Fmaily Plots.

So, is it just the drug intervention or do they do other interventions?
    "They want you to do a TV show?"
    "Well, they want me to come up with an idea. I don't have any ideas."
    "C'mon, how hard is that? Look at all the junk that's on TV."
    - George and Jerry, in "The Pitch"

Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    Yes, I taped this show; it was as you said, fairly interesting, but I've seen tons of addicts before. I wish they had shown some of what actually goes on inside the rehab facility, instead of one minute she's a drug addict and in the next frame she's been clean 180 days; I'm sure there was a much bigger story in the treatment. I feel that the producers spent too much time showing that girl getting high. Unfortunately a lot of us have seen way too much of that crap in real life.
    Exactly, QB. It was depressing, but I'm glad they both got clean. It hits a little too close to home, so I'm looking forward to next week's show a little more, with the compulsive gambler and shopper. Especially when the gambler guy freaks out. Should be interesting.

I really wanted to see more of what happens inside the rehab place, too. I can understand the privacy issues and all, but I'd have liked to have seen a counselor address some of the addiction issues and detox info. It's definitely a cringeworthy show ... ugh, watching the once-beautiful/intelligent girl smoking crack, stealing her dying father's morphine made my stomach turn.

But gotta give it to A&E for coming up with quite original ideas. I especially like the documentary style to the show.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Anybody catch this show last night? It was definitely interesting. I was hoping they would show Gabe after he was "clean." His personality while he was knee-deep in gambling was hard to handle. I felt terribly sorry for his parents, who he thought was obligated to take care of him for his entire life. I wondered if he still had those same views after counseling.

Hi there, realornot!

Wasn't Gabe ridiculous? It was impossible for me and my husband to feel any kind of sympathy or compassion for this guy. What a jerk! Shame on his parents for creating this monster! He needs a good kick in the teeth When he was assaulting his mom in her car, the cameraman should have thought of putting the camera down and stepping in. He was out of control! That whiney voice, his childlike tantrums ... I think that child prodigy thing really stunted his maturity. Sometimes it's not such a wonderful thing when a child develops intellectually. It seemed to have made him socially retarded, instead. His parents have enabled him far too long. I'm glad they cut him off from his hotel room (but paying $600/wk. for him was a stupid thing to do, too!) but watching him sleep in his Mercedes while wearing his fancy pants (and what the hell was up with him wearing his cellphone headset 24/7? :rolleyes) it was clear he hadn't truly hit rock bottom yet. Then childishly threatening to kill himself during the intervention? Jerk! Now that the show is over, I'm so glad I won't have to see and hear that commercial again of his whiney little voice "You're forcing me to get on a plane, and I don't even have all my stuff packed ..." yada, yada. Ergh! (Wait, isn't "all your stuff" in the back of your Mercedes?) My dislike of this creep is overflowing! I had a feeling his treatment wouldn't help. I hope his parents stay strong and don't give in. Can you imagine being one of his counselors?

I loved Vanessa! I remember her from Stand and Deliver (I never watched ER, though, so I don't remember her from her three seasons on that) but she's such a sweet little thing, my heart broke for her. What a shame that her insurance company booted her from the in-treatment counseling after only a month, though. Didn't the Intervention folks pay for Tommy and Alyson's treatment in the first episode? I don't understand that. At least she seems to have really sweet, supportive friends. Watching her lay in bed for hours on end, doing the home-shopping thing, wasting away to nothing, so very tragic. I really wish her all the best!

Next week is cutting. Ick!
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

He was definitely ridiculous. I wondered if he changed much after the treatment... although it said he only stayed for a couple of weeks. I doubt he could have changed that much. I would hate being around this guy. You're right, too, his voice is grating! I would love to know how his parents treated him when he was younger... I need to make sure my children do not even come close to turning out like this guy! I would like to keep my house. I just about died last night when he said that when you make the decision to bring a child into this world, you should take care of them for rest of their life. WHAT? How many people would have kids if that were truly the case. You raise your kids so you can see them become nice, responsible adults... and then they bring your grandbabies around.

I did feel bad for Vanessa. She really seemed to want the help but didn't quite know what to do. She should be thankful she has good friends that were willing to help her. I can't imagine that Gabe will have friends for too much longer.

Not sure if I'll be able to stomach next week's cutting episode. I have a weak stomach and I cringed when they showed the preview for it.

On another note... any clue what the song was that they used in the promos for the first show? I liked the sound of it, but had never heard it. I'd love to find the song somewhere.

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    I TIVOed the episode with Gabe and Vanessa and havent watched it yet. My hubby did and said that Gabe was so irritating he wanted to reach thru the TV and slap him.!
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar
    i've spent the past six years doing administrative work in a substance abuse program and this show really has me intrigued. this is one of the best "reality" shows i've seen in a long time .... i'm definately hooked.

Well Tallulahbaby, your husband was right on the money. This guy will make you want to start abusing something! He struck me as the only one of the four they've shown so far that REALLY needed the intervention with serious ultimatums. The others just seemed like they were ready to go, they just needed someone to give them a little nudge. This guy wanted some s*** in writing before he committed to anything. Hard to see someone who had so much promise turn into what he has turned into. I felt terrible for those affected by his actions.

And, barefootdyke, I'm hooked on this show as well. Nervous about next week, though... cutting... that could be hard to watch.
    Last edited by JR.; 03-15-2005 at 08:24 PM. Reason: language

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 69 123456789101151 ... LastLast