+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: The Oscars

You get what you vote for Y2Kevbug11's Avatar
    Oprah pissed me off anyway. Her dumbass movie is pre-empting Desperate Housewives.

I must say that I thought Chris Rock was horrible and very offensive. This was an awards show not a forum for him to spew his opinions. He was hired to HOST a show . Kudos to Sean Penn for standing up to the Jude Law comments that Mr. Rockhead made in the beginning.
    I watch the acadamy awards every year but if they ever have this ass host again then I would rather watch paint dry.
    IMO
    A cat changes coming home to an empty house to coming home

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    It appears that I'm in the minority, but I thought tonight's Oscars was the best one in years. No cheesy montages and beyond the best song nominees, no insipid production numbers. It was a good year on the songs too, since there was for once no Sting or Phil Collins. The honorary award presentations were short. That Jack Valenti guy is gone. Chris Rock was great, and kept it moving, and in my opinion far better than Billy Crystal and Robin Williams could hope to be. The Carson tribute was a nice touch as well. And best of all, it was done in three hours. The only wierdness was Sean Penn proving once again that he has absolutely no sense of humor and shouldn't be allowed in public. Even Tim Robbins had the sense to at least laugh on camera at Chris Rock's jibe at his political activism.

But that's just my opinion...likesay, clearly in the minority.

What did Beyonce sing? I love her!

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl
    It appears that I'm in the minority, but I thought tonight's Oscars was the best one in years. No cheesy montages and beyond the best song nominees, no insipid production numbers. It was a good year on the songs too, since there was for once no Sting or Phil Collins. The honorary award presentations were short. That Jack Valenti guy is gone. Chris Rock was great, and kept it moving, and in my opinion far better than Billy Crystal and Robin Williams could hope to be. The Carson tribute was a nice touch as well. And best of all, it was done in three hours. The only wierdness was Sean Penn proving once again that he has absolutely no sense of humor and shouldn't be allowed in public. Even Tim Robbins had the sense to at least laugh on camera at Chris Rock's jibe at his political activism.

Finally! I've been reading this thread and wondering if anyone else liked Chris Rock! Yay PhoneGrrrl

YES! Toby McGuire (sp!) is just a boy in tights! Nice that someone finally said it.

I never liked Billy Crystal - I hate how he thinks he is so funny. Those tedious musical numbers are the worst part of the show when he hosts. That's always when I get up for another slice of pizza. Robin Williams is talented, but sorry, that Marlon Brando bit was recycled. Him hosting the Oscar telecast would be a nightmare. I can take him in small doses, but his shtick is just old, imho. The show would balloon to 5 hours!

I enjoyed Steve Martin and I, unlike most people, thought Letterman was pretty good too. Whoopi was just okay. No one will ever do the job as well as Carson - he was the king. Someone on an after show mentioned that Jamie Foxx would probably do a good job as host - I can't disagree with that.

ITA about Sean Penn. Once again, he proved that he is the most humorless person at the Oscars. I'm fairly sure that Jude Law doesn't need little Sean Penn defending him.

LOVE that Morgan Freeman won - I've loved him since I grew up watching him on The Electric Company I wouldn't have minded if Alan Alda had won - I think he's just so cool.

I wasn't feeling the front of Hillary's dress, but the back - wowza! More power to her - I don't know many who could carry that off.
    I wanted to tuck Orlando Bloom's collar under his tie. What was that about? He needs to fire his stylist because he is way cuter than that.
    Virginia Madsen looked gorgeous in that dress.
    Renee Zellweger needs to EAT! She used to be so cute. She's starting to look like a baby bird.. or the separated-at-birth twin of Lara Flynn Boyle.
    Emmy Rossum from Phantom came on and I said "That girl's going to be a big star." She's definitely got "it."

Clint Eastwood's mother is 96! WOW! I was thinking he was going to say how she had passed away, but there she was alive and kicking. Those are some good genes.

I wasn't really rooting for anyone in particular this year but I always think it's nice when the "wealth" gets spread around. Now, when are the Tony's?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    If I never see Beyonce again it will be too soon. I guess Hollywood ran out of vocalists at the same time it ran out of funny people.
    But you must agree that Beyonce is truely one of the most talented singers of this generation, compared to people like britney?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by funkalicious
    But you must agree that Beyonce is truely one of the most talented singers of this generation, compared to people like britney?
    Say WHAT?

Quote Originally Posted by SQUATMAN
    Which Adam Sandler movie sucked the least?
    Spanglish (2004)
    50 First Dates (2004)
    Anger Management (2003)
    Mr. Deeds (2002)
    Punch-Drunk Love (2002)
    The Animal (2001)
    Little Nicky (2000)
    Big Daddy (1999)
    The Waterboy (1998)
    The Wedding Singer (1998)
    Bulletproof (1996)
    Happy Gilmore (1996)
    Billy Madison (1995)
    OK Squatman, I'll play:
    I'd say it's a tie for me between The Wedding Singer and 50 First dates.

I was having trouble staying awake during the Oscars. I thought it was incredibly boring. I liked the Golden Globes better. More acting awards and both movie & t.v. stars. Nothing against the people who work hard and deserve the other awards, but you have to admit, the famous people are more fun to watch.

I was all prepared to enjoy Chris Rock. I thought he'd be great as host. I was soooooo wrong. I thought he was horrible. I enjoyed the show though. I typed it on DVR so I could fast forward through most of the acceptance speeches and commercials. It's the only way to go.

I loved Jamie Foxx's speech. He sure did love his grandmother. She must have been a wonderful woman. I tear up everytime he talks about her.

What was up with Catherine Zeta-Jones? It was probably a set-up and she wasn't on the list at all. You would think that they would have know she wasn't backstage.

The montage of Carson had me in tears.

toothdoc
    Last edited by ToothDoc; 02-28-2005 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl

PhoneGrrrl, I, too, really enjoyed this year's show. I liked Chris Rock and thought he did a decent job.

The show was definitely much more upbeat than in years past and he was a major contributor to that feeling. While I enjoy Billy Crystal, he, like Robin Williams, can be quite draining. Ellen had her great moments, but definitely couldn't move a show along.

Sean Penn definitely proved, yet again, that he takes himself far too seriously. Chris Rock's joke about Jude Law at the beginning was funny as he went on and on about Jude Law being in every movie out there... even for baking cupcakes. I'm sure even Jude Law had a chuckle, as it wasn't an insult. If you take a step back from SP's pompous opening, he did a good job of tying it into his comments about the Best Actress award. I thought he tied the two together well.

I loved CR's little dig at Halle Berry... soon to be appearing in Catwoman2. Cute.

That was the quickest three hours and fifteen minute awards show I've ever watched. Kudos to everyone involved.

ToothDoc... I was sure the entire Catherine Zeta-Jones thing was a setup.

+ Reply to Thread