+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 69 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Intervention (A&E)

Wow, as a psychology major in college, I loved this show. I had never seen a woman drink so much beer in my life! (Or a guy for that matter, at least all day like Cristine did...wow.) I was so glad that both women agreed to get help. Do they always? Do they ever turn down the help? (This is the first time I've watched.)

I'll definitely add this one to my list of must-see TV! I do wish they'd just focus on one individual per show and do more on the treatment and follow-up like 6 months later to make sure they stay clean, though - that's my only small complaint.

~Emily

Dani Filth is My Hero undertakeress's Avatar
    Well, Gabe (the psycho gambler that has been talked about here) went to rehab but then checked out a few days later ( I think) I've missed a few episodes so I don't know about those
    I <3 Cradle of Filth

FORT Fan
    Yes. people have refused to get the treatment on this show. I don't remember what her addiction was, but I remember one lady who refused to go for the treatment and her family and boyfriend basically backed down from what they told her the consequences would be if she refused. In a way this bothers me more than the refusal because it lets the addict know who's really in charge of the situation. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reality_emily
    Wow, as a psychology major in college, I loved this show. I had never seen a woman drink so much beer in my life! (Or a guy for that matter, at least all day like Cristine did...wow.) I was so glad that both women agreed to get help. Do they always? Do they ever turn down the help? (This is the first time I've watched.)
    They don't all go for help, though most will at least go initially. Some end up going and leaving after only a short time. I think the only one to flat-out refuse so far was the gambler, Alissa (I think that's her name). She was horrible to watch and her family just about sent me into screaming fits.

I was very happy for the women in the past episode. I felt so bad for Christine as she was talking about her father's molestation and she said "DOn't blame my parents for my drinking. They were great parents." I turned to my husband and said "Not so much, really." No offense to the mom, but the father actually spent time in jail for what he did to her so there was either an admission of guilt or enough evidence to prove he did it. I hope she's received some help to help her cope with what he did to her. And the shooting rampage by her brother-in-law. So sad. I can't imagine having to deal with all that. I'd probably drink too.
    "They want you to do a TV show?"
    "Well, they want me to come up with an idea. I don't have any ideas."
    "C'mon, how hard is that? Look at all the junk that's on TV."
    - George and Jerry, in "The Pitch"

I like it when they have shows that were only about one person, most of them do have two. I don't like it when they keep going back and forth between the two people during the intervention it's self. With all the people in the room I get lost sometimes. (Of course I am usely balanceing my checkbook, folding laundry, etc. while I watch).

I would be very interested to see the people during rehab. Maybe they could have some interviews to find out how they are doing without disrupting the rehab process. It would be interesting to follow up on the family as a whole to see how different their lives are without all the disruptions of having the addict around.
    Last edited by Nike7; 06-07-2005 at 06:18 PM.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by realornot
    I was very happy for the women in the past episode. I felt so bad for Christine as she was talking about her father's molestation and she said "DOn't blame my parents for my drinking. They were great parents." I turned to my husband and said "Not so much, really." No offense to the mom, but the father actually spent time in jail for what he did to her so there was either an admission of guilt or enough evidence to prove he did it. I hope she's received some help to help her cope with what he did to her. And the shooting rampage by her brother-in-law. So sad. I can't imagine having to deal with all that. I'd probably drink too.

That poor Christine - her parents have most likely drilled into her head how none of this is their problem, when clearly it is. She has really been dealt a rotten hand of cards. When it's all added up - the molestation, the shootings, dad in prison and mom in denial....yeah, I'd probably be having myself a cocktail, too. It seems, however, that no matter how bad her day had been or how much she had to drink, she was a loving mother to her boy. (to the extent possible) I loved her husband. He was trying so hard to do the right thing for her...he just didn't know how. She's young enough that hopefully she will land on her feet and be able to start over.

