+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The Oscars

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    Did Antonio dunk his head in a bucket before this performance?
    <--really

omg he was AWFUL and that slapping his leg thing! ugh!! Carlos is thee man!!
    Antonio? just HORRID.
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl
    It appears that I'm in the minority, but I thought tonight's Oscars was the best one in years. No cheesy montages and beyond the best song nominees, no insipid production numbers. It was a good year on the songs too, since there was for once no Sting or Phil Collins. The honorary award presentations were short. That Jack Valenti guy is gone. Chris Rock was great, and kept it moving, and in my opinion far better than Billy Crystal and Robin Williams could hope to be. The Carson tribute was a nice touch as well. And best of all, it was done in three hours. The only wierdness was Sean Penn proving once again that he has absolutely no sense of humor and shouldn't be allowed in public. Even Tim Robbins had the sense to at least laugh on camera at Chris Rock's jibe at his political activism.

But that's just my opinion...likesay, clearly in the minority.
    I read in the site rules something about not copying and pasting and putting a "yeah that smilie"
    I can't recall if it said not to or, just add something if you do. I think it was the latter. So, I'll say YEAH THAT to your whole post.
    And I'll add, someone needs to take a net to Julia Roberts when she gets on that stage :rolleyes
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

Another Morgan Freeman fan here. I LOVE THAT MAN! Shawshank Redemption is one of my top 10 favorite movies, and that's specifically because of his performance.

I thought Chris Rock was okay. I love David Letterman, and I thought he was terrible when he hosted, so I think it's a difficult show to host. My all-time favorites are still Johnny Carson and Billy Crystal, though.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I forgot it was on and was watching ESPN's Dream Job instead!

Well, at least I got everything starting with Best Actress award. No surprises this year in the results, but Catalina Sandino Moreno looked smokin'!

I didn't get Sean Penn's reference to Chris Rock, was he offended by one his jokes or something? :rolleyes I personally love Rock's sense of humor, he's not afraid to step on toes and he doesn't conform to some guidelines, he's just being himself. Sean Penn sucks, I thought he hated coming to the Academy Awards anyways!

Edit: Reading through this thread, I'm guessing Rock did not do as well as I hoped. Oh well, its not like this will make or break his career.
    Last edited by Mrs Cwebb; 02-28-2005 at 12:12 PM.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    I thought it was funny that beyonce performed 3 times and still lost. How wonderful.
    I lvoed chris rock, im glad for Morgan, hilary and Jaime most of all.

Last night hilary proved to me that history does tend to repeat it self. I just wonder if for the next 5 yrs she's going to encounter a bunch of duds for films.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Hilary's dress i thought i would hate at first since it's super covered up in the front only to finish with an open back. Now that's a plunging back.
    I liked Renee's dress as well.
    I noticed that Jenn garner wasn't there unless i missed that part and im glad Zeta jones wasn't there either. Cant stand her.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me

Well, my predictions for Oscar wins pretty much sucked. But at least I did pick the right winners for Best Director and Best Picture (not to mention a couple of others) though. :rolleyes

Memorable moments:

Morgan Freeman - totally classy acceptance speech. Kudos.
    Hilary Swank - obnoxious and windy once again. HATE HER.
    Scarlett Johanssen - what was up with her arms swinging like pendulums on caffeine? Jeezus. Pretty girl, but she always looks so uncomfortable.
    Antonio Bandaras - Oh god. I bet Santana had cotton plugged into his ears. The winner of Best Song looked like he wanted to kill the guy, and actually made a point to sing the song right durig his acceptance speech.
    Beyonce, Beyonce, Beyonce - kill me now. Watching her mangle the song for Les Choristes with her atrocious French accent...*shudder*
    Sean Penn - stick up the you-know-where. Old bastard.
    Jaime Foxx - great speech, but basically a rehash of his one for GGs.
    Charlie Kaufman - ahaHAHAH. Can we say "deer in the headlights"? V. v. glad he won. Totally deserving of it.

I bet I'm in the minority in saying that Chris Rock as host was a total dud. Almost rivals the Letterman fiasco...almost.

Can't believe Scorcese was shut out. AGAIN. (Susan Lucci of The Oscars, here we come.) Those earlier awards to The Aviator for Art Direction or what not were totally inadequate consolation prizes.

Another note - the pacing for the show had all the finesse of a martinet conducting ballet. Geez. Give those poor Costume Makeup persons and Documentary people (Born into Brothels a total heartbreaker, btw) their brief moments in the sun, why don't you? Don't relegate them to the lesser stages. They're not lesser mortals.

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    Now this is what I think sucks.... for some awards they are going to have all nominees on the stage. Hopefully they don't do this for any of the actors/actresses awards.

I absolutely abhorred this format.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    Sean Penn is currently filming All The King's Men with Jude Law, so he probably felt compelled to say something. It feels good to know that Sean had to sit around for two plus hours all angry..... well, angrier than usual.

I thought Chris Rock would have been funnier, but he was decent. I prefer the host's opening monologue to be more about last year's films. Billy and Whoopi are great at that, and they're one-liners throughout the show are better because they have a quicker wit. Billy's musical parodies of the top films are well written (most of the time), and the songs he chooses often has a whimsical correlation to the film's theme or subject matter. The fact that he can't sing doesn't bother me.

What's up with boxing movies? Isn't Million Dollar Baby just Rocky in a sports bra?

There are so many great boxing movies: Rocky, Raging Bull, Requiem for a Heavyweight, Ali - you'ld think that micro-genre should have been tapped out by now. I guess not.

Now, before you vigorously defend the movie, I'll say I haven't seen it, AND that it looks like an EXCELLENT MOVIE. One that I would enjoy.

[conspiracy] I guess when now know the power of Time Warner [/conspiracy]
    Last edited by SQUATMAN; 02-28-2005 at 01:49 PM.

Lucy and Kevin...so cute! Reality tv fan's Avatar
    I sort of had a feeling Hillary Swank would win.....I really like her and think she deserved to win, very talented actress. I also liked her dress, very unique, and showed of her body beautifully....the back was awesome!! I didn't like her hair style too much a bit too severe....

I was a bit disappointed Leonardo Dicaprio didn't win for Best actor for The Aviator and Martin Scorsese for Best director

+ Reply to Thread