+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 69 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Intervention (A&E)

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
    How do these people not catch a clue that they are on this show. EVERY show has them spelll their names in the first few minutes. That to me would be a dead give away. I am a recovering addict and watch the show every week. They have to know... Heidi, do you have any opinion on this, or anyone else for that matter...
    What does having the spell thier names have to do with knowing they are on the show? They *think* they are doing a documentary on their addiction.
    I wonder how they find these people to ask them to do a documentary?

Maybe they've never seen the show before. There are several TV shows on now that I haven't even heard of.

FORT Newbie

My Intervention

HI ALL,

I HAD NO IDEA THAT THIS WAS AN INTERVENTION, I HAD NEVER WATCHED THE SHOW. I APPLIED FOR THIS MYSELF, THERE WAS AN AD IN THE PAPER STATING THAT A NEW REALITY SHOW/DOCUMENTARY WAS LOOKING FOR PEOPLE WITH AN ADDICTION, I KNOW I HAD A SHOPPING ADDICTION SO I WROTE TO THEM, THEY CALLED AND SENT A CAMERA TEAM TO FILM A TEST FILM, THEY LIKED MY STORY, SO THEN WITHIN A WEEK THEY BEGAN FILMING, WHEN I ASKED THEM WHAT SHOW, THEY SAID A REALITY SHOW, SO I WENT WITH IT. MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS KNEW BUT I DIDNT. I DID THIS SHOW BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WOULD HELP OTHERS WITH THE SAME ADDICTION AND ALSO I WOULD BENEFIT FROM IT BY TALKING ABOUT MY PROBLEM, A KIND OF THERAPY. SO WHEN I WALKED IN THAT ROOM FOR THE INTERVENTION I WAS SHELL SHOCKED TO SAY THE LEAST!! AND FOR THE RECORD I DID NOT LEAVE THE CENTER AMA I SIGNED UP FOR 31 DAYS WHICH I COMPLETED, HOWEVER MY THERAPIST WANTED ME TO STAY 2 MORE WEEKS, AS I WAS THERE FIRST SHOPPING ADDICTION PERSON AND IT WOULD HAVE BEHOOVED THEM FOR ME TO STAY 2 MORE WEEKS SO THEY COULD STUDY MY TREATMENT PLAN. I KNEW IN MY HEART I WAS READY AFTER 31 DAYS, AS THE TREATMENT PLAN CONSISTED OF ABOUT 12 HOURS OF THERAPY A DAYS AS WELL AS EMDR TREATMENT WHICH IS EYEMOVEMENT DESENSATION THERAPY, WHICH PROCESESS BAD EXPERIENCES INTO THE CORRECT SIDE OF THE BRAIN, FABULOUS!!! AS FOR MY FRIEND KARIN, NOT SPEAKING WITH ME BECAUSE SHE DOESNT BELIEVE THAT I HAVE RECOVERED, THAT IS A TOTAL FALSEHOOD, SHE IS NOT SPEAKING TO ME OVER A PERSONAL MATTER, I AM STILL SHOCKED THAT SHE LIED!! HOWEVER ON THE FOLLOW UP SHOW THIS WILL BE CLEARED UP, AS WELL AS THE FACT THAT I SEE 2 THERAPISTS A WEEK STILL AND I HAVE NOT USED A CREDIT CARD SINCE SEPTEMBER 30, 2005, AND AM TAKING CARE OF MY LEGAL ISSUES AS WELL. I UNDERSTAND THAT 31 DAYS IN THERAPY DOES NOT CURE YOU! IT IS A DAILY THING YOU WORK ON, WHICH I AM. HOWEVER I AM SO GREATFUL AND THANKFUL THAT I DID THIS SHOW AND WENT INTO THERAPY IT HELPED ME MORE THAN I COULD EVER SAY.

THANKS ALL OF YOU FOR READING THIS LOOOOOOONG COMMENT

HEIDI

FORT Fan
    Thanks for responding Heidi. Has the therapy helped with the deeper issues of why you are a shopping addict to begin with? It seemed like the intervention lady was hitting on that point a lot- like your shopping was one thing in your life YOU can control, or rather, have a say in, whereas the incident when you were 16 left you feeling like you had no control. (which you didn't).
    Your mother had me crying- loved her to death.
    Can you tell us how your legal issues are coming along? Do you think you will end up in prison?
    Do you work?
    And...you are beautiful the way you are- stop the plastic surgery insanity!!
    Do you know when they will be doing the follow up?

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by CallieCutie View Post
    Did anyone see 2 weeks ago's episode?

The guy was a male model, and a meth addict and sex addict. He was also gay. He had spelt with over 500 people... and has only used a condom twice!!

HOLY COW!!! I about puked when I saw that!
    I saw that one. I felt sorry for Brian. I believe he is how he is because of the people around him. His mother tries to be too nosy and does not give him any privacy. The father does not seem to love his son, and I suspect that is because Brian is gay and he is homophobic, that must be hard on the poor guy. His boyfriend on the particular show, Derek I think it was, tried to be too controling and tell Brian what to do all the time. The people around him have probably made him what he has become.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyboy26 View Post
    I saw that one. I felt sorry for Brian. I believe he is how he is because of the people around him. His mother tries to be too nosy and does not give him any privacy. The father does not seem to love his son, and I suspect that is because Brian is gay and he is homophobic, that must be hard on the poor guy. His boyfriend on the particular show, Derek I think it was, tried to be too controling and tell Brian what to do all the time. The people around him have probably made him what he has become.
    I think Brian is old enough to make his own choices. I HATE the blame game. "I do drugs and sleep around because my dad doesn't love me, my mom is too nosy, my boyfriend is too controlling" To that, I say BS! I didn't feel sorry for him one bit and blaming others around him is a cop out. Plus, he was many miles away for quite a long time, and he was still using drugs and sleeping around.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbell View Post
    I think Brian is old enough to make his own choices. I HATE the blame game. "I do drugs and sleep around because my dad doesn't love me, my mom is too nosy, my boyfriend is too controlling" To that, I say BS! I didn't feel sorry for him one bit and blaming others around him is a cop out. Plus, he was many miles away for quite a long time, and he was still using drugs and sleeping around.
    Ok he was still in the wrong, but it still must be hard to have a nagging mother, a father who doesnt give a s$it about you, and a controlling boyfriend. When you feel alone, and that you cant feel comfortable turning to anybody for support, you often can feel the need to turn to other things. When I felt that way a few years ago I turned to fast food, which wasnt as bad atleast.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyboy26 View Post
    Ok he was still in the wrong, but it still must be hard to have a nagging mother, a father who doesnt give a s$it about you, and a controlling boyfriend. When you feel alone, and that you cant feel comfortable turning to anybody for support, you often can feel the need to turn to other things. When I felt that way a few years ago I turned to fast food, which wasnt as bad atleast.
    I think it's easy both to feel bad and to be upset with people with addictive behaviors, especially if you're someone who struggles with impulses as well. (I know I have my own struggles.)

It's never as clear cut as the addicted person being totally at fault or totally a victim.

People become addicted because they're hurting or missing something they feel they need in order to live. Sometimes this is because someone else has been hurtful or negligent towards them, instigating the pain. Sometimes it's because the addict has unrealistic expectations over what life should feel like.

Ultimately, the addict takes the "easy" way out -- sometimes even when they know other options exist, other times simply because they don't know what else to do to fix the pain. Every addict, while you can describe them similarly in terms of general behavior, is still different in the details and the internal motivations.

In the end, we're each stuck with ourselves: We have to make the ultimate decision for ourselves about whether or not we'll change... or at least will try to change. We can't control what happens to us, or what other people do to us, but ultimately we make the decision over what we're going to do about it (or ask for help, if we don't think we can do it alone).

Even innocent victims, if they won't come out of their shells of pain and self-protection, can destroy themselves and those around them. In the end, it's still their choice over whether or not they'll try to improve their lives.

It's a hard show to watch sometimes, it's very intense and painful.

Is anyone watching this show anymore? I caught the episode the other night with the drug addict who was a singer/producer. I think his name was Tim. I could be wrong though.

His girlfriend really bothered me. She seems like a caring girl and all, but I wonder how long their relationship would last once he's better. She even admitted that she likes to be a healer. When there isn't anything left to fix, will she still be as in love with him? I don't mean to sound cruel, because I'm sure it is/was hard for her to deal with an addicted boyfriend. But it was almost as if she "enjoyed' it... that's probalby not the right word. I was really disappointed to see at the end of the show that she didn't go to treatment. She should deal with her issues.
    "They want you to do a TV show?"
    "Well, they want me to come up with an idea. I don't have any ideas."
    "C'mon, how hard is that? Look at all the junk that's on TV."
    - George and Jerry, in "The Pitch"

FORT Fan
    I'm still watching!

This show was hard. At times I felt that Tim was all for the drama - like when he took off through the swamp and hid in the drainpipe until the producer came and got him. Of course maybe attention-seeking is part of being a cocaine user. I have no clue.

As the the girlfriend and her family, I wanted to slap them all upside the head. If my daughter ever got involved with someone like this I certainly wouldn't encourage the relationship and allow her to be abused like Madyson. Nor would I allow someone in my house who was so volatile.

The entire episode had me upset. And then that follow-up: Madyson refused counselling for herself. Aaaaargh!!!

+ Reply to Thread