Did anyone watch tonights? It was very sad all the way around. It's not quite over but neither person wanted the help and walked out. How did that guy think he was going to take care of his dog if they did give it to him? He couldn't even walk past the dog in the car. I wonder why the parents didn't have the dog at home instead of in a kennel? And the man abandoning his wife dying of cancer. Way too sad. I just don't understand why he abandoned her like that. He wouldn't even call her. He had a lot of rage and I'm guessing that's from the cancer attacking her. These people had me in tears tonight. Especially when that guy saw his dog. I can't imagine giving up my dog like that.
    Edited: The show is over and they both agreed to get treatment. The minute the alcoholic got out of treatment(60 days), he went to the store to get a beer. He met up with his girlfriend from the streets and took his dog. Very sad.
    The man addicted to pain medication completed 55 days of treatment. He had his morphine pump removed. He had had seven back surgeries in the past. He still won't talk to his dying wife. He said she left him. She pretty much has to die alone now. Addiction is a horrible thing.
    Last edited by agamergirl; 06-13-2005 at 12:01 AM.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Oh yeah, I definitely watched. Never miss it.

Mark is so selfish - his wife is sooo sick - and I don't think he even notices. He's so wrapped up in getting high - I mean he's taking some pretty hefty doses of pretty hefty drugs. I know he's in pain, but sometimes that's just the way it is. He's got a morphine pump inside him and is taking 240 mg of oxycontin - Nobody can be in that much pain, can they? There comes a point where more drugs just can't help. I think he's wayyy past that point. I just can't imagine any one doctor prescribing that much oxy for anyone.

He seems to be walking just fine on his way out, after limping in all hunched over. He claims that the rehab helped him realize how mean he was before. Then he bad-mouths his wife like that. Sometimes I just want to shake these people. (Like that would help.)

I can't stand how these families financially support these people. He's got a freakin' cell phone! What the hell is that about? Eww he and his girlfriend are so filthy! I swear I can smell them from here. He seems to have completely given up on life. He won't be alive much longer - that is so sad.

Still - it's a really good show - I'll keep watching.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    I can't stand how these families financially support these people. He's got a freakin' cell phone! What the hell is that about? Eww he and his girlfriend are so filthy! I swear I can smell them from here. He seems to have completely given up on life. He won't be alive much longer - that is so sad.
    That can't be his cell phone. I assumed it belonged to the producers of the show. I mean, the guy was selling a chair he found in the dump to get some beer. I would imagine, if he owned a cell phone, he'd sell that as well. Who knows? With the families on this show, I don't know that anything would really shock me anymore. I think Kelly's story is a great example of how NOT to treat to learning disabled students. Thankfullly they mainstream kids much better today. (They do, don't they? I hope.)

Not sure what to think of Mark. Angry. Mean. Unpleasant. Sad wife. It's horrible that when she needed him most, he wasn't around. And now, I can only imagine how bad her health is, and he still won't talk to her. He should be ashamed.
    "They want you to do a TV show?"
    "Well, they want me to come up with an idea. I don't have any ideas."
    "C'mon, how hard is that? Look at all the junk that's on TV."
    - George and Jerry, in "The Pitch"

Yeah, these were both terribly sad stories. I am really glad Mark came clean (and yes, he seemed to be walking and even running just fine when he was escaping the intervention, which just proved that his pain was all in his head!), but it's too bad that he couldn't reconcile with his wife and help her in her dealing with cancer. That is just wrong. She really needed him, and he just couldn't give.

The drunk guy (have already forgotten his name): I am glad that he loves his dog, but what kind of a home can he give the dog; he is homeless! I am amazed he stayed in treatment as long as he did, but that must have been what they made him do to get the dog back. Funny, when he left the treatment center, he still looked crazy and drunk just like before, even before taking a drink. His girlfriend was horrible - her hair?!? Ohmigosh - I just can't imagine. No bathing - just awful. Where do they get their beer money?! They were begging for it at one point so maybe that's always how they did it. I just can't imagine a smart kid like that becoming a bum. He won't live long, and what will happen to that poor dog. Very, very sad....

+ Reply to Thread