+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1454555657585960616263646566676869 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Intervention (A&E)

FORT Fanatic

Re: Intervention (A&E)

Oh, dear. I had quit watching this series because it was so depressing, but I couldn't sleep last night and watched several episodes. One woman was so proud of her 90-day award for being sober and then resumed drinking the next week, I believe. What a bummer.

Seems like they don't wait long enough to do their report - it's good if someone has been sober and/or drug-free for 3 months, but how about 6 months out? Or 9 months? Or are the statistics so poor they don't want to advertise all the failures?

What tears me up is what it does to the entire family. Last night a young woman had her two children with her in the apartment, and their father had to come and take them. She went out to bars drinking at night. Months later, she still doesn't have the children, refused to go to rehab, and now is in jail on DUI.

How do people manage to get to rehab multiple times? Who pays for that?

A lot of the time treatment is paid for by tax dollars.
    There's no place like home!

I think there are some county substance abuse programs that are based on income, but most are private and quite expensive. When the reps on Intervention say they are offering a free gift to go to treatment, they aren't kidding. It is quite an expensive gift.

Most are covered by health insurance but there are restrictions as to how much they will cover. My brother went to a private facility twice. Thank God he's been clean for 2 years! He was a able to take a month of medical leave to attend rehab. It saved his life.

FORT Fogey

Addiction is tough and identifying when society should step in and help and when an addict needs to walk the talk on his/her own is not at all clear.

####

Humans are in such great need of emotional and physical releases that to overcome any kind of addiction is an amazing thing.

It's hard for me to be negative about those who don't make it.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3955014;
    I think there are some county substance abuse programs that are based on income, but most are private and quite expensive. When the reps on Intervention say they are offering a free gift to go to treatment, they aren't kidding. It is quite an expensive gift.

Most are covered by health insurance but there are restrictions as to how much they will cover. My brother went to a private facility twice. Thank God he's been clean for 2 years! He was a able to take a month of medical leave to attend rehab. It saved his life.
    I have a relative who went to a private treatment center and NONE of it was covered by insurance. I know a man who went to one also for alcoholism- none of it covered. I don't know what insurance you know that is covering this- but once *drug and or alcohol* is listed- insurance won't touch it.

Just saw the episode where the father went to rehab and then found out he had advanced cancer. The little boy in this was so mature - incredible 'I'm glad he died a dad and not an alcoholic'. Wow. Just wow.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Quote Originally Posted by Mikesgal;3964514;
    I have a relative who went to a private treatment center and NONE of it was covered by insurance. I know a man who went to one also for alcoholism- none of it covered. I don't know what insurance you know that is covering this- but once *drug and or alcohol* is listed- insurance won't touch it.
    I don't know who the carrier was, but I know they paid it. I didn't see the invoice, but I know he had no money to speak of and they took him immediately both times. I also recall my parents talking about his health insurance. I guess it's possible my parents paid it and told me it was covered by insurance. Hmmmm. Oh well, I'm just glad he's in recovery.

I just moved from Newport Beach to San Deigo. There are quite a few number of the rehab places in the OC and SD. Laguna Beach, Newport Beach, La Jolla ... as there is always ad's in our local papers for the different facilities. I think having the peace of the ocean and the sunny beautiful weather is very healing to those in need.

But I am sure betting it is very costly if you do not have any insurance.
    KAREN

Yes, my brother went to one near a NC beach, although it's not near the water and didn't look like a luxury resort when I visited.

I notice that on Intervention they often take the patient to another state for treatment. Is that to discourage them from walking out of the place and hitch hiking home or what?

yes, and to seperate them from the dealers, friends, and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;3968198;
    I notice that on Intervention they often take the patient to another state for treatment. Is that to discourage them from walking out of the place and hitch hiking home or what?

+ Reply to Thread