+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 69 FirstFirst ... 8484950515253545556575859606162636465666768 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Intervention (A&E)

Re: Intervention (A&E)

for some reason my dvr did not record this episode. i hope it's avail on the website.

I also agree about showing the ugly side of detox. I do think it would have a much greater impact on young teens who might be watching the show. On the other hand, I do like that they try to show what led up to the behavior. It wasn't that these people just one day decided to become addicts, there was usually something else going on. While I felt bad for both of these boys, I was especially disturbed by Marcel. Whenever they showed him in interview segments, it was like he wasn't present in his own body. There was no light in his eyes and his tongue was practically falling out his mouth most of the time. So sad.

These parents were clearly loving people, but they were loving their boys to death by enabling their behavior. If the younger one is at home taking Xanax now, it is probably only a matter of time before he reverts back to doing other drugs and dealing also. They should not be tolerating drug use of any kind in their home!! Especially the father, he seemed to have an endless capacity for denial. Does this man realize that they could lose everything by allowing their children to deal drugs out of their home?? Not to mention the danger that they could all be facing if another addict breaks into their home again looking for drugs!! I felt so terrible for the older brother who was trying to help and was basically kicked out of the house in favor of his manipulating addict of a brother. I truly hope that Sebastian is able to complete his more recent rehab trip and influence his younger brother in a positive manner this time to help him get healthy also!!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

I noticed when Marcel drifted off at that point - his eyes glazed over and his tongue fell out of his mouth - I sort of wondered if he died right at that moment. I have no doubt he doesn't remember any of it.

I have a hard time understanding why the parents don't see what is going on with their own kids. It's as though they only see the younger two - and that they don't even acknowledge the older son - the only one in the house who sees what is really going on. And is there any other family around? Just speaking from my point of view - my family (for good or bad) is all up in each other's business, and if one of us kids (myself, two brothers, and all of our assorted kids and grandkids...) is in some sort of trouble - there will be an uprising. Certainly not immediately, we want to give each other a chance to get our own sh** together, but hopefully before any reasl damage is done. And if my family didn't butt in if I were doing something that stupid, I hope someone would step up. So far they have.

By no means am I saying we have the best family, we've had our issues with drinkin' and druggin' ourselves, but we all have each others' best interests in mind.

/being preachy

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3671688;
    ...And is there any other family around? Just speaking from my point of view - my family (for good or bad) is all up in each other's business, and if one of us kids (myself, two brothers, and all of our assorted kids and grandkids...) is in some sort of trouble - there will be an uprising.
    That is actually a good point, because the story implied they had a huge family. They showed scenes with aunts/uncles/cousins and mentioned that there were 40-something cousins in the family. There was one cousin who appeared throughout the show and was at the intervention that really seemed to have it together and knew what was going on. It would be nice if the older brother and that cousin could mobilize the rest of the family. Maybe the aunts and uncles could have a stronger impact on the parents? Hard to say since there is just so much that we don't know from the little bit we get to see on the show...

I wanted to slap those boys AND their parents which I know was the wrong response when dealing with addicts and their enablers. Wonder if mom made good on her threat to move back to Chile.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ EJ;3673023;
    I wanted to slap those boys AND their parents which I know was the wrong response when dealing with addicts and their enablers. Wonder if mom made good on her threat to move back to Chile.
    You and me both! Maybe I'm cold and heartless but I don't ever feel very bad for the addicts. They did it to themselves. I always feel more sorry for the families and I felt REALLY SORRY for the oldest son! I couldn't believe how the dad wouldn't listen to him while trying to cater to Sebastian!

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion

Quote Originally Posted by tvaholic;3673043;
    You and me both! Maybe I'm cold and heartless but I don't ever feel very bad for the addicts. They did it to themselves. I always feel more sorry for the families and I felt REALLY SORRY for the oldest son! I couldn't believe how the dad wouldn't listen to him while trying to cater to Sebastian!
    I actually wonder if the users even want sympathy. They seem to resent it. Of course their thinking is skewed, but it seems they'd rather be alone and use - and basically numb themselves. It's the families who are watching and feeling the pain.

Obviously, we are not going to solve this, but I'd sure like to understand the dynamics better.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.;3673057;
    I actually wonder if the users even want sympathy. They seem to resent it. Of course their thinking is skewed, but it seems they'd rather be alone and use - and basically numb themselves. It's the families who are watching and feeling the pain.

Obviously, we are not going to solve this, but I'd sure like to understand the dynamics better.
    Just as long as it's not one of my loved ones that I'm understanding it from! No, those boys didn't seem to want sympathy but remember when the mom was questioning Marcel about the car outside. Marcel said "Mom, I'm an addict" kinda like he wanted her to feel sorry for him just long enough to leave him alone.

How could the parents not have known the boys were dealing drugs out of their house? Where did they think the boys were getting the money from to buy drugs when they weren't stealing from them?

I wanted to slap that mom when she was looking out the window at her son doing a drug deal saying "oh, I don't think they are selling drugs...". What an idiot.

They need to kick the one who is doing xanax out of the house, he will most likely drag his brother down the same path with him unfortunately.

I can't watch this show anymore. It makes me mad. IDIOTS.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread