+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 69 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666 ... LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Intervention (A&E)

Quote Originally Posted by Unbridled
    Realornot, why did the video game addict strike you as creepy?
    I don't know if I can answer that simply or not. It was just the vibe. I do agree with you, though... his mother is the mother of all mothers! Good lord, she was mixed up. He had an "I'll kill you with a pistol" look on his face when she was trying to hug him after he agreed to go. I think he really hates her. I hope he was able to work through some of that hatred.

You know... one of the creepy things about him was the fact that he never opened his mouth when he talked. Like he was acting cool or something. Odd.

I guess you got a totally different read on him than I did. You did make some good points, though. The guy has issues. Who knows what he would think of me if he met me!
    "They want you to do a TV show?"
    "Well, they want me to come up with an idea. I don't have any ideas."
    "C'mon, how hard is that? Look at all the junk that's on TV."
    - George and Jerry, in "The Pitch"

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Naturally, I'm no expert. But I'm seeing two different kinds of people here. I'm seeing addicts (chemical or otherwise) and then the ones who have psychological or behavioral problems. I don't see the similarity between someone who drinks to excess every day, or someone else who is a "rageaholic". I don't see where the two behaviors are coming from the same part of the brain. I don't think Michael from last night wakes up in the morning wondering how he will find a way to become violent, like the addicts' first (and sometimes only) thought is how they are going to score that day.

I hope this is clear. Can someone here help me understand this? I mean...can someone "detox" from a behavior like gambling or raging?

I love the show - I usually watch it both times it's on. I'm just confused, that's all.

FORT Newbie
    I'm new... just like this show a lot! I haven't seen all of them yet; I wish they had reruns during the week. What other times is it on? I've only seen it at 10 on Sundays.

I really didn't get why Randi's mom hated her boyfriend so much. Wierd. Especially since the mom had left for years and only recently come back into her daughters' lives. Also... did anyone else catch who they didn't want to be part of the show? Was it Randi's father or her son's father?

Whatever happened to the woman who was addicted to painkillers? That was a good one...

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    ...But I'm seeing two different kinds of people here. I'm seeing addicts (chemical or otherwise) and then the ones who have psychological or behavioral problems...

...I mean...can someone "detox" from a behavior like gambling or raging?
    I'm not an expert either but I think that people that gamble, rage, etc do it because it causes a rush that alters their brain chemistry. It's exciting to yell and hit and it's exciting to think "I'm winning this time, I'm gonna win, I almost won, I have to try again, I can do it this time." I think it's that brain chemistry tweak that they get hooked on. The rush is similar to a drug in the system and they look forward to it and have a hard time handling life without it.

I don't think they really "detox". I think they just learn not to need that rush.

Does that make any sense or do you all think am wayyyyy off?

Can anyone out there enlighten us?

Quote Originally Posted by emily13
    did anyone else catch who they didn't want to be part of the show? Was it Randi's father or her son's father? Whatever happened to the woman who was addicted to painkillers? That was a good one...
    I think it was Randi's father they didn't want there, not the son's father. (Athough, honestly, they probably didn't want him there as well.)

As far as the lady addicted to painkillers... they are having an update show soon, so maybe they'll enlighten us as to how she is doing.

By the way, emily13, welcome to the FoRT... and Nike, welcome to you as well -- I know you've been around this thread a few times, but I've never really said hello. Good to hear your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by J.D.
    Can someone here help me understand this?
    I used to be a bartender. Does that qualify me?

It would be intersting to get a professional opinion on the classifications with addictions. I see what you are saying. It has to be different for someone who gets a thrill from rage and someone who is addicted to drugs/drinking. I would show my ignorance far too much if I tried to explain what I thought the differences are. So, I'll just wait for some bored doctor/therapist to wander over to the FoRT and explain it.

Quote Originally Posted by realornot
    This was a frustrating episode. Rageaholic? Or just a punk? You can tell he likes to fight, but is he really addicted to it?

And in Randy's pre-intervention? Why was there such hatred toward the boyfriend? It would have been nice to hear a little more about why they didn't want him involved. The mom seemed to just hate him. There's has to be more to the story than just the fact that he's "attracted to a meth addict." (as mom put it, I believe)
    I believe they asked the boyfriend to leave for the following reason: I have seen this in people I have met, that have been sober for any length of time and the boyfriend of course was going to put his story out there telling Randi what worked for him, why he was sober, what she could do etc., etc. The interventionist(?) even said this is about Randi not you. Sometimes people that achieve sobriety tend to put themselves in an "expert" type of position. If I remember correctly it was even in the show as to why he was asked to leave. If you watched closely in the living room at his house when she was going off a bit, he was acting more a professional counselor than her boyfriend, and that I think the mother sees through and is suspicious of this. If he were allowed to stay and tell his story it would be about him and if by chance she sobered up, he would I guarantee it, project himself as the one who helped her become sober, when in fact only the addicted can sober themselves.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

I don't know if I can answer that simply or not. It was just the vibe. I do agree with you, though... his mother is the mother of all mothers! Good lord, she was mixed up. He had an "I'll kill you with a pistol" look on his face when she was trying to hug him after he agreed to go. I think he really hates her. I hope he was able to work through some of that hatred.

You know... one of the creepy things about him was the fact that he never opened his mouth when he talked. Like he was acting cool or something. Odd.

I guess you got a totally different read on him than I did. You did make some good points, though. The guy has issues. Who knows what he would think of me if he met me!
    I noticed that look he gave his mother, too. And then she had the nerve of complaining that he never says he loves her. Judging from the expression on his face when she's around, she ought to thank her lucky stars he hasn't throttled her.

I think I was inclined to sympathize with him because of the childhood trauma. And the way he carried himself spoke of a total lack of self-esteem; though I'm not sure about the closed-mouth talking. And the way he cried when his friend gave the ultimatum was sort of an "awww" moment for me. But I don't know him either, so who knows? He might be a creep and I just was blinded by pity.

You kinda gotta wonder why the dad didn't get rid of the game systems in his absence, though. I mean...you wouldn't leave a case of Bud in an alcoholic's house when they came back from rehab would you? That was just too big a temptation. Though, really, I think a smarter approach at the Intervention would have been to address his overall mental state rather than his obsession with video games. Otherwise it's just like treating the symptom (hours on his butt playing Xbox) and not the disease (clinical depression). Just my opinion.

Does A&E ever rerun "Intervention" through the week? I missed Sunday's ep and would like to see it. But I haven't seen it listed on any night but Sunday.

By the way, emily13, welcome to the FoRT... and Nike, welcome to you as well -- I know you've been around this thread a few times, but I've never really said hello. Good to hear your comments.
    Thanx for the welcome. I really like this show and I don't know anyone else that watches so I enjoy the discussion.
    When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbridled
    ...I think a smarter approach at the Intervention would have been to address his overall mental state rather than his obsession with video games. Otherwise it's just like treating the symptom (hours on his butt playing Xbox) and not the disease (clinical depression). Just my opinion.
    Good point. Another reason that I wish they could show the person going through rehab, that way we could see what was addressed and how. I wonder what he did at rehab for 40 days and why it didn't take?

It looked like he was totally cut off emotionally from his mother. How could he not be when she just left him like that? I bet he's really hurt.

Maybe if he hung out with the rage-o-holic they could rub off on each other and make one normal person.

I couldn't believe he played that one dancing game for 24 hours 15 minutes and was still keeping the pace at the end!
    When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

+ Reply to Thread