+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 68 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Intervention (A&E)

Just watched my first episode last night. It was the one with Gabe (gambler) and Vanessa (shopper). This is definitely a different type of reality show. It reminds me of its earlier ancestors. About real people handling real issues. (ala Real World first season) Reminded me of why I first fell in love. I found myself routing and feeling for everyone. Although I didn't not like Gabe at all , I rooted for him because I felt for his his family.

Was the Gabe/Vanessa episode the first one? I *think* I'm caught up on these now despite missing them at first.

Holy mackeral, I was having a hard time with watching Gabe! I'd have so loved to crawl thru my tv and stuck my foot where the sun don't shine while watching him. It's one thing to have a severe problem and be out of control, but something else to be having out and out temper tantrums at his age. I hope for his family's sake that he really is out in the clear and not gambling now, his mother just seemed so fragile after all she's gone through. He's really got some strange ideas with parenting when he was thinking that the parents should ALWAYS do EVERYTHING for their children, that would only be the case if that child is doing for themselves and still needed help (in my book), which apparently he wasn't doing. Wow, just wow...hopefully with the little treatment he actually took he can make something out of this entire thing.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Woosh. I like this show - this one is definitely reality. I think tonight's show (meth user/rock star and crack addict/Matt) was different from the previous shows in that there wasn't so much blame placed on the users. I was really getting aggravated at the parents/friends/families of the users on past shows for trying to "guilt" them out of using. I just don't see how blame can work. I hope both these boys survive. Is "Rock Star"'s story a lesson to the celebrity mill that maybe a boat-load of cash isn't the best thing for these kids after all? What else is a 16-year-old going to do with millions of dollars - regardless of whether he's a musician, athlete or actor?

I'm loving this show, too. It's compelling to observe the life of these folks. The kid (not the rocker) certainly had his family wrapped around his finger. Granted my 18 y.o. daughter is not an addict, but to 'allow' him to live at home, with no responsibilities, seems absurd to me. I do understand it must be tough to stop providing for these wayward sons/daughters, but I honestly don't think I could not insist they do SOMETHING to contribute to the household. He didn't even put his own dishes in the sink after being fed a meal, and then they go on to say he has stolen so much from them? I guess that's the actual definition of 'enabler'. They were not doing him any favors, but I'm glad they finally got help for him, and I hope he sticks with it.

The rocker guy certainly makes using meth look unappealing. The way he was always tweaking and scratching, it looks like you would feel awful.

I think these shows should be shown to middle school kids as some kind of teaching tool. Maybe if kids were shown the reality of being a drug addict, it might prevent someone from going down the same path.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Just got done watching last night's show. I felt for the woman who had a child with the meth user, Travis. Heartbreaking to watch. I was very impressed with all the producer did to get him into rehab. He (the producer) really has no stake in seeing him go... I mean, if you think about it in terms of the show, it makes it intersting either way -- whether he goes or doesn't go -- so I thought it was admirable that he was doing all he could to get him on the plane. "Man, I'll carry your luggage for you. We only have to walk one time."

I can really get behind a show like this. It's real. It's not padded with "feel good" or "showy" scenes -- it's graphic, you might say. And it seems like it can do some good. Show families/friends that are dealing with loved ones who are addicted that there is hope out there.
    "They want you to do a TV show?"
    "Well, they want me to come up with an idea. I don't have any ideas."
    "C'mon, how hard is that? Look at all the junk that's on TV."
    - George and Jerry, in "The Pitch"

I strongly agree with both of you, roses and realornot.

Of all the meth/coke users shown on previous episodes, this week's show was the one, IMO, which came closest to showing how a tweaker looks and acts. Previous users have looked "nourished" (for lack of a better word) and cared for.

Meth kills a person's appetite, along with all those other nasty behaviors. It also showed the instant transformation of a person (Matt, in this case) the minute he gets that crack in his system.

The rocker guy certainly makes using meth look unappealing. The way he was always tweaking and scratching, it looks like you would feel awful.
    It does feel awful, in fact what they showed isn't nearly as ugly as what I assume they left on the cutting room floor. They didn't show someone who has been awake for 72 hours, sitting on the corner of the bed, eyes as big as saucers, with three locks on the inside of the bedroom door waiting for whomever is on the other side of the door to come crashing in. Some things are too harsh even for a reality show, even on the topic here.

As most people here have noticed, I'm pretty much an open book. Lord knows I've had my struggles with drugs of all kinds. Nearly all illegal ones and some prescriptions also.

By the way, I have been clean since 1987 - after really hitting bottom. Waking up one morning in my trash bin of an apartment with my brother standing over me taking my pulse was enough to convince me I had a big problem. I'll admit I've slipped a couple of times, but even a dabble here and there has been enough to scare me straight.

/end rambling

Awww, J.D., I'm sorry to hear you know how bad they made it look. I appreciate the hard work it must have taken to get well, and I wish you continued good luck with your struggle. I'm very proud of you.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

Thanks J. D. for sharing your real-life testimony. for you and I give you kudos for your 18 Yr? sobriety.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    I watched sunday at 2 by mistake, i happen to have Travis' cd.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Thanks! Y'all are always so nice to me. I just wanted to share my experience with you here to show that as bad as these poor kids look, they do stand a good chance for recovery. I figure if I can do it, and stick to it, anyone can. (I'm not the strongest person out there when it comes to willpower.) However, I have removed myself from the situation, even from the city where I experienced my downfall. I think that is one important step. And after all these years, I don't have any intention or desire to go back. Besides, I'm a grandma now, and that is the best high anyone could ever experience. Who would want to mess that up?

+ Reply to Thread